ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

cuba - england query?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

bossanovaboy

cuba - england query?

Post by bossanovaboy » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:08 am

my girlfriend from cuba is coming over in july on a family visa because she will be staying with her sister and her family since they are the ones who sponsered her. I met her last year when she was in england and we have been together over a year now, i have been cuba twice to see her too.

my question is when she comes in july we want to get married, is it possible? i am 24 and she is 19 and we dont want to get married so she can stay in the country its just something we both want and when her 6 month family visa expires she will go back.

thanks.

MPH80
Respected Guru

Post by MPH80 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:08 pm

In your last post you were talking about putting it off ...

In order to marry - she will either need to be here on a fiancee visa (either settlement or visitor), or you will need to apply for a Certificate Of Approval from the home office, or you'll need to marry in a Church of England church if you can find a vicar who will do it.

The COA will be tricky to obtain in time for a visitor visa as the application time line can be anywhere from 1-2 months to 1 year.

Vicars are also getting much more cautious about marrying international visitors as they may get accused of knowingly helping a false marriage.

Why are you rushing to get married when you won't be together?

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:24 pm

Both parties have to be 21 too, so it's not possible to gain a settlement visa based on marriage.

Nothing stopping you from marrying tho in theory provided you have time to organise a CoA.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

bossanovaboy

Post by bossanovaboy » Wed May 05, 2010 1:00 pm

ok thanks for the advice,

i had another question.

Her sister and husband are starting the paperwork to bring her over on a family/visit visa again, she came on that type of visa last year from june-dec and they are looking for her to come for possibly another 6 month period from july-jan.

It would have been 7 months since her last visit, would that be a problem? and last time she came with her mother but this time she will be solo.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Wed May 05, 2010 1:12 pm

bossanovaboy wrote:ok thanks for the advice,

i had another question.

Her sister and husband are starting the paperwork to bring her over on a family/visit visa again, she came on that type of visa last year from june-dec and they are looking for her to come for possibly another 6 month period from july-jan.

It would have been 7 months since her last visit, would that be a problem? and last time she came with her mother but this time she will be solo.
Six months in every 12 is the rule but the IO will be thinking about the 'genuine visitor' rule so bear that in mind.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

bossanovaboy

Post by bossanovaboy » Wed May 05, 2010 1:33 pm

Wanderer wrote:
bossanovaboy wrote:ok thanks for the advice,

i had another question.

Six months in every 12 is the rule but the IO will be thinking about the 'genuine visitor' rule so bear that in mind.

ok thanks wanderer,

i have told her not to mention me at all and obviously just to mention her sister and her niece whom she saw last year when she was born and of course her brother in law.

Its not like its a complete lie i mean she is coming to see her family and thats where she will be staying most of the duration she is here but she will be here to see me as well.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Wed May 05, 2010 2:34 pm

If you intend to apply for a fiance or spouse visa later on, you'll be 'shooting yourself in the foot' if you need to show length of relationship and don't mention it exists now. Everything is held on record. 8)

bossanovaboy

Post by bossanovaboy » Wed May 05, 2010 2:54 pm

Casa wrote:If you intend to apply for a fiance or spouse visa later on, you'll be 'shooting yourself in the foot' if you need to show length of relationship and don't mention it exists now. Everything is held on record. 8)
I would apply for that type of visa in 2012, when she is 21.

We have been together about a year now, I guess if they ask her she could say she has a boyfriend in the country but would that make immigration reject or reconsider her visa?

mrlookforward
BANNED

Post by mrlookforward » Mon May 10, 2010 10:36 pm

Mentioning a boyfriend will most likely go against her.

bossanovaboy

Post by bossanovaboy » Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:25 pm

Just wanted to bring this topic back, she is in the country now and we want to get married. I heard there has been a change in the law for coa's? So what options do we have??? Thanks

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:41 pm

bossanovaboy wrote:I heard there has been a change in the law for coa's? So what options do we have???
See Changes to the certificate of approval scheme

regards

bossanovaboy

Post by bossanovaboy » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:36 pm

thanks i gave that a read.

so technically if its abolished in november for example then to get married we just need to give 2 weeks notice and thats it ?

thanks

bossanovaboy

Post by bossanovaboy » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:02 pm

Anyone have advice for me???

MPH80
Respected Guru

Post by MPH80 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:42 pm

We don't know what it'll be replaced by - merely that it's being abolished ... and at some point in 2010/2011

bossanovaboy

Post by bossanovaboy » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:51 pm

Ok so we can get married via coa but that can take a while or we could get married in a Anglican church if i can find someone that believes the marriage is genuine. She is approaching her 2nd month of her 6 month visa.

ElenaW
Diamond Member

Post by ElenaW » Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:28 pm

bossanovaboy wrote:Ok so we can get married via coa but that can take a while or we could get married in a Anglican church if i can find someone that believes the marriage is genuine. She is approaching her 2nd month of her 6 month visa.
Yes those are your uk options. However, it takes quite a while to get COA or find someone to marry you in an Anglican church.
I tell it like it is.