ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Previous Earnings and Uplift Conversion Ratio

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ChromaticMind
Newly Registered

Previous Earnings and Uplift Conversion Ratio

Post by ChromaticMind » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:45 pm

Hello all,

I am currently working in the UK under the Tier 1 (Post-Study Work) Visa after completing my MA degree at SOAS last year.

I am employed as an editor in London and my salary is slightly short of the GBP 30,000 - 34,999 required to get 15 points in that category to get an overall 75 required to make my Tier 1(General) application.

I was hoping that I could show some income from India, as I freelance over the internet for many different Indian clients for editorial/proof-reading work already. The salary I receive from these Indian clients go to my Indian bank account and I pay tax in India for it as well. I do this work while living in the UK.

So when I do my Previous Earnings for my Tier 1 (General) application (from within the UK) later this year,

will I be able to show these earnings from my Indian clients using the UPLIFT Conversion Ratio? (as I get paid in Indian Rupees to an Indian bank and I pay Indian income tax on this as well)

or

will I be dis-allowed to use the Uplift ratio as I already live and work in the UK?

I hope someone out there can help me with this query.

Thanks!

aruni4470
Diamond Member

Re: Previous Earnings and Uplift Conversion Ratio

Post by aruni4470 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:56 pm

ChromaticMind wrote:Hello all,

I am currently working in the UK under the Tier 1 (Post-Study Work) Visa after completing my MA degree at SOAS last year.

I am employed as an editor in London and my salary is slightly short of the GBP 30,000 - 34,999 required to get 15 points in that category to get an overall 75 required to make my Tier 1(General) application.

I was hoping that I could show some income from India, as I freelance over the internet for many different Indian clients for editorial/proof-reading work already. The salary I receive from these Indian clients go to my Indian bank account and I pay tax in India for it as well. I do this work while living in the UK.

So when I do my Previous Earnings for my Tier 1 (General) application (from within the UK) later this year,

will I be able to show these earnings from my Indian clients using the UPLIFT Conversion Ratio? (as I get paid in Indian Rupees to an Indian bank and I pay Indian income tax on this as well)

or

will I be dis-allowed to use the Uplift ratio as I already live and work in the UK?

I hope someone out there can help me with this query.

Thanks!
You will not be able to use the uplift ratio when physically present in UK

pkumar
Member of Standing

Post by pkumar » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:21 pm

I know someone got refused coz he claimed points for some part time job in india while in uk .... ukba said you cannot claim earning while in uk ... he went for contesting it, not sure what happened ....

people should be sure to have proper paperwork for freelance work (as many people are showing fake to get ends meet) ... remember there is 10 year ban!

ChromaticMind
Newly Registered

Post by ChromaticMind » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:06 pm

Thanks for your reply. Its unfortunate that I cant use the uplift ratio but I still have time to earn more so I hope I'll be fine.

I do have another question:

If I dont use the uplift ratio, is it ok if the money is in my Indian bank or do I need to transfer/get paid in my UK bank??

Thanks for your quick responses!