ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Questions about fiancee visa for uk

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

divaboy
Newly Registered

Questions about fiancee visa for uk

Post by divaboy » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:35 am

As the title following on from a previous thread I'm looking into marrying my Taiwanese G/F in the uk.

I'm read all the qualifying criteria and it all seems ok apart from a couple of points.

The accommodation side is fine my mum can put us accommodate us initially and will be fine supplying us with a document to say as much.

My slight worry is because we are both travelling at the moment and as such I won't have a job on my arrival back into the UK. Now what sort of money figure in my bank are the UK immigration likely to consider enough to support ourselves with no help from the state.

Considering we will be able to live rent free and I obviously plan on getting a job on arrival.

Also we are planning on applying for this visa in Taipei, what sort of waiting times should we expect it says 5 working days , this seems abit a to quick anyone have any first hand experience of this ?

Any help would be great just to ease my mind

Many thanks

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:31 am

From what I read, a five figure sum in savings should be considered enough of a buffer by the ECO.

Please it's advisable to pay a nominal rent, just to show you are not totally reliant on the support of others.

You'll need to prove the accommodation is suitable as well. They won't take your word on anything.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

divaboy
Newly Registered

Post by divaboy » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:51 am

Wanderer wrote:From what I read, a five figure sum in savings should be considered enough of a buffer by the ECO.

Please it's advisable to pay a nominal rent, just to show you are not totally reliant on the support of others.

You'll need to prove the accommodation is suitable as well. They won't take your word on anything.
A Five figure sum in GBP even if i'm going to work once I get there? Seems excessive to say the least :x So i'm going to need in excess of 10k? Do they take into consideration Credit card limits and such?

The only other consideration is to marry in Hong kong or somewhere like this? If we did this what sort of procedure would my then wife have to go thorough?

Thanks for your quick reply

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:56 am

Always best for the Brit to move back to UK first in these situations and establish themselves, and call for the missus when the Spouse/Fiancee visa tests can be passed.

Don't forget the economy is on it's arse here, the ECO's know that and that work is not guaranteed in the short term, hence the need to show a few months buffer, or already have income.

Marrying in another country won't help, the same tests apply.

Also are you both 21 or over?

divaboy
Newly Registered

Post by divaboy » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:26 am

Wanderer wrote:Always best for the Brit to move back to UK first in these situations and establish themselves, and call for the missus when the Spouse/Fiancee visa tests can be passed.

Don't forget the economy is on it's arse here, the ECO's know that and that work is not guaranteed in the short term, hence the need to show a few months buffer, or already have income.

Marrying in another country won't help, the same tests apply.

Also are you both 21 or over?
We are both indeed over 21 years old. I'd have at least 6'000 GBP and access to 5k on credit cards and like I said no real out going apart from a nominal fee for the rent.

Maybe I was a little naive but I didn't think the process would be so difficult. I just assumed 5k GBP would be fine as a buffer........

No doubting your word mind , I really value your input......

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:52 am

U might be ok with £6k, wouldn't count the Credit Card limit tho, that's not really your money...

Mochyn here got a spouse visa with a lot less wonga so maybe wait for input there, it's just the visa is expensive and if I were you I'd want to be sure of getting it.

Basically UKBA just want to be sure you are not gonna be homeless, and you won't be a burden to society. With proof! Everything is checked now, hence the rising costs of visas, £500 for this one, £820 for the next in two years!

divaboy
Newly Registered

Post by divaboy » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:03 am

Wanderer wrote:U might be ok with £6k, wouldn't count the Credit Card limit tho, that's not really your money...

Mochyn here got a spouse visa with a lot less wonga so maybe wait for input there, it's just the visa is expensive and if I were you I'd want to be sure of getting it.

Basically UKBA just want to be sure you are not gonna be homeless, and you won't be a burden to society. With proof! Everything is checked now, hence the rising costs of visas, £500 for this one, £820 for the next in two years!
I starting to understand what you mean , so would it be beneficial if I could get a family member/friend to deposit another 5k in my bank to be sure? Or would that look even worse ?

Also letters from my mam and sister stating they have been on holiday with us and are happy to accommodate us etc etc ....and throw some photos in with date stamps on them showing us all happy and together to prove we are a couple ?

Again Wanderer thanks for your input really appreciate it ,any other suggestions or information I should be aware of ?

batleykhan

Post by batleykhan » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:39 am

starting to understand what you mean , so would it be beneficial if I could get a family member/friend to deposit another 5k in my bank to be sure? Or would that look even worse ?
Biggest mistake you will make doing this.

In my opinion 6k might be just enough, but i would still advise what Wanderer stated and that is you come here first get a job , sort out your accom and then call girl friend over.

You will stand a better chance of succeeding whereas the way you want to do it, everything is an assumption that you will have these things in place when in fact you haven't got anything in place.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:44 am

Dropping unexplained cash into ur account is an easy spot for the ECO! It would look worse and bad for you if it cannot be backup with credible proof such as a sworn affidavit from the depositor that it is a gift and not to be paid back. Proof again!

Would you not consider my suggestion u come here first and establish yourself? Gives you quality Stella time without the missus!

divaboy
Newly Registered

Post by divaboy » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:09 pm

Wanderer wrote:Dropping unexplained cash into ur account is an easy spot for the ECO! It would look worse and bad for you if it cannot be backup with credible proof such as a sworn affidavit from the depositor that it is a gift and not to be paid back. Proof again!

Would you not consider my suggestion u come here first and establish yourself? Gives you quality Stella time without the missus!
Indeed quality stella time would be good believe travelling for 18 months drinking the sugar water they call beer in the southern hemisphere , but due to visa constraints in Oz I have already spent 2 months away from her. Its not out of the question but I'd just prefer not to.

Read on another thread in here :- It IS acceptable for the Sponsor to be supported financially by his close family and to extend this support to his Fiancé initially, but after marriage there must be adequate evidence to show that the Sponsor or Applicant or preferably both will be able to provide their own income.

Its so annoying as if they knew my circumstances my mam and sister would be quite happy to put us up as they love my other half. And both are more then happy and able to provide financial support.

Suppose i'll do some more research and get letters and the like gathered together and hopefully get some more advice from you kind people on these forums :)

divaboy
Newly Registered

Post by divaboy » Sat May 01, 2010 7:21 am

In my opinion 6k might be just enough, but i would still advise what Wanderer stated and that is you come here first get a job , sort out your accom and then call girl friend over.

You will stand a better chance of succeeding whereas the way you want to do it, everything is an assumption that you will have these things in place when in fact you haven't got anything in place.
But surely though if I have a signed declaration from my mam saying she's happy for us to stay 6 months rent free in her house (with proof of ownership) or beyond if necessary is no longer a assumption as its proof I have somewhere to stay. On a similar note would it be beneficial if my sister wrote a similar letter stating she'd also be willing and able to accommodate us ? or would this be seen as a negative?

I'm been doing a great deal of thinking about the financial side of the visa application , if I could get a letter confirming re employment by my old company would this help sway things in my favor?

Please understand I'm not arguing against you helpful guys , just slowly but surely trying to build a checklist of things which would enhance the visa claim :)

I'm just glad I looked into before claiming because looking at the criteria at face value it seems it very easy to satisfy listening to the advice i've been given it seems its far from straight forward! [/quote]

amr-zoka
Newly Registered

fiancee visa for uk

Post by amr-zoka » Sat May 01, 2010 5:31 pm

Hi,

my husband got this type of visa to marry me in uk, tbh i applied for this as i didnt want to marry in egypt and not be able to come back with me.

neither of us had any savings, i dont know if its different country different rules, i did send in a bank statement to say i had recular money but as i didnt have much my sister also wrote a letter and sent in her bank statement saying if we needed any support she would be happy to help us financially. and my mum wrote a letter i think just so the embassy had reassurance that my husband would be looked afer and he got this fine, i was really worried coz i heard you needed thousands in your bank and thought he would be rejected but its not all that bad.

I think as you are going to live with your mum helps maybe just get her to write a letter saying that you will both be living at her address then they would have proof of that

hope this helps, sorry i dont know any proffesional advice just on what i have been through

hope it works out well for you take care
claire x

batleykhan

Post by batleykhan » Sat May 01, 2010 5:53 pm

But surely though if I have a signed declaration from my mam saying she's happy for us to stay 6 months rent free in her house (with proof of ownership) or beyond if necessary is no longer a assumption as its proof I have somewhere to stay. On a similar note would it be beneficial if my sister wrote a similar letter stating she'd also be willing and able to accommodate us ? or would this be seen as a negative?

Help in accommodation from a family is normally accepted in most cases. I dont think you will have problem with this part of the requirement

I'm been doing a great deal of thinking about the financial side of the visa application , if I could get a letter confirming re employment by my old company would this help sway things in my favor?

Sorry the ECO does not go by what might be available to you, He wants proof that you have it ( ie job.money, saving etc)

Please understand I'm not arguing against you helpful guys , just slowly but surely trying to build a checklist of things which would enhance the visa claim Smile

Yes we know that, but it is sometime better to listen to to someone who have dealt with such problems day in and day out. However the choice is yours

I'm just glad I looked into before claiming because looking at the criteria at face value it seems it very easy to satisfy listening to the advice i've been given it seems its far from straight forward!

You are not alone in thinking that . Ask the other thousands who come here for help. If it was as easy as you and other thought then this country woud have been fooded with peope from abroad......
:wink:

divaboy
Newly Registered

Post by divaboy » Sun May 02, 2010 4:03 am

batleykhan wrote:

Sorry the ECO does not go by what might be available to you, He wants proof that you have it ( ie job.money, saving etc)

Just so i'm certain about this even if I have a confirmed offer of a job with a start date confirmed with a letter from HR department , the ECO won't accept this as I have a job in the UK and therefore a means to support my future wife?

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sun May 02, 2010 7:21 am

The difference is "might be available" and "will be available".

If there is a firm job offer then there is no reason why that firm job offer will not be taken into account by the ECO.

Let's just remind ourselves of the nature of the financial test. That is, it is "merely" necessary to show that the visa applicant will not need to claim certain Public Funds. A firm job offer should be sufficient for that purpose.
John