ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Returning to the UK with partner, is this a good plan?

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Dirk

Returning to the UK with partner, is this a good plan?

Post by Dirk » Mon May 03, 2010 2:36 pm

Hi, im in China right now. I have been with my girlfriend for about 18 months. She is about to graduate from University and I have been working over here. I have a job being held open for me at home and really want to return. We have talked about getting married however I feel that without already being in employment and having virtually no savings (about £2000) this will not be good enough to fulfil the maintenance requirement though my parents will allow us to stay with them as long as like.

I was thinking she could come over on a visit visa initially for the full 6 months. We got one last year and spent 3 months in the UK. At the end of this time I thought we could go back to China, get married (which is very simple and quick here) then apply for the spouse visa as newly weds by which time I will have 6 months worth of pay slips and bank statements plus a home in the UK. Obviously the downside is she won't be able to work during this time though the eventual plan is for her to study a masters degree (her Bachelors is Mechanical Engineering) when we can save up or borrow the cash (probably the latter).

My worry is, would we get approved for a full 6 month visit? It seemed very easy to get a 6 month visa for our planned 3 month trip but will they pay more scrutiny to it if we max it out? She stuck to the terms of her previous UK visit and also has proof of trips to Hong Kong and Vietnam in her passport, planning a trip to South Korea or Singapore soon too.

Also my other big worry is that we will be married but wont really have had a "wedding", you get married in China by signing some forms in a police station, you then go off and throw a wedding party often months or years later. For us this event would be in the UK though if we can afford it maybe in Macao or mainland China when we come back after the 6 month trip.

Anyway so this was my plan, I was hoping anyone could help me with some feedback???

Thanks in advance.