ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Gap between 2 courses, visa extension from inside UK

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

searoze

Gap between 2 courses, visa extension from inside UK

Post by searoze » Wed May 05, 2010 2:50 am

Hi
1st of all, I appreciate all of you who help others for nothing. Bless all of you :)

I have came across a problem that I want to discuss here and neend some expert advice.

I am already in UK as a Tier 4 student, my visa is due to expire on 31st July
I have done a post graduate diploma, that was awarded to me on 28th Jan 2010, Since then am in process to get admission in MSc (Top up Dissertation). I applied in several Universities but unfortunatly, I couldnt get admission any where. So am not studying any where till now. The earliest course that is available to me is going to start in the last week of July 2010 that is one week prior to my esxisting leave to remain expires.

The Tier 4 guidence notes say:

72. If a student is already in the United Kingdom and his/her existing permission to stay runs out more than one month before the start-date of his/her proposed next course of study, he/she will be expected to return overseas and apply from outside the United Kingdom. If the applicant applies from inside the United Kingdom, his/her application will be refused. A month will be considered a calendar month (for example, if an applicant’s leave expires on 14 January his/her new course must start no later than 13 February).

73. We suggest that if a student’s course has ended and he/she is applying from inside the United Kingdom to extend his/her stay, he/she should apply in the last three months of his/her permission to stay if possible. This is because as soon as we give permission to stay (if the application is approved), the student’s new Tier 4 sponsor becomes responsible for them.

My question is, is it allright to apply any time before my existing leave expires or do I need to leave the country and apply again from home country ?

Any advice will be highly appreciated

Best regards

bartsimpsy
Newly Registered

Post by bartsimpsy » Wed May 05, 2010 9:48 am

Dear searoze...

I am in a similar position to you but on a totally different course.

My leave to remain expires on 12 July 2010. My new course is due start on 28 July 2010.

I have already made a same day appointment to extend my leave to remain and this has been scheduled for the second week of May 2010.

So in effect, I am renewing my visa 2-3 months before my leave to remain expires.

As long as your new course is within one month of your current leave to remain - you should be fine. And, YES - apply early, you have nothing to lose.

Good luck with everything inc. your studies and hope you do well!

searoze

Post by searoze » Wed May 05, 2010 1:11 pm

bartsimpsy wrote:Dear searoze...

I am in a similar position to you but on a totally different course.

My leave to remain expires on 12 July 2010. My new course is due start on 28 July 2010.

I have already made a same day appointment to extend my leave to remain and this has been scheduled for the second week of May 2010.

So in effect, I am renewing my visa 2-3 months before my leave to remain expires.

As long as your new course is within one month of your current leave to remain - you should be fine. And, YES - apply early, you have nothing to lose.

Good luck with everything inc. your studies and hope you do well!

Thank you very much for your reply
Actaually I want to know that there is more than 5 months gap btewenn my last course and new (purposed) course, does it matter ? Is there any rule about the gap allowed between 2 courses ?
Best ragrds

potterbond007
Member of Standing

Post by potterbond007 » Wed May 05, 2010 2:04 pm

From the info you have given it should be fine if you apply 2 - 3 months before your current leave to stay expires. If your course started sometime in september, then you would have had to go back and apply from your home country..

saaj79
Newly Registered

Post by saaj79 » Fri May 14, 2010 2:17 am

Hello mates im facing same problem here,
im here in uk as a student (not in tier 4) since 2006 now it will be my first extention,due in 28 july,2010.
my last course was finish in jan and after that i couldnt get admission at any place.
now my question is that if i get admission in university what will be happen about these two problems?.
there will be a study gap of 6 months from jan 2010 to july 2010
and
other problem is course is starting in september and leave to remain in th uk is going to expire in 28 july ?

as im not a tier 4 student so what do you think of 28 days rule will still apply in my application?
please give me refrence if you have.
many thanks

potterbond007
Member of Standing

Post by potterbond007 » Fri May 14, 2010 3:25 am

saaj79 wrote:Hello mates im facing same problem here,
im here in uk as a student (not in tier 4) since 2006 now it will be my first extention,due in 28 july,2010.
my last course was finish in jan and after that i couldnt get admission at any place.
now my question is that if i get admission in university what will be happen about these two problems?.
and
other problem is course is starting in september and leave to remain in th uk is going to expire in 28 july ?

as im not a tier 4 student so what do you think of 28 days rule will still apply in my application?
many thanks
If your course starts after 27 september, then you would have to apply from your home country. If your course starts within 27th september, then you should apply for your student visa before the 28th of july, ideally sometime in june.

saaj79
Newly Registered

Post by saaj79 » Fri May 14, 2010 11:26 am

but what will be happen if there is a gap of 6 months in my most recent course?
potterbond007 wrote:
and

many thanks
If your course starts after 27 september, then you would have to apply from your home country. If your course starts within 27th september, then you should apply for your student visa before the 28th of july, ideally sometime in june.

potterbond007
Member of Standing

Post by potterbond007 » Fri May 14, 2010 12:48 pm

saaj79 wrote:but what will be happen if there is a gap of 6 months in my most recent course?
It doesn't matter. The date of expiry of your visa matters.. Why cant you read the first post of this topic.. the information you need is clearly stated there..

crownvictory

Post by crownvictory » Fri May 14, 2010 8:16 pm

@potterbond007. Hi, my partner is on psw that runs out in 10th July2011. She's commencing a course on 1st feb 2011( while still on the psw). Is it possible to switch into T4 after the commencement of the course? ie btw feb and july2011. Thnx

potterbond007
Member of Standing

Post by potterbond007 » Sat May 15, 2010 3:12 am

crownvictory wrote:@potterbond007. Hi, my partner is on psw that runs out in 10th July2011. She's commencing a course on 1st feb 2011( while still on the psw). Is it possible to switch into T4 after the commencement of the course? ie btw feb and july2011. Thnx
yes

tall_funky
BANNED

Re: Gap between 2 courses, visa extension from inside UK

Post by tall_funky » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:59 pm

searoze wrote:Hi
1st of all, I appreciate all of you who help others for nothing. Bless all of you :)

I have came across a problem that I want to discuss here and neend some expert advice.

I am already in UK as a Tier 4 student, my visa is due to expire on 31st July
I have done a post graduate diploma, that was awarded to me on 28th Jan 2010, Since then am in process to get admission in MSc (Top up Dissertation). I applied in several Universities but unfortunatly, I couldnt get admission any where. So am not studying any where till now. The earliest course that is available to me is going to start in the last week of July 2010 that is one week prior to my esxisting leave to remain expires.

The Tier 4 guidence notes say:

72. If a student is already in the United Kingdom and his/her existing permission to stay runs out more than one month before the start-date of his/her proposed next course of study, he/she will be expected to return overseas and apply from outside the United Kingdom. If the applicant applies from inside the United Kingdom, his/her application will be refused. A month will be considered a calendar month (for example, if an applicant’s leave expires on 14 January his/her new course must start no later than 13 February).

73. We suggest that if a student’s course has ended and he/she is applying from inside the United Kingdom to extend his/her stay, he/she should apply in the last three months of his/her permission to stay if possible. This is because as soon as we give permission to stay (if the application is approved), the student’s new Tier 4 sponsor becomes responsible for them.

My question is, is it allright to apply any time before my existing leave expires or do I need to leave the country and apply again from home country ?

Any advice will be highly appreciated

Best regards
Hi Searoze,
I will be interested to know about your extension?

Cheers!
Kash

tall_funky
BANNED

Post by tall_funky » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:02 pm

saaj79 wrote:but what will be happen if there is a gap of 6 months in my most recent course?
potterbond007 wrote:
and

many thanks
Hi Saaj,
I will be interested to know the outcome?

Cheers!
Kash