ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Claiming child benefit need help pls on ILR visa

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

cheers2boss

Claiming child benefit need help pls on ILR visa

Post by cheers2boss » Sat May 08, 2010 3:41 pm

Hi,

Myself, wife and kid we all 3 got ILR in the month of Mar 2010. I want to know whether we can apply for child benefit? I have seen the hmrc website and I think we can apply for Child Benefit, can anyone confirm the same please?

I am working whereas my wife isn't, so on whose name should we claim the child benefit (mine or my wife), will it be safe to claim on wife's name, need experts suggestion please?

Thanks

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sat May 08, 2010 4:09 pm

The answer to your question is actually very simple! Look at the ILR visas .... and the conditions on those visas! Arrh what, there are no conditions! Exactly! So there are no problems claiming benefits that your circumstances dictate you are entitled to.

Who should claim the Child Benefit? CB is claimed by just one person, and it can be either parent living with the child. However there is, in effect, a convention that CB is claimed by the mother, but up to the two of you to decide who should be the CB claimant.

Also, don't overlook also claiming Tax Credits, unless the family income is nicely over £50K per year. Tax Credits, in respect of a couple living together, must be in the joint names of the couple.
John