ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

will claiming these benefits affect my husband's ILR at PEO

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Swan

will claiming these benefits affect my husband's ILR at PEO

Post by Swan » Sun May 09, 2010 6:47 pm

Hi

I am an ILR holder and soon to be naturalised, my husband has a 2 years spouse dependent visa and is due to apply for ILR in a year time. We are having a baby this summer.
we both work full time.
I was wondering if I could apply for the health in pregnancy grant(190 pounds one off payment), child benefit and working tax credits without affecting my husband's application for ILR later on, especially that we are planning to do it same day at PEO ?
If no, does he have to tick the boxes in the SET(M) to confirm that we did apply for them?
would it be wiser not to claim anything until he gets his ILR? ( although we will be in a bit of struggle since I am planning to be on maternity leave for a year so every little will help! )
Please advice us
Thanks

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sun May 09, 2010 7:52 pm

Given that you have ILR, there is no problem with the benefit claims you mention. They will have no effect upon your husband's ILR application, nor upon any application for Naturalisation.
John

Swan

Post by Swan » Sun May 09, 2010 8:47 pm

John wrote:Given that you have ILR, there is no problem with the benefit claims you mention. They will have no effect upon your husband's ILR application, nor upon any application for Naturalisation.
thank you so much for your quick reply John.

should we tick the relevant boxes on the SET(M) form to specify which ones i am applying for? should we tick them for both of us or just on my side?
thanks again

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sun May 09, 2010 9:27 pm

This is actually quite technical, and it does not help that the form is badly designed.

I would do as you suggest, that is, answer the Public Funds question "Yes", but you only tick the relevant benefits in your column.
John

Swan

Post by Swan » Wed May 12, 2010 4:10 pm

John wrote:This is actually quite technical, and it does not help that the form is badly designed.

I would do as you suggest, that is, answer the Public Funds question "Yes", but you only tick the relevant benefits in your column.
thanks again John, I will do as you said
Swan