ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

From student visa to spouse visa, travel while study

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

sergeyhlopac
Newly Registered

From student visa to spouse visa, travel while study

Post by sergeyhlopac » Wed May 12, 2010 4:16 pm

Hello,
I hope somebody can help me here. My girlfriend(Russian) and myself(British) finally got married here in UK and now we are husband and wife. We went to HO and applied in person to get spouse/marriage visa (FLR(M) form). Our visit was successful and we got the spouse/marriage visa however at that time my wife still had a student visa but her ID card was taken and replace by new one that is valid for 24 month. Her study is still on and will be until July but college itself happened to be a really waste of time with regards to knowledge quality the deliver so I don’t see the point curry on that course but find a better alternative in live. Also we want to go and visit our families in Russia for few week while my wife's study is still on so the question is whether we can have any problems on border while coming back (questions like why you have been traveling if you have to study etc.) and in two years time when we apply for ILR (same sort of questions why you didn't finished you study etc.) Personally I’m pretty sure we are fine to do whatever we think is right for both of us however some extra advise or assurance would be great to have. Thanks in advance. Sasha.

stmellon

Post by stmellon » Wed May 12, 2010 5:38 pm

sergeyhlopac, I'm afraid that your post is a little bit difficult to read.
question is whether we can have any problems on border while coming back (questions like why you have been traveling if you have to study etc.)
I don't believe so. Firstly, UK student visas are multi entry to allow students to come and go - your wife is not the first foreign student to want to go home to visit family! On top of that, as your wife will be travelling on the marriage visa it probably won't be obvious to the Immigration Officer that she is/was a student. She'll more likely to be asked where she has been and where her husband is than about her studies.

and in two years time when we apply for ILR (same sort of questions why you didn't finished you study etc.)
Yes, the question may be asked but it shouldn't form any reason for refusal of the ILR, assuming that there is no suggestion of absuing the system in other ways e.g. overstaying or working in excess of the permitetd hours etc. You will need to demonstrate that you are in a continuing relationship so don't forget to add her name to household bills asap.

In respect of the course that she is doing, what is it and what qualification will it provide? Immigration matters aside, if there's only two months left to the end of the course, why not just see it out?

sergeyhlopac
Newly Registered

Post by sergeyhlopac » Wed May 12, 2010 5:53 pm

Thanks alot for you reply.
Yes we will see, may even wait untill July, however we really want to go for honey moon now as i have some free time from work. Sorry for my post beeing a bit confusing.
Best wishes.