ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Maintaining Citizenship

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Lutus
Newly Registered

Maintaining Citizenship

Post by Lutus » Fri May 14, 2010 2:51 pm

Can any body tell me what the situation is regarding maintaining Irish Citizenship if residing outside of Ireland? With the economic situation as it is many may be forced to look abroad for work.

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Fri May 14, 2010 3:01 pm

Assuming you are a referring to Irish citizenship obtained through naturalisation:

CitizensInformation wrote:Revoking citizenship

The Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform can revoke your certificate of naturalisation if:

* You obtained it through fraud, misrepresentation or concealment of material facts or circumstances
* You have, through an overt act, failed in your duty of fidelity to the nation and loyalty to the State
* You were ordinarily resident outside Ireland (other than in public service) for a continuous period of 7 years and, without a reasonable excuse, did not register your name and a declaration of your intention to retain Irish citizenship with an Irish diplomatic mission or consular office or with the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform on an annual basis
* You are also, under the law of a country at war with the State, a citizen of that country
* You have, by any other voluntary act other than marriage, acquired citizenship of another country.
I am no longer posting publicly on this website - PM me if needed.

Lutus
Newly Registered

Post by Lutus » Fri May 14, 2010 3:07 pm

Thanks for that, but does that mean you have to regsiter annualy during the seven years and then after seven consecutive years outside the state its revoked regardless of if you register or not?

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Fri May 14, 2010 3:33 pm

Lutus wrote:Thanks for that, but does that mean you have to regsiter annualy during the seven years and then after seven consecutive years outside the state its revoked regardless of if you register or not?
I don't think so. As long as you register your name and a declaration of your intention to retain Irish citizenship with an Irish diplomatic mission or consular office or with the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform on an annual basis, it appears that your Irish citizenship would not be revoke.
I am no longer posting publicly on this website - PM me if needed.

mktsoi
Member of Standing

Post by mktsoi » Sat May 15, 2010 4:09 am

Lutus wrote:Thanks for that, but does that mean you have to regsiter annualy during the seven years and then after seven consecutive years outside the state its revoked regardless of if you register or not?
take a look at this 2 guys

http://www.stormfront.org/forum/t149865/

they have not even cancel their passports. they were running some major scams and irish government has not even done a damn thing about it. you worry about living outside ireland for 7 years and they cancel your citizenship?