ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Transiting Through UK airport to Ireland using stamp 4EUFam

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

PaddyPower
Newly Registered

Transiting Through UK airport to Ireland using stamp 4EUFam

Post by PaddyPower » Fri May 14, 2010 10:28 pm

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to ask you all something about transiting through UK airport to ireland with Residence card stamp 4EUFam.

I am a British citizen working in ireland(exercising EU treaty rights) and my wife(indian/visa national) holds residence card issued in ireland with stamp 4EUFam.

Can my wife flying on her own from india to ireland by transiting through london airport be allowed to go past UK immigration control to catch next flight without any hassle by showing her GNIB card stamp 4EUFam ???

I really need some help as the UK boarder agency/home office website states as follows.....

Transit by air to and from the Republic of Ireland, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man

If you are a visa national or an exempt DATV national passing through the UK by air on your way to or from the Republic of Ireland, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man, you may qualify for transit without visa If you hold...

1. A valid common format category D visa for entry to an EEA state.
2. A valid common format residence permit issued by an EEA state under Council Regulation (EC) number 1030/2002.

As most of you might be aware that Ireland does not issue a common format category D type visa once the Non-EU national acquires residence card stamp 4eufam.

I am just wondering if UK immigration officers would recognise the GNIB card stamp 4EUFam as a valid residence permit to transit through UK airport to ireland???

Has anyone experienced this situation? please share your views...

Thanks a mil

Lutus
Newly Registered

Post by Lutus » Thu May 20, 2010 11:22 am

My understanding is that if you wife would ordinarily require a visa to enter the UK she will require one even if she is only transiting through the UK to Ireland. I certainly required one even though was only going to be in Heathrow for 6 hours and not even leaving the Airport terminal. This is due presumably to the fact that flights to and from Ireland are almost considered "domestic" flights and you do not remain "airside" when making the connection .