ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Wife's dependent visa - must she travel to UK by 6 months ?

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

simantadatta

Wife's dependent visa - must she travel to UK by 6 months ?

Post by simantadatta » Sat May 15, 2010 4:08 am

Hi - We are currently in India and I am filing UK tier 2 visa. I will be filing my wife's dependent visa along with me. I plan to travel right away but my wife will travel early next year (as we are pregnant)

However, someone told me that once the Visa is stamped, my wife MUST travel to UK within 6 months. Is that correct ? I got another contradictory comment that the 6 month restriction is only for my (primary holder) travel and NOT for the spouse. What is correct ?

The 2nd question is, the baby will be born in Sep-2010 (3 months from now) when I should be in UK. So, should my wife (A) file her dependent visa NOW along with me and again apply for our baby's dependent visa alone somewhere in Nov or (B) Should she NOT file her dependent visa now and then file her's and baby's together in Nov when I am in UK ? .... Which is more recommeded based on chance of rejection and convenience ?

Thanks!
Last edited by simantadatta on Sat May 15, 2010 11:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

rcha123
BANNED

Post by rcha123 » Sat May 15, 2010 11:09 am

A visa overstay and deportation is a criminal offence and he does have a record. He may not have gone to court, but it is still a criminal offence to overstay in any country.Is there a link on the UK Work Permit or UK Immigrations websites where it specifically mentions that the dependent/spouse can carry on working in the UK with his/her valid dependent visa even if the main applicant has left the UK.

simantadatta

Post by simantadatta » Sat May 15, 2010 11:31 am

rcha123 wrote:A visa overstay and deportation is a criminal offence and he does have a record. .
We aren't talking about overstay here ! We are in India, and I just want to know if there is any restriction of 6 months between visa stamp date and travel date for the dependent.

And the 2nd question is about the baby's visa.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Sat May 15, 2010 12:06 pm

There is no so-called "6 month" time limit for the dependent to travel to the UK. One can travel anytime during the validity of his visa.

It is entirely your decision whether your wife should apply for a dependent visa now or whether the mother & child should apply for a visa after the child is born. Immigration rules dictate no such thing.

regards

simantadatta

Post by simantadatta » Sat May 15, 2010 1:25 pm

sushdmehta wrote:There is no so-called "6 month" time limit for the dependent to travel to the UK. One can travel anytime during the validity of his visa.regards
Thanks for the response.

But there is a rule that the primary visa holder's travel to UK must happen within 6 months of the CoS (Certificate of Sponsorship) issue date, correct ?

So I guess it's not applicable for dependent.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Sat May 15, 2010 1:37 pm

AIUI, one has to apply for visa within 3 months of CoS being issued, else the CoS expires.

Not aware of any time limits on travel for the main (Tier 2) migrant. Doesn't CoS has a (employment) joining date? What if the joining date is more than six months away - Tier 2 migrants cannot enter UK more than 14 days before the joining date!

regards
Last edited by geriatrix on Mon May 17, 2010 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

simantadatta

Post by simantadatta » Sun May 16, 2010 4:19 pm

sushdmehta wrote:AIUI, one has to apply for visa within 3 months of CoS being issued, else the CoS expires. Not aware of any time limits on travel for the main (Tier 2) migrant.
Huh.. even I couldn't find anywhere on the internet about the 6 months rule on the primary holder. But my company (one of the most reputed in India, so can't just throw away) says on their UK tier 2 (ICT) guidelines that

"CoS is only valid for 3 months for presentation to the British Consular posts in support of visa (entry clearance) applications. All applicants are therefore required to apply for entry clearance within 3 months of issue date of CoS else, the CoS will become invalid. Once the visa (entry clearance) is obtained you should enter the UK within 6 months from the date of issue of the CoS"

Where can I authenticate this info ? Ofcourse, the first thing I'm going to do on Monday is to check with my company's immigration team about this 6 month's rule.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Mon May 17, 2010 4:10 am

simantadatta wrote:"Once the visa (entry clearance) is obtained you should enter the UK within 6 months from the date of issue of the CoS"
Couldn't find anything on the UKBA website that suggests so.

regards