ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 1 Dependent Visa - in country?

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

xpscapable
Australia

Tier 1 Dependent Visa - in country?

Post by xpscapable » Mon May 17, 2010 3:03 am

Hi,

I'm currently doing a research on this but still can't find a definite answer.

My current situation: I'm currently in UK with Tier 1 visa. My fiancée is currently in UK with a working holiday visa. We're getting married next year and would like to apply her visa as my dependent. The question is:

1) Is it possible for her to apply for the dependent visa while she's in UK?

2) How long does it take for the dependent visa application to be completed from start to finish? Is this country by country based, assuming she has to apply from home country (Australia)

Thanks a lot!

xps

alimohmand

Post by alimohmand » Mon May 17, 2010 7:03 am

Answer is No she has to go back and Apply from Australia as her current leave does not allow her to switch in to dependent visa/

In regards to your second question it may vary though if you have everything in place it may take upto 10 days to get a visa. (working days
means 2 weeks).
Above time is based on you have proper documentation for your dependent.

Good Luck

Ali

bex_m
Newly Registered

Re: Tier 1 Dependent Visa - in country?

Post by bex_m » Mon May 17, 2010 10:16 am

xpscapable wrote:Hi,

I'm currently doing a research on this but still can't find a definite answer.

My current situation: I'm currently in UK with Tier 1 visa. My fiancée is currently in UK with a working holiday visa. We're getting married next year and would like to apply her visa as my dependent. The question is:

1) Is it possible for her to apply for the dependent visa while she's in UK?

2) How long does it take for the dependent visa application to be completed from start to finish? Is this country by country based, assuming she has to apply from home country (Australia)

Thanks a lot!

xps
I agree with last post, you cannot apply from within the UK. My partner and I have just been through the exact same process. He had to go back to New Zealand to get the VISA. But it was processed very quickly. We applied in February and he had our passports back in his hands within two weeks, including all postage times. Was very happy it was so quick! Our passports had to go to Canberra for processing, so even with all that postage, ws still sorted very quickly!

xpscapable
Australia

Post by xpscapable » Mon May 17, 2010 11:07 am

Right thanks, just not sure with the docs if she's actually "switching" for dependent visa which from what you guys said she actually does.

But question for the last poster, what do you mean "our passport" does it need to have both passport in the application?

bex_m
Newly Registered

Post by bex_m » Mon May 17, 2010 12:48 pm

xpscapable wrote:Right thanks, just not sure with the docs if she's actually "switching" for dependent visa which from what you guys said she actually does.

But question for the last poster, what do you mean "our passport" does it need to have both passport in the application?
My boyfriend was also on working holiday, and he had to go home to become my dependent on my Tier 1 VISA. You cannot switch within the UK.

I sent both our passports in, as part of the proof for our relationship being real was all the travels we have done together. They told me I either had to send my passport in or photocopy ever page of relevance.... We have already been here two years, and have done A LOT of travel in that time. So I sent my passport in as well. They need a copy of your VISA at the very least.

rohitktm

Post by rohitktm » Mon May 17, 2010 9:45 pm

Just want to continue this wish a small additional query.
Does this applies to one who want to switch from student visa to Tier 1 Dependent visa? Thanks in advance.

rohitktm

Post by rohitktm » Mon May 17, 2010 9:54 pm

Just found somethig interesting which says that the applicant can switch as a dependent of Tier 1 from other category if they were granted 6 months of visa earlier... is this new rule?

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/partn ... s/#header2

If you are already in the UK

If you entered the UK in a different immigration category (for example, as a student), you may be allowed to switch into the category of husband, wife or civil partner if we have given you a total of more than six months' permission to live here since your most recent admission to the UK. This permission must have been given in accordance with the Immigration Rules, not 'exceptionally' (outside the Immigration Rules). For example, if we gave you permission to enter for three months and then permission to remain for five months, you have been given a total of eight months - which means you can apply to switch into the category of husband, wife or civil partner.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Tue May 18, 2010 1:18 am

rohitktm wrote:Just found somethig interesting which says that the applicant can switch as a dependent of Tier 1 from other category if they were granted 6 months of visa earlier... is this new rule?

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/partn ... s/#header2

If you are already in the UK

If you entered the UK in a different immigration category (for example, as a student), you may be allowed to switch into the category of husband, wife or civil partner if we have given you a total of more than six months' permission to live here since your most recent admission to the UK. This permission must have been given in accordance with the Immigration Rules, not 'exceptionally' (outside the Immigration Rules). For example, if we gave you permission to enter for three months and then permission to remain for five months, you have been given a total of eight months - which means you can apply to switch into the category of husband, wife or civil partner.
It's not switching to dependent of Tier 1 migrant, but switching to spouse/civil partner of a settled person.

regards