ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Protest over work permits

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

sovtek

Protest over work permits

Post by sovtek » Wed May 26, 2010 9:49 am

Campaign for the Right to Change Employer

Workers in the Employment Permit System deserve the right to change employer!

PUBLIC DEMONSTRATION

Wednesday, 2 June 2010
12:15 pm
Office of Minister Batt O’Keeffe
23 Kildare Street, Dublin 2

We need your voice!

Gian Work Permit

Minister Batt O'Keeffe's lack of action on our ongoing calls to grant employment permit holders the right to change employer has led us to hold a public demonstration. Every day MRCI hears from migrant workers who are unable to leave exploitative working conditions because of the rigid and inflexible employment permit system.

For more information on the campaign see:http://www.mrci.ie/news_events/index.ht ... tyCampaign

NewIrish

Post by NewIrish » Wed May 26, 2010 10:07 am

Good luck...

Every day in the news u can hear about jobs being lost...I do not think anyone will care about migrant workers these days....

sovtek

Post by sovtek » Wed May 26, 2010 10:16 am

NewIrish wrote:Good luck...

Every day in the news u can hear about jobs being lost...I do not think anyone will care about migrant workers these days....
Are you a migrant worker? Do you care if you loose your job? Do you have to worry about loosing your job AND having immigration problems because of it? Do you also have to worry about where the €150 GNIB is going to come from. Have you had your employer threaten you if you don't pay the €1000 work permit fee?
Do you not think that there are thousands of Irish and EU nationals out there who also have to worry about their non-eu spouses, partners, neighbors and friends?
Did you see the thousands that came out for the rally against the dearly beloved killing of the Nigerian boy Toyosi?
Millions of workers in Greece stood up against the Greek government and hundreds of thousands of those people were immigrants.
Hundreds of thousands in America marched against the dearly beloved Arizona immigrantion laws.
It can happen here too.
Thousands have been up in front of the Dail over the last two weeks in protest with the Right to Work campaign. One of the demands is jobs for ALL including migrant workers. Thousands of people have come out in support of that and it's building.

9jeirean

Post by 9jeirean » Wed May 26, 2010 10:30 am

It is called freedom of expression as long as it is done within legal boundaries. Don't buy into all those brainwashing about 'nobody cares about immigrants because other people are losing their jobs'. If you allow yourself to be caged in that mind set, am afraid that's where you'll always be. If the protest is not your 'cup-a-tea' fair enough, but I wouldn't stop or disparage anyone from voicing their concerns.

Good luck y'all.

9jeirean
What lies behind us and ahead of us is nothing compared to what lies within us

sovtek

Post by sovtek » Fri May 28, 2010 11:09 am

9jeirean wrote:

It is called freedom of expression as long as it is done within legal boundaries. Don't buy into all those brainwashing about 'nobody cares about immigrants because other people are losing their jobs'. If you allow yourself to be caged in that mind set, am afraid that's where you'll always be. If the protest is not your 'cup-a-tea' fair enough, but I wouldn't stop or disparage anyone from voicing their concerns.

Good luck y'all.

9jeirean
To further your point 9. In 1958 at the begining of the civil rights movement in America, polls show that most Americans were for segregation laws. As the civil rights struggle continued people saw how the state actually treated black Americans and most were appauled.
By 1965 polls show most Americans had changed their attitude and eventually the Jim Crow laws were repealed.
There is no reason to think it would be different here. People's consciousness changes through struggle as they come up against the limitations of the state. There is no doubt that the immigration policies of the Irish government are appauling and as more people are made aware through immigrants struggling against these policies things can change.
It is also in our favor that immigrants aren't the cause of unemployment.
While it's true that companies will put migrant workers against "locals" that doesn't cause unemployment.
The cause of unemployment is billionare investors going on strike and hording their loot. This all made on our backs of course.
As migrant workers and locals alike struggle against loosing their jobs etc etc this too becomes obvious and makes it harder for the government and the capitalists alike to divide and conquer.

walrusgumble
BANNED

Post by walrusgumble » Fri May 28, 2010 11:15 am

sovtek wrote:

Are you a migrant worker? Do you care if you loose your job? Do you have to worry about loosing your job AND having immigration problems because of it? Do you also have to worry about where the €150 GNIB is going to come from. Have you had your employer threaten you if you don't pay the €1000 work permit fee?
Do you not think that there are thousands of Irish and EU nationals out there who also have to worry about their non-eu spouses, partners, neighbors and friends?
Did you see the thousands that came out for the rally against the dearly beloved killing of the Nigerian boy Toyosi?
Millions of workers in Greece stood up against the Greek government and hundreds of thousands of those people were immigrants.
Hundreds of thousands in America marched against the dearly beloved Arizona immigrantion laws.
It can happen here too.
Thousands have been up in front of the Dail over the last two weeks in protest with the Right to Work campaign. One of the demands is jobs for ALL including migrant workers. Thousands of people have come out in support of that and it's building.
1. The poster was not attacking the protest, but simply telling ye what to expect, ie little or not support and /or apathy from the government and the irish people. Sadly, he /she maybe right, how many of the migrants actually enjoy voting rights for the Dáil elections - the politicans will only care about keeping voters happy (that is not, btw saying a majority of irish people want the hard working immigrant out - certaintly not, but if their job is one the line, will they not worry about themselves?). But the best of luck, don't let it in any way put yet down. fight.

2. Thousands at the funeral. My arse, no where near 2,000 was at the rally. No more than 1,500. It got damn all media attention, it was hijacked by certain political parties for their own use and it completely prejudice the future criminal law case (well done, even if the motives were dearly beloved, the defendants could have a good cause to complain that they won't get a fair trial as the motive seems to have been determined by a small group of people as oppose to the courts)

3. Work permits were granted in areas where the companies were unable to get enough Irish or EU citizens to work in the particular sector. The availability of work permits has greatly limited to a few sectors because there is no demand for employees in the said sectors. The permit is only valid if there is a demand for non eu citizens. People who took up these permits knew the risks in hte early 2000's

3. Spouses of Irish and NOn EU. Jesus, even if they are not working (non eu and irish) their status will not be effected so long as the irish and or eu is working and or can still provide for their family. that is a moot point

4. were are the figures for the nationalitites of protesters in Greece. That was a protest about domestic matters caused by the banks and other financial institutions. It had nothing to do with the immigrant's rights to work

5. Laws in Arozonia. Despite the protests, have the laws being enforced?

6. You say that the Irish protesters are campainging for rights of migrants too? THat's great, who is by the way? I am glad to hear it. Your being very economical about the figures who have actually gone out to protest infront of the dail

Still best of luck. But please be more honest and accurate with your points

walrusgumble
BANNED

Post by walrusgumble » Fri May 28, 2010 11:27 am

sovtek wrote:
9jeirean wrote:

Good luck y'all.

9jeirean
To further your point 9. In 1958 at the begining of the civil rights movement in America, polls show that most Americans were for segregation laws. As the civil rights struggle continued people saw how the state actually treated black Americans and most were appauled.
By 1965 polls show most Americans had changed their attitude and eventually the Jim Crow laws were repealed.
There is no reason to think it would be different here. People's consciousness changes through struggle as they come up against the limitations of the state. There is no doubt that the immigration policies of the Irish government are appauling and as more people are made aware through immigrants struggling against these policies things can change.
While it's true that companies will put migrant workers against "locals" that doesn't cause unemployment.
The cause of unemployment is billionare investors going on strike and hording their loot. This all made on our backs of course.
As migrant workers and locals alike struggle against loosing their jobs etc etc this too becomes obvious and makes it harder for the government and the capitalists alike to divide and conquer.
Your analogy as to what caused unemployment is fair enough, but a tad bit simple, but points are fair enough

What has beloved got to do with an particular country within the EU not opening or closing the opportunities for work to non EU citizens who do not have any other right to reside in Europe other than permission to work? I am not referring to people whose family members are EU citizens. The EU must look after their own EU citizens first.

The colour of their skin did not effect them when they actually got a job so your comparsion to the civil rights movement is moot and not relevant here.

sovtek

Post by sovtek » Fri May 28, 2010 11:51 am

walrusgumble wrote:
sovtek wrote:
9jeirean wrote:

Good luck y'all.

9jeirean
Your analogy as to what caused unemployment is fair enough, but a tad bit simple, but points are fair enough

What has beloved got to do with an particular country within the EU not opening or closing the opportunities for work to non EU citizens who do not have any other right to reside in Europe other than permission to work? I am not referring to people whose family members are EU citizens. The EU must look after their own EU citizens first.

The colour of their skin did not effect them when they actually got a job so your comparsion to the civil rights movement is moot and not relevant here.
You confuse "looking after EU citizens first" with classifying people by where they come from.
It is a dearly beloved sytem (and it doesn't help EU citizens in any way) especially when you see how the facts on the ground manifest themselves such as treating non-eu spouses differently than other spouses, the outright hostility different nationalities get at immigration, the way immigrants are discriminated against when look for a job (thats ignoring the descriminatory work permit system).
You also seem to fail to grasp the point I was making how attitudes can change when people rise up against the system that oppresses them...so my comparison is quite apt.

IrishTom
BANNED

Post by IrishTom » Fri May 28, 2010 2:39 pm

sovtek wrote: You also seem to fail to grasp the point I was making how attitudes can change when people rise up against the system that oppresses them...so my comparison is quite apt.
Are you being oppressed, Sovtek? By whom?

Darkhorse

Post by Darkhorse » Fri May 28, 2010 2:50 pm

IrishTom wrote:
sovtek wrote: You also seem to fail to grasp the point I was making how attitudes can change when people rise up against the system that oppresses them...so my comparison is quite apt.
Unable to change employment has left the worker open for wide range of possible abuse. Restriction on work permit holder to change employer is unfair and unreasonable. More it is an abuse of human right for freedom of employment.

The government should either grant work permit and allow change of employer OR do not grant work permit all.

If immigration does not come of Ireland that is other issue. However once they have entered the state, they have to be treated fairly.

If the immigrant lose their job and have to leave the country so be it.
As long as they are able to find other employer while still legally in this country, they should be allowed to move to other employer.

sovtek

Post by sovtek » Fri May 28, 2010 3:50 pm

Darkhorse wrote: If the immigrant lose their job and have to leave the country so be it.
I would agree with most of what you say except this part.
It's usually not the fault of the immigrant if they loose their job and the threat of loosing your job is too easily held over migrant workers to exploit them.
It also ignores the fact that many people living here have been here for years over the required 5 years to obtain residency and citizenship. Ireland denies this option to 47% of the people that apply. That is decades of percentage points above the average in the first world.
People shouldn't have to worry about being torn from the lives they've built over a number of years because the government wants to make a scapegoat for their incompetance and corruption(in cahoots with employers in this country, of which many are to also blame for this crisis).
Migrant workers pay into the system just like anyone else (and even more actually) and they should have the same security in their livelyhood and where they live as anyone else.
I consider it a crime to kick someone out of the country because they loose their job...the government then keeping all the revenue they've collected from the migrant including PRSI.

sovtek

Post by sovtek » Fri May 28, 2010 3:52 pm

IrishTom wrote:
Obviously you haven't been paying attention.

walrusgumble
BANNED

Post by walrusgumble » Fri May 28, 2010 3:58 pm

sovtek wrote:
walrusgumble wrote:
sovtek wrote:
9jeirean wrote:

Good luck y'all.

9jeirean

You confuse "looking after EU citizens first" with classifying people by where they come from.
It is a dearly beloved sytem (and it doesn't help EU citizens in any way) especially when you see how the facts on the ground manifest themselves such as treating non-eu spouses differently than other spouses, the outright hostility different nationalities get at immigration, the way immigrants are discriminated against when look for a job (thats ignoring the descriminatory work permit system).
You also seem to fail to grasp the point I was making how attitudes can change when people rise up against the system that oppresses them...so my comparison is quite apt.
If you are not capable of directly referring to questions that have being put to you please do not respond. Instead you go off an another angle. I clearly referred to Non EU nationals who have no link to EU countries via their family. This thread is referring to work permit holders! therefore, viz a vis people who are not related to EU nationals! so whatever you say in the above has no relevance to either (a) the thread) or (b) the comments directed to you which you are replying too. It is a different topic

When you actualy get ride of the persecution complex and your head out of the ground maybe then and only then you will be taken seriously. You give the same guff (or at least you did) in other sites like politics.ie and boards.ie. It did not last long.

THe EU Treaty is voted by various EU states. THe treaty sets out primarily, to be based in the interests of its members states, first and foremost. It is there to protect those who hold EU citizens. In order to obtain EU citizenship, one must have some link to a country of that EU, or be related to a citizen of a particular member state. Like it or not, it is based on where some one comes from. How can you justify an asian or african who has not yet obtained citizenship of a EU country to be considered an EU citizen? So your saying that I would have the EXACT same rights as you do if I moved to your country? (assuming that you are not from any countries that make up the EU).

THe EU are clear on their position regarding non EU citizens who don't fall within EU law. They allow their member state draw up their own laws. You think Ireland is bad, ha, maybe you should see how Greece and Italy carried on by refusing to allow asylum seekers enter their countries.

I can assure you their is no confusion on my part. THe EU laws are for the benefit of EU citizens first and non nationals second (with the exceptions of non nationals who are family members of EU nationals who are treated as equal to other EU nationals)

Even the EU is not an open door hotel. SOrry if I sound harsh but the faster people realised this the better. I again call on you to explain the relevance of your rheotric regarding the Civil Rights Movement. By your analogy, Austrialia and US are also a dearly beloved system. Geee SOuth Africa have being great pals to the immigrants like Zimbabweans and Mosambiques in the past decade

IrishTom
BANNED

Post by IrishTom » Fri May 28, 2010 4:01 pm

sovtek wrote:
IrishTom wrote:
Or maybe all this oppression malarky is just in your head.

sovtek

Post by sovtek » Fri May 28, 2010 4:16 pm

walrusgumble wrote:
If you are not capable of directly referring to questions that have being put to you please do not respond.
I'll respond to anything I please within the forum rules (which seem to be pretty sparse).
On the other hand I could say unless you are able to comprehend the point I'm making not to respond, but again I leave that to the moderators to police.

You give the same guff (or at least you did) in other sites like politics.ie and boards.ie. It did not last long.
:rolleyes:
By your analogy, Austrialia and US are also a dearly beloved system. Geee SOuth Africa have being great pals to the immigrants like Zimbabweans and Mosambiques in the past decade
Gee so there are other dearly beloved systems out there. Thanks for telling me. So lets just all go home and watch Eurovision and forget about it cause Ireland is now excused.
I can assure you their is no confusion on my part. THe EU laws are for the benefit of EU citizens first and non nationals second
I guess that's why you don't seem to understand what I am saying, so I'll spell it out. That benefits neither.

sovtek

Post by sovtek » Fri May 28, 2010 4:17 pm

IrishTom wrote:
sovtek wrote:
IrishTom wrote:
The most likely scenario being you completely ignore all the evidence that's posted in here and have a loose grasp of reality.

walrusgumble
BANNED

Post by walrusgumble » Fri May 28, 2010 5:03 pm

Darkhorse wrote:
IrishTom wrote:

Unable to change employment has left the worker open for wide range of possible abuse. Restriction on work permit holder to change employer is unfair and unreasonable. More it is an abuse of human right for freedom of employment.

The government should either grant work permit and allow change of employer OR do not grant work permit all.

If immigration does not come of Ireland that is other issue. However once they have entered the state, they have to be treated fairly.

If the immigrant lose their job and have to leave the country so be it.
As long as they are able to find other employer while still legally in this country, they should be allowed to move to other employer.
When one was given a work permit, they were given the work permit to work for a particular person for a particular role. They were told this. Thats why they were allowed into Ireland and the EU in the First place. That person had a free will not to take up the permit, someone else would have being more than happy to take it.

THe reason for the restrictive requirements since 2002 was to ensure that the person actually stook to that employer and not move away to someone else on a simple whim. THe idea was, a particular employer needed an employee. He was forced to employ an non eu national because he was unable to employ an irish or eu person. The permit holders sole purpose in Ireland was to work for that employee and that particular role. If they wanted to leave they could, but were expected to make a new application for a new work. Without such requirements, the country would have be showered with serious potential abuse and non nationals taking jobs in areas were there was plenty of supply amongst the Irish and EU. No point having too many cleaners and chiefs if the country has little in numbers of eg builders etc.

You can not invite jobs if they are not available. True, some workers became akin to slaves, but the law WAS on their side if they bothered to use it and sue their employers. There were many NGOs willing to help - please, I am sorry if I am flippant there. On the same note, England have being pretty rough on permit holders in the past

The person KNEW what he could and could not do. He knew he could not freely walk into another job, so he knew what was ahead of him. Look at how working immigrants are treated in the US. Human Rights my arse how can you say that there is a restriction, the applicant WAS FULLY AWARE or SHOULD have been fully aware of these restrictions before coming in. DO you actually know what a work permit is for and the reasons for them?

I keep asking thou, and no one answers, how would yer countries, in particular non eu countries, treat non nationals

walrusgumble
BANNED

Post by walrusgumble » Fri May 28, 2010 5:10 pm

sovtek wrote:
IrishTom wrote:
sovtek wrote:
IrishTom wrote:
The most likely scenario being you completely ignore all the evidence that's posted in here and have a loose grasp of reality.

either you have a very low thresshold as to what you preceive to be "oppression" or you are a complete drama queen. Have you being arrested, beaten up, removed from the country.Are you being stopped from given your opinion?

Evidence? what evidence?. I challenged you on your earlier comments. You failed or refused to reply, and instead ranted and raved about a different context, a separate matter. You were moving the goal posts to suit you. I would not mind but I would have agreed with you on your latter points

People have made you look like an raving idiot on other web sites, its a nice day to day, I don't want to have any hand (again) in making you look like an incomprehensive tool.

Here is the cold reality, migrants protest, great, best of luck, really. But they will be ignored, sadly. To think otherwise is to really have lost all sense of reality in whats going on in Ireland

One thing is for sure, migrants are here to stay, and thats great. But i believe that it would not be a clever idea for now to go solo by seeking your own interests. Ye should unite with other trade and rights movements first, after all ye all have something in common, with yer assistance they may repay the support given by helping ye in yer battle. dont do it alone

walrusgumble
BANNED

Post by walrusgumble » Sat May 29, 2010 2:56 am

sovtek wrote:
walrusgumble wrote:
If you are not capable of directly referring to questions that have being put to you please do not respond.
I'll respond to anything I please within the forum rules (which seem to be pretty sparse).
On the other hand I could say unless you are able to comprehend the point I'm making not to respond, but again I leave that to the moderators to police.

You give the same guff (or at least you did) in other sites like politics.ie and boards.ie. It did not last long.
:rolleyes:
By your analogy, Austrialia and US are also a dearly beloved system. Geee SOuth Africa have being great pals to the immigrants like Zimbabweans and Mosambiques in the past decade
Gee so there are other dearly beloved systems out there. Thanks for telling me. So lets just all go home and watch Eurovision and forget about it cause Ireland is now excused.
I can assure you their is no confusion on my part. THe EU laws are for the benefit of EU citizens first and non nationals second
I guess that's why you don't seem to understand what I am saying, so I'll spell it out. That benefits neither.
1. eu benefits neither? really? so the eu treaty and directive prevents an eu citizen from living in another eu country, provided that they are economicially viable or self sufficient? Or that the EU prevents family members and dependants from joining that eu citizen in another country provided the eu citizen complies with the laws?

so you are also sayng that where a country breaches the rights of the eu citizen and his or her family, they have no remedies in the national courts or even in the ECJ?

Last time I checked an Italian can't be discriminated against on basis of nationality in Ireland under EU law (and domestic equality laws)
and if he is, he has recourse to the courts with the prepetrator getting heavily fined (something tells me you are going to come out with some bs about not being allowed to vote in the dail - don't embarrass yourself, please) Metock case has clearly helped the eu and non eu family.

Eu citizens are entilted to the same services etc as a domestic, many would be aware of our generious child benefit to children who are not even living in ireland with the eu worker.

they will also enjoy the same work conditions and rights, the right not to be charged international fees in university of another country, enjoy recognition of their education qualification and work skills (in most areas) whilst in another country - thats not bad going for a continent of over 30 different countries (i am including the countries not in the EU but are in the EEA) with over 500 million. And you are saying the union does that benefit the eu citizen and their family?

What use is the union to eu citizens if they can't secure jobs and opportunites to their own people? Wasn't Obama keen on getting the giant US multi corporations back in US soild and provide work for Americans ? fair enough, it must drive Americans bananas seeing huge amercian companies profit and cream off other countries whilst doing nought for americans - I must say, the host country was very very very happy for these companies to come to their shores

the dearly beloved or extreme right on the other hand, as you know would complain that the EU are too liberal in allowing in non eu citizens (with no personal or family connections to the union. You can't win can you.

Have you being prevented from living here by the way? (I assume your family member is an EU citizen

2. Why should a non eu citizen, who has no rights under EU law be allowed, over and above basic human rights of respect and dignity, be able to rely on EU law? After all, this particular thread deals with work permit holders, who clearly do not have residency under EU law, if they did, they would not need to rely upon a permit.

If on the other hand, what you are really saying is, the EU or any country/contintent in the world should be free and open to all comers, then say it and not hide behind false rhethoric of "Oppression", "beloved" and the other heavy handed dishonest guff you come out with. And when you are at it, take a look at what other countries are doing or have done. Its not away of making excuses for Ireland's methods by the way, it's simply saying, no other country stands up to the unrealistic view that you have.

3. Where work permit holders told that they would always be needed? Where they not informed of the consequences of losing their permits for whatever lawful reason? Were they promised that they would be given permanent residency in the country they reside in? Didn't they know the risks? How can you give a person a new or renewed permit when the economic situation does not require a demand for such people? Wouldn't they be better off going elsewhere to work if they had not, by then obtained citizenship?

Sorry if that sounds extremely harsh. Its not meant to be. I am aware that many permit holders, unfortunately got treated like dirt. But now, for the others, the country does not owe them anything. Sure they paid their taxes, like any other lawful employee is expected to do, the world over, but it must have been a better option for them in the first place to come here make some money than back in their home countries? THey did not come for the weather you know.

4. Regarding the other sites, ye, roll your eyes, at least i am honest and accurate about my comment, shame the same can't be said for you.

5. Returning to the Ireland and excuse part, I am simply responding to false preceptions that you have given as if Ireland is one of few countries that are bold and dislike immigrants. My example is, over the past 15 years, Irish Immigration policy has been far far far more relaxed than many other countries like Britian, US and Australia (i refer to domestic laws in dealing with non eu citizens who are not related to eu citizens) It was relaxed about the requirements of financial self sufficency and it opened a very very wide avenue of jobs available for employment with very very little restrictions as to getting the permit, compared to other countries. (The problem was of course, it was not supervised or regulated to prevent abuse by employers. Hopefully when the next bach of immigrants return to ireland in the next couple of decades, the system will have learned from past mistakes)

anyway, the best of luck on what you are doing. I hope you succeed. But seriously, lay off the rhethoric, particularly the ill founded and misplaced stuff. You would only lend up talking to yourself and the wall. Please don't take this as criticism but a helpful hand. You raise valid points in a long and long winded way, you are right that someone should stand up for the immigrant, but playing the race card, which is not relevant aint the way to go. this is serious bred and butter issues, so get rid of the nonsecial people power, civil rights lark. this is not a game. carrying on the way you have done now, you would be a diservice to the people that you are trying to help.

Darkhorse

Post by Darkhorse » Sun May 30, 2010 6:07 am

THe reason for the restrictive requirements since 2002 was to ensure that the person actually stook to that employer and not move away to someone else on a simple whim. THe idea was, a particular employer needed an employee. He was forced to employ an non eu national because he was unable to employ an irish or eu person. The permit holders sole purpose in Ireland was to work for that employee and that particular role. If they wanted to leave they could, but were expected to make a new application for a new work. Without such requirements, the country would have be showered with serious potential abuse and non nationals taking jobs in areas were there was plenty of supply amongst the Irish and EU. No point having too many cleaners and chiefs if the country has little in numbers of eg builders etc.
People should consider the effect of this restriction that employee is open to wide range of abuse from employer. This policy certainly not human.

walrusgumble
BANNED

Post by walrusgumble » Sun May 30, 2010 2:50 pm

Darkhorse wrote:
People should consider the effect of this restriction that employee is open to wide range of abuse from employer. This policy certainly not human.
sadly, that is true. there have been far too many horror stories out there.

Despite a work permit holder, by law, ben entitled to the SAME protection as an Irish and other EU people under employment law (in areas such as working hours and conditions, equality, wages etc, unfair dissmal, redundancy) there have been far too many bad stories of people being forced to work 60 hours or not getting their basic entitlement of at least getting minium wage. Moreover, I am aware of stories of employers making the employee work in areas other than what their permit allows them too - ie servant in family home. Ye are all aware of the Turkish building company GAMA and how they treated their workers. Not all work permit holders have been subjected to bad treatment ( ie treatment over and above woorse than say a national worker)

Despite this, its not the laws that are the problem but the employers who seem to have no problem infringing ones's employment rights under Irish law, not to mention human rights. For most part, it is a "reported" minority who give the employers a bad name. There is an avenue iin place for the aggrieved, via Employment tribunals etc and guility emploers are heavily fined and publicially embarrassment. Trade Unions work very hard to stamp this out and are there for the immigrant. Again, an applicant knew or shouldhave known this before coming and taking the permit. your point is moot on that regard

Possible solution would have being, when times were good, maybe give them an opportunity to have more freedom in a certain sector after say 3 years. I fully support a more fairer programme for those who have worked with a certain employer after at least 2-3 years. anyway, for now, itsno use. unless its for a highly skilled job, feck all work permits/green cards will be used on a first time basis due to the economy

Some form of proudural restriction needs to be put in. I note in the UK during the election debates Nick Cleggg argued maybe restricting the permit to a particular region as oppose to one employer. can't see that working in ireland due to its size and easyiness of getting about (any major city and town being no more than 3-4 hours to get to) and it still does not solve ensuring that one sector is not too overcrowded or a sector is low on workers