ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Supporting evidence for English Language requirement

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

guddu84
Newly Registered

Post by guddu84 » Thu May 27, 2010 10:18 am

Hi,

I have personal appointment in next week at home office UKBA for PBS T1 visa. I arranged all the documents for evidence. I have confusion about supporting evidence of English language requirement.

I checked in self assessment PBS checker online. I selected below qualification from database

(1) Final Examination of CA passes from The Institute of Chartered accountants of India, Delhi awarded 2007, Course length 3-4 years.

(2) B.Com (Hons), 2006, from Lalit Narayan Mithila University, Darbhanga, Bihar, course length 3-4 years.

In qualification, I did not get any point for 1st master degree - CA, Then I took UK NARIC assessment done which is stating is comparable to British Master Degree. Hence Qualification matter for Master degree is resolve.

But when I am going to English Language section. I am again not getting any point for that Master- CA. However I am getting point 10 in english for Bachelor degree stated in 2nd point of qualification.

Hence to support this English language evidence, I can submit the Bachelor Degree certificate and Marksheet which all are in English.

Do I need to give additional letter from University also. Because its to close for me (next week appointment), and somebody has created this confusion that you have to present the letter by in any case if you done the degree from India (because in India the course of medium is both Hindi and English).

Please clarify this, I need of urs input on this.

Regards,
Rajiv

dima
Member of Standing

Re: Supporting evidence for English Language requirement

Post by dima » Thu May 27, 2010 10:31 am

guddu84 wrote:Hi,

I have personal appointment in next week at home office UKBA for PBS T1 visa. I arranged all the documents for evidence. I have confusion about supporting evidence of English language requirement.

I checked in self assessment PBS checker online. I selected below qualification from database

(1) Final Examination of CA passes from The Institute of Chartered accountants of India, Delhi awarded 2007, Course length 3-4 years.

(2) B.Com (Hons), 2006, from Lalit Narayan Mithila University, Darbhanga, Bihar, course length 3-4 years.

In qualification, I did not get any point for 1st master degree - CA, Then I took UK NARIC assessment done which is stating is comparable to British Master Degree. Hence Qualification matter for Master degree is resolve.

But when I am going to English Language section. I am again not getting any point for that Master- CA. However I am getting point 10 in english for Bachelor degree stated in 2nd point of qualification.

Hence to support this English language evidence, I can submit the Bachelor Degree certificate and Marksheet which all are in English.

Do I need to give additional letter from University also. Because its to close for me (next week appointment), and somebody has created this confusion that you have to present the letter by in any case if you done the degree from India (because in India the course of medium is both Hindi and English).

Please clarify this, I need of urs input on this.

Regards,
Rajiv
IMO,select CA in professional degree/course in the PBS... I guess CA comes under professional courses.If not, then you can give a letter from the uni.
Njoin with my new iPAD ....it's really magical....

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Thu May 27, 2010 1:27 pm

Applicants must take note that medium of instruction certificate (and the likes) are useless as these certificates cannot prove that the degree was taught in English to a standard comparable to that of level C1 on the Council of Europe’s Common European Framework of Reference for Languages: Learning, Teaching, Assessment (CEFR).

Refer to para 192 of the Tier 1 policy guidance. Such certificates neither satisfy point 1 nor point 2, so IMHO .... worthless!

regards

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Thu May 27, 2010 1:41 pm

guddu84 wrote: However I am getting point 10 in english for Bachelor degree stated in 2nd point of qualification.

CA degree - points for qualification (do not forget to carry the NARIC letter).
Bachelors degree - points for English.

regards

dima
Member of Standing

Post by dima » Thu May 27, 2010 1:59 pm

As a matter of fact, some of the uni qualifications list in the PBS tool provide points for qualification, However, the same uni may NOT earn 10 points for English Language. So, in this particular scenario, the applicants need to either produce a letter from their Uni that the degree is taught in English or sit for IELTS.
In few cases, the uni is NOT found in the PBS tool at all. In this scenario applicant has to 1. Get NARIC recognition for his/her uni- A letter from NARIC( for qualification points) 2. A letter from the uni OR IELTS are the options( to earn English points).
:)
Njoin with my new iPAD ....it's really magical....

bagula_bhagat
BANNED

Post by bagula_bhagat » Thu May 27, 2010 2:39 pm

dima wrote:As a matter of fact, some of the uni qualifications list in the PBS tool provide points for qualification, However, the same uni may NOT earn 10 points for English Language. So, in this particular scenario, the applicants need to either produce a letter from their Uni that the degree is taught in English or sit for IELTS.
In few cases, the uni is NOT found in the PBS tool at all. In this scenario applicant has to 1. Get NARIC recognition for his/her uni- A letter from NARIC( for qualification points) 2. A letter from the uni OR IELTS are the options( to earn English points).
Why are you misguiding people about 'letter from university'?

It is clearly mentioned in PBS Tier-1 (G) guidelines that if PBS Calculator does not award you points for 'English Language Requirement' then you need to produce a certificate of english test like IELTS/TOEFL etc.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Thu May 27, 2010 2:40 pm

dima wrote:As a matter of fact, some of the uni qualifications list in the PBS tool provide points for qualification, However, the same uni may NOT earn 10 points for English Language. So, in this particular scenario, the applicants need to either produce a letter from their Uni that the degree is taught in English or sit for IELTS.
Letters from universities were acceptable as proof of English language proficiency in HSMP days, but no so for Tier 1.

Tier 1 (General) policy guidance wrote:Degree taught in English
191. An applicant may provide evidence that he/she holds a degree which is equivalent to United Kingdom Bachelors level and which was taught or researched in English to a particular level as evidence of his/her English language ability.
192. The degree must:
• be recognised by National Academic Recognition Information Centre for the United Kingdom (UK NARIC) as equivalent to a United Kingdom Bachelor’s degree; and
• have been taught in English to a standard comparable to that of level C1 on the Council of Europe’s Common European Framework of Reference for Languages: Learning, Teaching, Assessment (CEFR). Details can be found on the Council of Europe website at http://www.coe.int/t/dg4/linguistic/CADRE_EN.asp.
A letter from college / university neither proves point 1 nor point 2.

And, I don't see it written anywhere in the guidance that such letters from the university / college are acceptable to claim English language points.

regards
Last edited by geriatrix on Thu May 27, 2010 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bagula_bhagat
BANNED

Post by bagula_bhagat » Thu May 27, 2010 2:45 pm

Mehta Ji,

Why don't you ban such member from the board who rather misguide other members on the board?

guddu84
Newly Registered

Post by guddu84 » Thu May 27, 2010 4:54 pm

Hi,

Please suggest me finally , what should I go for.

Can I carry the followings

(1) For qualification:
Supporting evidence: CA degree and UK NARIC assessment comparable to Master Degree - it will carry 35 points

(2) For English Language proficiency:

Supporting evidence: Bachelor degree certificate , Mark-sheet - My university is coming in database of Bachelor degree and I am getting 10 points also in PBS checker online.**

**- Do I still need letter from University or UK NARIC assessment for Bachelor degree was taught in English?

Regards,
Rajiv

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Thu May 27, 2010 5:13 pm

guddu84 wrote:Hi,

Please suggest me finally , what should I go for.

Can I carry the followings

(1) For qualification:
Supporting evidence: CA degree and UK NARIC assessment comparable to Master Degree - it will carry 35 points

(2) For English Language proficiency:

Supporting evidence: Bachelor degree certificate , Mark-sheet - My university is coming in database of Bachelor degree and I am getting 10 points also in PBS checker online.**

**- Do I still need letter from University or UK NARIC assessment for Bachelor degree was taught in English?

Regards,
Rajiv
Reading this will help.

regards