ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

bulgarian citizen and status of spouse

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

orrhahh
Newly Registered

bulgarian citizen and status of spouse

Post by orrhahh » Thu May 27, 2010 4:18 pm

Hello everyone

I am interested to know whether the free movement that I am entitled to benefit from as a Bulgarian citizen is also available for my wife who is a Turkish, thus non-Eu, citizen. I mean is she gonna have to get a visa if we travel around Europe?

i d appreaciate your help since i ve tried to look for this info all around the net but havent found a satisfactory answer: )))

NiyaVatkova
Newly Registered

Post by NiyaVatkova » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:06 pm

If your wife does not have a Bulgarian passport as your spouse, she cannot benefit fro free movement within the EU as she in fact is not a EU citizen. However, it is fairly easy to get the visas required to travel in Europe as she is the spouse of a EU citizen.

orrhahh
Newly Registered

Post by orrhahh » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:31 am

Thank you for your answer,

It was of great help in fact. I have another question though, hoping that I am not taking much time of yours.

Is the reason she can't benefit from the free movement because I am not as bulgarian citizen a full Eu member at the moment.

And is this situation going to change after Bulgaria, as it is expected, gains full membership of EU??

thanks in advance =)

86ti
Diamond Member

Post by 86ti » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:23 pm

Your question would be better suited in the Europe immigration forum.

I would argue that your wife can very well profit from free movement irrespective of her nationality because she can derive rights based on her marriage to you. Since she is a visa national and under your circumstances she will still need a visa to travel to the other member states but she can get one free of charge, in an accelareted process and with a minimum of documents. This is essentially all regulated by Directive 2004/38/EC and its national implementations. Your Bulgarian citizenship doesn't matter at this stage only if you wanted to become resident in another member state (restrictions for workers).

EDIT: And importantly, your wife has a right to get a visa if she either travels with you or joins you at a later date.

NiyaVatkova
Newly Registered

Post by NiyaVatkova » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:36 am

Hi,

the reason she cannot benefit from free movement is not because you are Bulgarian. Citizens of Bulgaria can benefit from free movement within the EU, however if she holds a Turkish passport even though she is your spouse she is a citizen of Turkey, i.e. a non EU state.