ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Council Tax 50% discount for second home

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Dasavathar

Council Tax 50% discount for second home

Post by Dasavathar » Fri May 28, 2010 2:11 pm

Hi All,

I am now in my Tier 1 General Visa. The council is giving 50% tax exemption for the second home (after seeing my indian passport).

I just want to know, availing this discount will affect my ILR/citizenship?

Please help me in this regard.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: Council Tax 50% discount for second home

Post by Wanderer » Fri May 28, 2010 2:15 pm

Dasavathar wrote:Hi All,

I am now in my Tier 1 General Visa. The council is giving 50% tax exemption for the second home (after seeing my indian passport).

I just want to know, availing this discount will affect my ILR/citizenship?

Please help me in this regard.
Both homes in UK?
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

Dasavathar

Post by Dasavathar » Fri May 28, 2010 2:20 pm

Hi Wanderer,

I am showing my Indian address in the passport as the primary home (Indian Passport holder) and the second home as the house where i am staying now in UK.

Council is giving 50% since my first home is in India.
Is it ok to claim this discount?

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Fri May 28, 2010 2:50 pm

Dasavathar wrote:Hi Wanderer,

I am showing my Indian address in the passport as the primary home (Indian Passport holder) and the second home as the house where i am staying now in UK.

Council is giving 50% since my first home is in India.
Is it ok to claim this discount?
No, sorry.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

Dasavathar

Post by Dasavathar » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:24 am

Can anyone comment on this please...

dilip2407
Newly Registered

Post by dilip2407 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:39 pm

Isn't this misuse of the system. Benefits are to help people when they need it, rather than just finding a way out to claim something. It sounds like you find a way out, not to pay your council tax.

Sorry friend, you should not get any help from this forum. Also why do you want to apply for ILR, when your first home is in India.

I love this site, been benefiting from a long time. Its meant for people who genuinely need help.

86ti
Diamond Member

Post by 86ti » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:14 pm

I would think that for the purpose of council tax the first home is where you spend a 'signficant' time of the year. Why would you think that India is your first home esp. since your aim is obviously ILR and citizenship? Both require a certain amount of time spent in the UK which I would guess is incompatible with the idea of a second home. Apart from that I do not quite see why this would be claiming benefits. IMHO, that's a fair discount provided that it is truly a second home and this means that the home is used only for brief periods of time.