ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Help - Tier 1 PSW or Tier 2?

Archived UK Tier 1 (Post-Study Work) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

denver232
Newly Registered

Help - Tier 1 PSW or Tier 2?

Post by denver232 » Sat May 29, 2010 9:52 am

Hello,

I have a job offer here in the UK and am currently in the process of applying for a work permit. My company has assigned an immigration consultant to help me, but I am confused by some of the advice she has given me. She asked me to apply for a Tier 1 Post-study work visa even though I hold a job offer here (I'm currently a student). The odd thing is that I spoke to some other colleagues in the same company who are also applying for work permits and they told me that this same consultant told them to apply for Tier 2 visas!

According to the Home office site, the Tier 1 PSW visa is only for students who don't have a job offer and they are expected to transition to another type of visa as soon as they find a job. Surely this doesn't apply to me. Furthermore if the company can sponsor other colleagues (who are also currently students) on the same programme, they can do the same for me.

Has the consultant made a mistake here? Should I ask for a Tier 2 visa instead? Please help! Thanks

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Sat May 29, 2010 1:35 pm

IMHO, Tier 2 anyday (over Tier 1 PSW).

Tier 1 (PSW) is a fixed term (2 yr.) leave to enter / remain (visa) and cannot be extended any further or be applied for a second time. As per current rules, time spent in UK on Tier 1 (PSW) doesn't count towards settlement.

regards

arsenal49
Diamond Member

Post by arsenal49 » Sat May 29, 2010 8:57 pm

tier 2 depends on various factors!!!

what is your job title and salary level. and does your job fall into shortage list? does your employer need to conduct resident labour market test?

If you compare these things with your colleague than you will find out why shes recommending you to apply for psw.

regards.

denver232
Newly Registered

Post by denver232 » Sat May 29, 2010 9:14 pm

Thanks for your replies sushdmehta and arsenal49. No my job doesn't fall in the shortage list. My salary is >32000. Yes my employer needs to conduct a labour market test, but it would have to conduct tests for the other new hires who are getting Tier 2 visas. Basically my situation is almost identical to that of my colleague - same university and same department. Is there a quota for Tier 2 visas per company? Perhaps each company is only allowed a certain number of Tier 2 visas?

rahul12345

Post by rahul12345 » Sun May 30, 2010 2:31 am

Hi sushdmehta,

>Tier 2 anyday (over Tier 1 PSW).
>Tier 1 (PSW) is a fixed term (2 yr.) leave to enter / remain (visa) and cannot be extended any further or be applied for a second time. As per current rules, time spent in UK on Tier 1 (PSW) doesn't count towards settlement.

Thanks for your logic on choosing Tire 2 over PSW. My friend need to make a similar decision soon. What do you think of following logic of choosing PSW over Tire 2? Tire 2 is on the mercy of employer. I mean if employer makes you rendundant in 6 months then you need to go back. But with PSW you can be sure for 2 years. Work for 1 year on PSW then switch to HSMP.

Thanks.