ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Switch from Tier4General -> Tier1General

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

vader666

Switch from Tier4General -> Tier1General

Post by vader666 » Sat May 29, 2010 1:59 pm

Hi ,

As far as I looked at visa guides , that switch can be done.

But it will require working when you are a student ( as an overseas student 20hours per week is allowed )

My question is , when you are student in UK with Tier4 General visa,
and in that period if you work remotely by a salaried employer which is outside UK or as a contractor freelancer , can that be claimed as an earning when applying to Tier1 at the end of studentship ? In that case how can it be proven that I didn't exceed 20 hours per week ?

Thanks in advance for answers...

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Sat May 29, 2010 6:10 pm

Simple answer - cannot be done, unless you qualify without the earning points!

regards

vader666

Post by vader666 » Sat May 29, 2010 6:16 pm

I looked at almost all documents, but the main one was this -> t1-general-guidance.pdf for current policy ,

There are nothing mentioned about remote working ,
even self-employment is mentioned , by employing a small company without an office outside UK , and by selling some website other project and with all proper invoice, tax... documents , what is the object against it ?

( Still max 20 hours confused my mind ofcourse )

arsenal49
Diamond Member

Post by arsenal49 » Sat May 29, 2010 8:52 pm

you are a student so STUDY <-- that is what HO would say.

but you want to earn money on your student visa! OK so, earn money (max 20 hours)... so far so good

But now, you want to CLAIM points for the work you carried out on your student visa!!! That is just not acceptable!

Student visa is there to study, psw visa, tier 2 visa, tier 1 visa is there to work in uk.

Your reasoning is flawed and you will not be successfull because you are ON A STUDENT VISA!!!!!!

send an email to HO and UKCISA. see what they advise you.

regards

rizwan567
Diamond Member

Post by rizwan567 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:59 am

You can not be self employed on student visa. You can only claim for 20 hours per week and i.e in salaried employment only.

If you are doing self employed contracting while residing in UK for your customres outside Uk then its simply not allowed.

Hope this also clarifies your 20 hours confusion as it is only for salaried employment. You can not be self employed anyway.

vader666

Post by vader666 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:44 am

What about working as a "salaried employee" for a company "outside UK" ( web development , server maintaneance) , in which I will not exceed 20 hours per week -> and if I have enough earning points ,
would I be granted at least in theory ?

BTW, could you give me email addresses of HO & UKCISA for enquiry ?

Also I will contact my university's immigration advisers.

thank you

vader666

Post by vader666 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:47 pm

Any help would be appreciated

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:00 pm

Assuming you score 20 for age and 35 for masters level qualification, you will still need 25 points to qualify (under current qualifying criteria) and to score these 25 points you must have earned 40K-50K in the 12 months. Ask yourself if it is possible to do so working only 20 hours a week? I am sure companies can find people to do (what you state above) at much lower rates.

Remember, as a student you are not allowed to be self-employed, so who's going to pay you a salary of 40K-50K as an employee for only 20 hours of work every week? Assuming you do manage to earn the required amount, how do you think you'll prove to UKBA that you have not worked more than 20 hours a week to earn this decent income.

Be realistic!

regards

vader666

Post by vader666 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:27 pm

My master is in UK , so the points I need is 20. ( 5 pts from UK experience )

for scoring 20 pts ->

1) My employer will be in my home country , so it is not 40K-50K in pounds , but about 20K in my country's currency ( based on points calculator on UKHO BA site)

2) Even though , I am under 28 , I am very experience software engineer , one of youngest hires of one of biggest software companies when student , and that was remote too ( the company was in USA )
So I beieve , I can supply reference letter to prove that it is true

So my final questions are

1) Can I switch to Tier1General from Tie4General , if earning ponits are from a "SALARIED" "Remote" work and if the employer is not in UK
but in my home country , while I am studying in UK

2) Could you give me email addresses of HO & UKCISA ?

So if is feasible todo so , I will accept an offer ...

pkumar
Member of Standing

Post by pkumar » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:15 pm

vader .... people appreciate your spirit ... but convincing this forum is not going to change the fact .......

aruni4470
Diamond Member

Post by aruni4470 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:29 pm

vader666 wrote:1) My employer will be in my home country , so it is not 40K-50K in pounds , but about 20K in my country's currency ( based on points calculator on UKHO BA site)
You cannot use the uplift ratio when physically present in UK. If that is what you intend to do.

vader666 wrote:2) Could you give me email addresses of HO & UKCISA ?
A simple use of google could have given you these details. UKCISA does not answer queries by email, try their student Advice line.

http://www.ukcisa.org.uk/about/contact_us.php
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/conta ... ctcentres/

push
United Kingdom

Post by push » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:57 pm

vader666 wrote:My master is in UK , so the points I need is 20. ( 5 pts from UK experience )

for scoring 20 pts ->

1) My employer will be in my home country , so it is not 40K-50K in pounds , but about 20K in my country's currency ( based on points calculator on UKHO BA site)
I dont think that is correct. If you are working in UK but employed by an employer in another country, you cant use the uplift factor. Page 20 of the Guidance Notes:
131. Adjusting overseas earnings

To reflect differences in income levels across the world, the income level required to score points varies depending on where the applicant was working at the time he/she earned the money. We use a series of calculations (known as uplift ratios) to bring overseas salaries in line with their United Kingdom equivalents. The level of uplift we give depends on the average income in the country in which the earnings were made.
regards,
push
Important: Please read this Disclaimer

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:02 am

vader666 wrote:My master is in UK , so the points I need is 20. ( 5 pts from UK experience )

for scoring 20 pts ->

People arrive at such conclusions when they jump to PBS calculator without reading and/or understanding the Tier 1 (General) policy.

For 20 points, you need to have earned 35K-40K. As explained by others, you cannot use uplift ratio to your income (credited in accounts either in the UK or outside the UK) when you are physically living, studying and working in the UK. So the earnings have to be 35K-40K in GBP and not 35K-40K in your home country's currency (or any other), irrespective of where your employer is based on the planet!

Make sure that there is an agreement with your employer(s) beforehand that:
1. the employment contract mentions the number of hours per week you'll be working for the employer and that they issue you a letter clearly certifying that that under the terms and conditions of your employment with them you cannot work for more than 20 hours in a week, or
2. have the payslip reflect the exact number of hours worked for wages earned.
If the employer(s) do not agree to either of these conditions, then forget it .... as UKBA will not accept any other "reference" letter.

Do also take in account that that the Tier 1 (General) qualifying criteria may change (for the worse) before you complete your MSc in Q4 2011. And at that time you may be required to have earned more than the 35K-40K to score 20 points, or have a PhD to score 35 points, or be less than 28 in age to score 20 points!

regards