ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Studying while on tier 1

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

houman1979
BANNED

Studying while on tier 1

Post by houman1979 » Mon May 31, 2010 11:53 am

Hi,

I asked this question before but I want to be sure.

If Tier 1 visa holders could study in the UK? I am going to do a one year master and wondered if there is any problem.

Nothing stated in the rules and guidances about studying on Tier 1 and therefore I assume that there is no problem.

Regards

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Mon May 31, 2010 11:55 am

Please make an effort to search the forum for information already available. And, do not assume things as you could end up in trouble with UKBA.

regards

houman1979
BANNED

Post by houman1979 » Mon May 31, 2010 12:00 pm

I asked this question before and the answers were positive. But I want to be sure about it.

In addition, I am not only assume as if anything prohibited it should be stated clearly in the guidances and rules. Moreover, how could UKBA even know that I studied as there is no reference in extension application form and I should only supply information regarding my salary.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Mon May 31, 2010 12:07 pm

houman1979 wrote:I asked this question before and the answers were positive. But I want to be sure about it.
That's why I suggested that you search the forum, as more information (or feedback) may be available since your last query on the topic.
houman1979 wrote:In addition, I am not only assume as if anything prohibited it should be stated clearly in the guidances and rules. Moreover, how could UKBA even know that I studied as there is no reference in extension application form and I should only supply information regarding my salary.
So your question isn't whether you can study on Tier 1 (General) visa, but essentially whether you can get away with it without being caught and penalised?

regards

houman1979
BANNED

Post by houman1979 » Mon May 31, 2010 12:38 pm

I read the other topics and your answers to them. I am going to clarify the matter with HO as soon as possible, but your opinion that Tier 1 holders cannot study is not based on any fact and rules. I again repeat in all visas, the conditions of stay clearly state everything. And in Tier 1 there is no reference to study.

About getting caught, I meant that in application form I should only provide previous earnings.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Mon May 31, 2010 12:55 pm

houman1979 wrote: but your opinion that Tier 1 holders cannot study is not based on any fact and rules.
Reading this post will help clarify your inference of my opinion.

regards

houman1979
BANNED

Post by houman1979 » Mon May 31, 2010 1:04 pm

It is the topic which I read before.

1-In immigration rules all the restrictions CLEARLY stated.
2-In conditions of stay everything stated. How could it possible that HO states "No work as doctor in training" in the condition of stay of Tier 1 holder, but forget mentioning "No study"?
3-Universities have to report Tier 4 students to HO becuase they may use student visa for working. This reason is not applicable to Tier 1 holders at all.

By the way, I am going to clarify the matter and let everybody knows about it.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Mon May 31, 2010 1:16 pm

houman1979 wrote: I am going to clarify the matter and let everybody knows about it.
That will be helpful (and useful).

regards

houman1979
BANNED

Post by houman1979 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:15 am

Hi,

As I understood this question is very popular and the rules are not clear about it. I asked British Embassy in Tehran and Home Office.

They have not answered yet and I'll update the post as soon as possible.

Meanwhile I have two questions:

1-Is there any place in Crydon in order I can go and ask my questions? If they agree that I can study full time, is it possible to ask them written answer in order that I could refer to that in the future?

2-Is there any problem regarding part time study? As I see in the previous topics there is no problem. Currently, I am working on hourlt basis, looking for a permanent job and is going to register as a sole trader. Then, can I do a part time master?

Regards

houman1979
BANNED

Post by houman1979 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:28 pm

Hi

Finally I received email from UKBA:
-----------------------
Thank you for your enquiry.

A person in the UK with leave to enter or remain under the Highly Skilled Migrant Programme or Points Based System Tier 1 (General) can study if they choose to do so. However, this may affect any future extension or Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) applications if they do not meet the requirements, which include either taking or actively seeking employment.

Working full time and studying on a part time course may not affect any future applications. However, if a person is studying more than they are working, or not working at all, they would not be able to provide the required evidence for any extension or ILR application.

Yours sincerely,

Rez Jason

Immigration Group
----------------------------

Hope this clarifes.
UK Border Agency

aruni4470
Diamond Member

Post by aruni4470 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:14 pm

Well Done Houman. Atleast now it is clear. This link also might help.

http://intsupport.glam.ac.uk/non-tier-4/