ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Gov't to scrap ICFNs, but holders don't have ppt stamps

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

The Station Agent
United Kingdom

Gov't to scrap ICFNs, but holders don't have ppt stamps

Post by The Station Agent » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:08 am

Anyone know what the government proposes to do about the thousands of ICFN holders who don't have stamps in their passports and so will not be able to prove their right to be here if the ICFN is scrapped?

And what kind of f***wit at UKBA decided it would be a good idea not to bother stamping passports for ICFN holders?
Last edited by The Station Agent on Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

MPH80
Respected Guru

Post by MPH80 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:37 am

Where have you picked up that ICFNs are going to be scrapped?

Last report I heard - British National Identity cards were going - but not ICFN.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:48 am

Is the identity card for foreign nationals also being scrapped? wrote:No. The UK Border Agency (UKBA) will continue to issue biometric residence permits to non-EU foreign nationals.

European law requires non-EU foreign nationals to be provided with biometric residence permits.

They are separate from the programme to introduce the UK National Identity Card and the Identification Card for EEA nationals, and are issued under entirely different legislation.

The biometric data is not kept on the National Identity Register.
regards

The Station Agent
United Kingdom

Post by The Station Agent » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:49 am

http://www.workpermit.com/news/2010-05- ... grants.htm

However, today the Guardian are saying the ICFN scheme will remain. But last week they were all saying the whole thing was being scrapped, including ICFN. Some clarity is required, I think.

Markie

Post by Markie » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:26 pm

it's only the ID cards for british citizens that will be scrapped. check the UKBA website announcement last 27May.
MPH80 wrote:Where have you picked up that ICFNs are going to be scrapped?

Last report I heard - British National Identity cards were going - but not ICFN.

tt

Post by tt » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:26 pm

The original intent, I believe, was that the Identity Cards for Foreign Nationals (ICFNs) would be implemented for ALL limited leave to remain categories by April 2011, and 90% of all immigrant categories by 2015.

I assume the remaining 10% would be those on ILR prior to a certain date, who have not gone for/don't want citizenship.

Now... the options are to discontinue the ICFN implementation, leaving those with ICFNs with valid cards, but continuing to issue vignettes in passports for all other categories... or, to change the timetable of implementation, thereby extending the period of time of implementation to beyond 2011/2015... or, to drop the requirement for ILR/Permanent Resident holders altogether... or, go ahead as before...
or, indeed, infact go for unexpected and really do totally scrap the Identity Card for Foreign Nationals. ("Named OISC advisors" have an article about it today)

Was the ID Card for EU Nationals (living in the UK) bound up in the British Citizen ID Card legislation? Or is that something the government can still go ahead with if it really wanted to, I wonder?
Have EU Nationals living in the UK found out one way or the other yet?

INSIDER

Re: Gov't to scrap ICFNs, but holders don't have ppt stamps

Post by INSIDER » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:40 pm

The Station Agent wrote: And what kind of f***wit at UKBA decided it would be a good idea not to bother stamping passports for ICFN holders?
Who said this is the case.? As far as I know such passports are still stamped, the ICFN number is normally hand-written at the top of the stamp.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Re: Gov't to scrap ICFNs, but holders don't have ppt stamps

Post by geriatrix » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:47 pm

INSIDER wrote:
The Station Agent wrote: And what kind of f***wit at UKBA decided it would be a good idea not to bother stamping passports for ICFN holders?
Who said this is the case.? As far as I know such passports are still stamped, the ICFN number is normally hand-written at the top of the stamp.
You need a refresher on ICFN. :wink:

regards

PaperPusher
Respected Guru

Post by PaperPusher » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:47 pm

Insider is talking about stamping, you know, with an ink stamp. ICFNs have replaced vignettes, not stamps. :wink:

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:52 pm

In that case, it is me who needs a refresher! :cry:
I assumed Insider meant vignette when he said stamp. Wrong! My mistake!

:lol:
regards

PaperPusher
Respected Guru

Post by PaperPusher » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:59 pm

Station Agent meant vignette but said stamp it appears.

The Station Agent
United Kingdom

Post by The Station Agent » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:28 am

I have done 3 Tier 2 cases recently where the holder was given an ICFN but no stamp or vignette was placed in the passport. I think that's mental because people will now have to put their ICFN with every visa application they make for other countries (because to apply for a US visa for instance, in London, the US Embassy want proof you are living here legally). It just seems completely daft - why would they not stamp the passport too?

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:01 pm

Let's be clear on one thing - are you referring to a vignette (visa) or an ink stamp, when you say "stamping the passport" or "stamp in the passport"?

ICFN replaces the leave to enter / remain (visa) vignette in the passport. People issued with ICFN do not have a vignette in their passport as details of the leave to remain (visa) are embedded in to the ICFN.

regards
Last edited by geriatrix on Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr Rusty
Diamond Member

Post by Mr Rusty » Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:42 pm

Seems like a dialogue of the deaf has developed here.

The OP raised two original questions, both of which may be based on false premises:
1) How will foreign nationals who have been issued with i/dcards be able to prove their status if said cards are withdrawn?
The i/d card scheme for UK nationals is to be scrapped, but there's been no suggestion that this will happen to ICFNs. Even if it did, they'd have to be replaced with stick-in vignettes, wouldn't they?
2) Why don't i/d card-holders get entry stamps in their passports any time they arrive in the UK?
Insider says they do, with the card number written on the stamp - pretty much the same as US green=card system, surely?

I accept that the logic of requiring some foreign nationals to have i/d cards has pretty much been blown away by the collapse of the scheme to force them onto an unwilling UK population, but it's not much of an issue really.

The Station Agent
United Kingdom

Post by The Station Agent » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:14 pm

But why not put the vignette in the passport? Fair enough to have the ICFN scheme but why don't they vignette the passport? The fact they don't means that people HAVE to show the ICFN whenever they travel or apply for a visa for another country. I personally know of someone who is here on a Tier 2 ICFN and applied for a Spanish visa but was turned down because the Spanish consulate didn't recognise his ICFN and said because his passport was not endorsed with his leave conditions they could not grant him a visa.

If the government is not scrapping the ICFN scheme then my original point of this thread is pretty much null and void, but workpermit.com (the sponsors of this forum) said the ICFN was being scrapped which is what has led to that misunderstanding.

But the UKBA should vignette the passport as they used to, not force the people to travel with their passport and ID card. An ID card is much easier to mislay.