ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Post-Study Work Permit, what's next?! Please advise...

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ella87
Newly Registered

Post-Study Work Permit, what's next?! Please advise...

Post by ella87 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:50 pm

Dear all,

After graduating from University here in the UK, I successfully applied for a PSWP which is due to expire in September 2011.

I have currently got a job in my field of study that pays approx 24k pa with contract lasting up to the expiration of my visa (even though the contract was originally for a much longer period of time, they had to amend that due to my visa restriction until my circumstances change...such as it being renewed..).

I wanted from you experienced members to advise me so I can prepare in the meantime all the necessary documents/evidence to allow me to renew my visa when time comes.

- What kind of category would I need to apply under when switching from PSWP?

- Is this a points system application and if so, considering my salary, my maintenance funds will be at least 2k savings in the bank at ALL times which I am not going to touch, my UK degree (BSc), obviously English requirement and all that...not sure what else applies here ...ah my age 23 years old, etc, how likely am I to be successful this time?

- Except for funds in the bank, payslips from work and such what other documents do I need to prepare in advance to be allowed to live and work in the UK further on?

Thank you for taking the time to read my post.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

aliq09
Member of Standing
Mood:
United States of America

Re: Post-Study Work Permit, what's next?! Please advise...

Post by aliq09 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:06 am

ella87 wrote:Dear all,

After graduating from University here in the UK, I successfully applied for a PSWP which is due to expire in September 2011.

I have currently got a job in my field of study that pays approx 24k pa with contract lasting up to the expiration of my visa (even though the contract was originally for a much longer period of time, they had to amend that due to my visa restriction until my circumstances change...such as it being renewed..).

I wanted from you experienced members to advise me so I can prepare in the meantime all the necessary documents/evidence to allow me to renew my visa when time comes.

- Is this a points system application and if so, considering my salary, my maintenance funds will be at least 2k savings in the bank at ALL times which I am not going to touch, my UK degree (BSc), obviously English requirement and all that...not sure what else applies here ...ah my age 23 years old, etc, how likely am I to be successful this time?

- Except for funds in the bank, payslips from work and such what other documents do I need to prepare in advance to be allowed to live and work in the UK further on?

hi ,

It's a long time to come and the best solution right now is to improve your job and get some thing better than 25K . In future , i think we all need big money to qualify for our TIER1 .

One thing more ........... take it easy :) and enjoy your life in UK :)
Thanks

Ali

aruni4470
Diamond Member

Post by aruni4470 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:31 am

With your age and qualification, you will need to earn £35 pa to qualify for tier 1 (g), work towards that. You need 75 points, you will get 30 for your degree, 20 for your age and 5 for your UK qualification. You need 20 more points and for that you need to earn minimum of £35k PA.

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov. ... -of-policy

ukswus

Post by ukswus » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:22 am

If you want to stay in the UK after 2011, your best bet is to get Tier 2 visa... Unless you somehow manage to get a salary of 35,000, or even better, get married to a British citizen :)

ella87
Newly Registered

Post by ella87 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:51 pm

Hiya,

thanks for your replies.

I did a little bit of research myself after posting this and found out I would not be able to qualify for Tier 1 General, but could give it a go for Tier 2 instead, using a Sponsor's letter.

My current job contract is up in September 2011 and my agreed salary is approx 24k and that is not going to change, nor am I going to be looking for a different job during this time as I am settled in and only a recent graduate so it would really mess me up.

My question is, close to the expiration of my visa, I will need to switch from Post-Study work permit to Tier 2. Do I need to ask for Sponsorship from the same employer ( they did originally offer a much longer contract but had to amend that due to my visa restriction) or would I be better off finding a new job towards the end of the contract and getting them to Sponsor me instead (that's what I really want to do, go for something better after a year or so time, but was wondering if you're allowed to have a new Sponsor).

So would that work? Also I saw on the Home Office website that it doesn't take longer than 15 mins for a Sponsor to get approval so I am guessing should be fairly easy for the people I would be working for (they're very well acclaimed organisations) however from your experience, how willing are future employers to do such a thing for you....? Do they see it as time consuming and try to avoid employees who might need such help?

Thanks a lot!!

ella87
Newly Registered

Post by ella87 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:54 pm

aliq09 wrote:
One thing more ........... take it easy :) and enjoy your life in UK :)

Thanks for the comment, indeed I too many times wish I was more laid back....just feel a lot better when I have a plan for the future ahead....

beecharmer1800bc

Post by beecharmer1800bc » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:46 am

I did a little bit of research myself after posting this and found out I would not be able to qualify for Tier 1 General, but could give it a go for Tier 2 instead, using a Sponsor's letter.What actually stops you from looking for a better paying job and apply for the Tier 1 visa instead of looking to tie yourself to an employer on a Tier 2 visa?

My current job contract is up in September 2011 and my agreed salary is approx 24k and that is not going to change, nor am I going to be looking for a different job during this time as I am settled in and only a recent graduate so it would really mess me up.With the expected immigration cap, don't you think this might place you on a disadvantage re:Tier 2 visa, so why take the chance?

My question is, close to the expiration of my visa, I will need to switch from Post-Study work permit to Tier 2. Do I need to ask for Sponsorship from the same employer ( they did originally offer a much longer contract but had to amend that due to my visa restriction) or would I be better off finding a new job towards the end of the contract and getting them to Sponsor me instead.Look mate, start now and up-skill yourself, get some vocational qualifications in your field and hit the job market(after six months) so that you can attract better offers. DON'T WAIT TILL YOUR VISA IS DUE TO EXPIRE. START WORKING NOW!

So would that work? Also I saw on the Home Office website that it doesn't take longer than 15 mins for a Sponsor to get approval so I am guessing should be fairly easy for the people I would be working for (they're very well acclaimed organisations) however from your experience, how willing are future employers to do such a thing for you....? Do they see it as time consuming and try to avoid employees who might need such help?The proposed cap on Non-EU(I hate that word)migrants might bite you in the bum mate, so apply for a Tier 1 instead. DON'T SAY YOU WERE NOT WARNED
Don't waste your time working hard-work smart

ella87
Newly Registered

Post by ella87 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:37 am

Thanks for above post...

Not that I don't want a better paid job, just I really doubt a recent graduate with just a bachelor in science and no experience could get anything better than what I have for the moment and it wont kill me staying here for a year....

Furthermore, if I don't take up this opportunity, I will be jobless for some time, and I wont be able to apply neither for Tier 2 nor Tier 1 this time NEXT YEAR, as I need to show I have worked for a year before reapplying for a visa, show all the payslips as evidence of annual salary...so from what I understand, that would really sc*w me up rather than help me mate... sorry it just doesnt make sense to me what you're suggesting.

Anyone willing to say how easy it is for future employers to consider individuals that require sponsorship?

Thanks everybody!

arsenal49
Diamond Member

Post by arsenal49 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:34 pm

if you satisfy tier 2 requirements, then you WILL satisfy requiements when it comes to tier 2 extension. This will take you to 5 years which will alllow you to have permanent residency.

All you need to do is go to HO site, and search for "Certificate of sponsorship", and "code of practice". make sure your employers are willing to give you a contract for atleast two more years at the time of application.

in my opinion, you will be alright in getting tier 2 visa

regards

beecharmer1800bc

Post by beecharmer1800bc » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:00 pm

ella87 wrote:Thanks for above post...

Not that I don't want a better paid job, just I really doubt a recent graduate with just a bachelor in science and no experience could get anything better than what I have for the moment and it wont kill me staying here for a year....

Furthermore, if I don't take up this opportunity, I will be jobless for some time, and I wont be able to apply neither for Tier 2 nor Tier 1 this time NEXT YEAR, as I need to show I have worked for a year before reapplying for a visa, show all the payslips as evidence of annual salary...so from what I understand, that would really sc*w me up rather than help me mate... sorry it just doesnt make sense to me what you're suggesting.

Anyone willing to say how easy it is for future employers to consider individuals that require sponsorship?

Thanks everybody!
You've got your wires all crossed my friend. If you took time to read my suggestion, you will see that I advised you to up-skill yourself whilst still on your job. I moved from an 18k job to a £32k job in less than 2years. It's about taking the initiative,working smart,networking and most of all, pray about it.
With a Tier 2 visa, you are at the mercy of your employer that was why I suggested you consider the Tier 1(General) instead.

I'm worried it doesn't make sense to you cuz it's in plain simple English!

Anyways, why don't you do some hard work by researching your sector and the job prospects? Speak to recruitment agencies, work colleagues,managers about career prospects and earning potential. That way, you'd have some info to work with afterall 2 years ain't a lot of time.

I rest my case pal
Don't waste your time working hard-work smart