ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

English Language Test For Spouses

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

simon3000
Newly Registered

English Language Test For Spouses

Post by simon3000 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:50 am

Does anybody know when the english language test for spouses comes into effect and does anybody have a sample of it? Or Idea of what they will test?

DANUBE

Post by DANUBE » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:08 am

Hi Simon3000

I read on bbc news website that it will be Autumn this year.

A link relating to this subject has kindly been posted by member 'troubled' in the uk general election forum.

My partner and I are getting married in July and hope to submit a marriage/spouse visa application at the beginning of August - hopefully just in time ????? My partner can speak english, not perfect and has only just started to learn how to write it - it's just another worry.

simon3000
Newly Registered

Post by simon3000 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:20 am

Hi Danube,

So Autumn is September, my partner is in the same situation as yours so i was wondering how difficult the test would be. Congratulations on your wedding , we don't want to wed until we have her visa otherwise we will be apart for too long.I would have assumed they would realise that english is not everybody's first language? I will read the thread you recommend.I can see this new rule causing hell for millions.

DANUBE

Post by DANUBE » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:04 am

Hi Simon3000

We would like to know about the test too as we may run out of time - visa's can take up to 3 months to be processed so they may insist on my partner taking the test anyway. It's better to know sooner rather than later.
I agree with you - this test will cause trouble for many and when your try to learn a new language it's hard and can take years. Can't they see that it's easier for our partners to progress further with the english language while they are in the uk. If they start keeping fiances, husbands and wifes e.t.c outside the uk due to this rule then how are they supposed to learn more english when they'ere not even in England. I know they can take lessons in english but this takes ages - people progress quicker when they are constantly around english speaking people.

I know what you mean about being away from your partner - my husband to be has been away since mid may and it's killing me.

When are you submitting your application ?

batleykhan

Post by batleykhan » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:31 am

Here you are folks read about. Looks like its going to be heartache for a lot of people

http://ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/siteconte ... equirement

lizziet

Post by lizziet » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:22 am

Hiya
Spouses will need to pass an approved English test at level A1 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages. This is a description of level A1:

Can understand and use familiar everyday expressions and very basic phrases aimed at the satisfaction of needs of a concrete type. Can introduce him/herself and others and can ask and answer questions about personal details such as where he/she lives, people he/she knows and things he/she has. Can interact in a simple way provided the other person talks slowly and clearly and is prepared to help.

So it's quite a basic level, but I suppose that's no help if your spouse can't speak any English at all! I think it's really unfair to test people before they even get here - fine once they've been in the UK for 6 months or so...

zeddy zed

Post by zeddy zed » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:44 am

DANUBE wrote:Hi Simon3000

I read on bbc news website that it will be Autumn this year.

A link relating to this subject has kindly been posted by member 'troubled' in the uk general election forum.

My partner and I are getting married in July and hope to submit a marriage/spouse visa application at the beginning of August - hopefully just in time ????? My partner can speak english, not perfect and has only just started to learn how to write it - it's just another worry.
hi am in the same postion , will be applying in august but since the laws come into effect in september will it still effect us since we will apply before the rules comes into effect ?

any advice?

DANUBE

Post by DANUBE » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:02 pm

lizziet & bhatley khan - thanks for the info - greatly appreciated

zeddy zed, i hope we can get our applications in before this rules comes in and as you say - hope it won't affect us. Sureley the embassy cannot force this requirement on us if we have applied before the rule comes into effect

can anyone confirm this ?

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:11 pm

IMHO this is a good move - statistically the odds are stacked against the long term viabilty of international marraiges anyway, not being able to converse with each other lengthens those odds so this might weed out many unsustainable relationships.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:54 pm

Ah Wanderer, you're forgetting that many 'international' couples speak a common language (other than English) even if one is a Brit. When my hubbie and I were living together in Spain we spoke Spanish or Arabic together. He learned to speak English once we arrived in the UK and now has BC. Under the new rules he would have been excluded from applying for a spouse visa.

batleykhan

Post by batleykhan » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:20 pm

If you want to comment on this topic please go to this link where the subject is already being discussed. That way we can keep all the posts in one place.
http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=58239

This post is being locked for the time being