ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British by descent, British Passport for child?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

raican
Newly Registered

British by descent, British Passport for child?

Post by raican » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:08 am

Hi there

I am British citizen by descent ( was born outside UK before 1980 and my father was British citizen by naturalization) and living in Canada.
My husband/father of the child is Canadian Citizen.

I gave birth to my son, who is Canadian Citizen.
Is there any way I can get him the British Passport and/or get his birth registered with British authorities?
I heard there are some recent changes, something about a MN1 application etc?

Any help would be appreciated.

What ways does my child have to get the British passport even in future?

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:59 am

You have missed out some very important information! Simply ..... where was the child born? In the UK, or outside the UK?
John

raican
Newly Registered

Post by raican » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:30 am

Sorry

my child was born in Canada. Not UK. And we live in Canada. thnx

Would also like to know IF IT IS not possible at this time, what options does my child in future have to obtain the British passport? Can he go and live/study in UK and get it?

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:25 am

Had your child been born in the UK they would have been British from the moment of birth, and indeed British otherwise than by descent.

But born outside the UK, and given that you are British by descent, your child is not British at all. The only way to rectify that is to move to the UK, and after 3 years it will be possible to Register your child as British, under section 3(5).

This link gives more details .... click here.
John

jimbo_uk

Post by jimbo_uk » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:33 am

Your child cannot become British at this stage, UK citizenship to children born outside the UK is only through parents who are 'Citizens other than by Descent' (i.e. born or naturalized as British).

There are some exceptions to this, I think if the child would otherwise be stateless, or if the Parent who is a citizen by descent has lived/settled in the UK the home office may grant UK citizenship to the child.

snap...now i see Johns post has answered the question!