ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

avoiding British by descent

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

ravis
Newly Registered

avoiding British by descent

Post by ravis » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:01 pm

Hi,

I'm a British other than by descent and my wife has been granted ILR a year ago. My son was born in India in April 2010.
I wanted my son to be a british other than by descent. Can I? If so what would be the best way of doing it? Please advice.

Rgrds,
RaviS

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:52 pm

I wanted my son to be a british other than by descent. Can I?
No. Had you wanted that your wife and you would have decided to make sure the baby was born in the UK.
John

IMBerocca
Newly Registered

Post by IMBerocca » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:55 am

John,

Wouldn't it be possible, that since the mother is not British yet (only ILR for one year), child can get mother's citizenship and apply for ILR and then apply for Naturalisation once in UK to get citizenship otherwise than descent.

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:13 am

IMBerocca wrote:John,

Wouldn't it be possible, that since the mother is not British yet (only ILR for one year), child can get mother's citizenship and apply for ILR and then apply for Naturalisation once in UK to get citizenship otherwise than descent.
No.

The child is already a British citizen.
I am no longer posting publicly on this website - PM me if needed.

ravis
Newly Registered

Post by ravis » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:21 am

John wrote:
No. Had you wanted that your wife and you would have decided to make sure the baby was born in the UK.
Thank you all for the inputs given. I've been adviced by Immigration Advisory Services (IAS) that I can bring my child into UK with a Right of Abode, Later I can apply his UK citizenship through registration to avoid British by descent. Can I do this? please advice.

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:24 am

ravis wrote:
John wrote:
Thank you all for the inputs given. I've been adviced by Immigration Advisory Services (IAS) that I can bring my child into UK with a Right of Abode, Later I can apply his UK citizenship through registration to avoid British by descent. Can I do this? please advice.
No.

The child was born a British citizen. There is no facility for a British citizen to naturalise as a British citizen.
I am no longer posting publicly on this website - PM me if needed.