ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Full-time student wants to apply for benefit

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

franked
Newly Registered

Full-time student wants to apply for benefit

Post by franked » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:22 pm

hi im a full time student and recieving student loan and grant but now in a financial difficulties. would like to know if I can apply for jobseekers allowance or any other benefit such as housing to survive.
thanks

stanik

Post by stanik » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:00 pm

if you are full time student, how can you work? you can't get JSA if you are not be able to work.

franked
Newly Registered

Post by franked » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:54 pm

I have checked the directgov website and it says that you can recieve jobseekers allowance if you're married and your partner is also a student and/or you have a child or if you're a lone parent.
I also rang my local JCP today and they gave me the same story that I cant apply for JSA if im in full time education. However its true, but not exactly. you can apply and get JSA if one of the above applies to you.

now since students are quite restricted from recieving the benefits, there are other ways they can get financial help and support such as ALF (Access to Learning Fund) from their Uni/College.
Dude I feel like an expert just after one days wandering around :D

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:53 pm

Whats ur nationality and visa status?
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

franked
Newly Registered

Post by franked » Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:26 am

Im a non-eea national on a resident card of a family member of an eea national.
also if someone know that if you're self employed on behalf of another employer lets just say, does tax man knows or are employers bound to inform tax man straight away of your employment or at the end of the financial year?
cheers!

mochyn
Diamond Member

Post by mochyn » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:17 pm

the employer informs the tax man as soon as you start work

The system is PAYE, Pay As You Earn

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:25 pm

franked, are you saying that you and your spouse have a child? If so are you claiming Child Benefit and Tax Credits?

And Council Tax, are you paying that? Or claiming the student exemption?
John

franked
Newly Registered

Post by franked » Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:39 pm

John wrote:franked, are you saying that you and your spouse have a child? If so are you claiming Child Benefit and Tax Credits?

And Council Tax, are you paying that? Or claiming the student exemption?
yes we do have a child but the child benefit and tax credit is in her name as we have separated and shes the one whos claiming it. Im not paying council tax as im studying which is a relief but are you suggesting that I can claim child benefit and tax credit too given that im not living with them?

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:51 pm

are you suggesting that I can claim child benefit and tax credit too given that im not living with them?
I don't suggest that, but I do suggest it is not helpful for you not to give all relevant information!

So in benefit terms you are a single person, who is a student, and you are correctly not paying Council Tax, but I don't see what else what else you can claim.

But a hint .... students get very long summer holidays, and one of the reasons for that is that they take seasonal work. You are not limited to the number of hours you can work.

But a greater problem, given you tell us you have separated from your EEA spouse, why do you think you have retained rights to stay in the UK?
John