ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Passport

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

kpr29
Newly Registered

British Passport

Post by kpr29 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:38 pm

Hi There
I hold Indian Passport. I had my citizenship ceremony today and got my certificate.
I have to travel to India early July, so not sure if there will be a problem if I travel with India passport.
I couldn't find any relevant information on the web.
Please let me know if it is ok to travel with Indian passport after receiving british citizenship certificate?
Is there any grace period?
How long can I keep my Indian passport with me.

Thanks in advance
KPR

mrlookforward
BANNED

Post by mrlookforward » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:43 pm

As per Indian law, you now have lost Indian citizenship, and hence your passport has become invalid. You should now obtain British passport and then surrender your Indian passport to HCI london. Govt of India wont know that you have got British citizenship until you tell them. So basically you can travel to India and when you come back to UK you can then surrender your passport to HCI. I think you will have to pay a fine of about £150 plus thier normal fees.
http://hcilondon.in/

kpr29
Newly Registered

Post by kpr29 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:55 pm

Hi There
Thanks for your reply.
I just found the following information on http://www.cgibirmingham.org/consrvcs_alt.htm

Grace period of three months is allowed from the date of acquisition of foreign citizenship for the purpose of travel on Indian passport. No penalty will be leviable for travel on Indian passport.

So, I believe I don't have to pay any penality as I am travelling within the 3 month grace period.

Thanks
KPR

mrlookforward
BANNED

Post by mrlookforward » Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:26 am

Your problem solved :D