ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR - Query regarding my qualifying period.

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

mark79
Newly Registered

ILR - Query regarding my qualifying period.

Post by mark79 » Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:43 pm

Hi

I've had a look through the threads, but haven't been able to find something to answer my question. Apologies if this question is repetitive.

I started work with my company in Aug 2002 (on a student visa on an internship as I completed my Masters). The company then applied for a work permit in November. However due to a problem with the initial application, a second application was submitted and eventually in February my passport was stamped with the work permit, with a validity until Jan 2005. Then at that point, the application for the extension was put in and I now have my work permit until January 2007.

My question is - Is there anyway of expediting my application for ILR?

Incidentally, I have also been in the country since January 1997.

Thanks!

Mark

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:49 pm

mark79 wrote:and eventually in February my passport was stamped with the work permit, with a validity until Jan 2005
Just to make it quite clear ... in February? Which year?
John

mark79
Newly Registered

Post by mark79 » Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:26 am

Hi John

Oops, sorry. My passport was stamped in February 2003 ( it was submitted to the home office in November 02, and I only got it back in February 03!)

Mark

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:41 am

Mark, now that is clear .... first employment visa started February 2003 .... I think you need to appreciate that (apart from long residence applications) time spent in the UK under a student visa does not count towards ILR. Accordingly it looks like your four years are up in February 2007 and thus should make application for ILR shortly before your current visa expires.

Time in the UK under a student visa would count towards a 10-year or 14-year long residence application. Your 10 years appear to be up in January 2007. However I strongly suggest you would not want to go down the Long Residence route as such applications take a very long time to get dealt with. Far better to apply for ILR nearly four years in the UK on employment visa.

A year after you getting your ILR you would be entitled to apply for Naturalisation. Or if you happen to be married to (or in Civil Partnership with) a British Citizen, then instantly as soon as you have your ILR .... on your facts.
John

mark79
Newly Registered

Post by mark79 » Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:03 am

Thanks Tom. You're advise is much appreciated.

Mark