ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Dissertation submitted - Can I work full time now?

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

mir_azam_k
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Dissertation submitted - Can I work full time now?

Post by mir_azam_k » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:37 pm

Hi,

I am an MBA (full time) student and I have recently (09-06-2010) submitted my final dissertation for my course and I am currently awaiting results. My student visa expires on 30-11-2010 which means I have about 5 months for my visa to expire. Since my course is complete and I am only awaiting results, can I now start working full time for 4 months on my current student visa?

I searched for this query on the UKBA website but there are no specific answers to this. I would be really thankful if you can provide clear information about this.

Thank You
Mir

wabuthu

Re: Dissertation submitted - Can I work full time now?

Post by wabuthu » Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:25 am

I think you need to have gotten your results, and only thereafter can you work full-time with the intention of switching to another category like PSW. All the best.
mir_azam_k wrote:Hi,

I am an MBA (full time) student and I have recently (09-06-2010) submitted my final dissertation for my course and I am currently awaiting results. My student visa expires on 30-11-2010 which means I have about 5 months for my visa to expire. Since my course is complete and I am only awaiting results, can I now start working full time for 4 months on my current student visa?

I searched for this query on the UKBA website but there are no specific answers to this. I would be really thankful if you can provide clear information about this.

Thank You
Mir
i'm not a professional, i'm just giving responses from personal experiences or from ukba or ukcisa links that appear appropriate to the situation. currently on PSW visa

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:06 am

I am not sure I agree with wabuthu. As far as I am aware you are restricted to 20 hours work per week during term-time, but unlimited hours per week are allowed outside of term-time.

So mir_azam_k, based upon what you have posted, you are now outside of term-time and accordingly can work unlimited hours.
John

wabuthu

Post by wabuthu » Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:58 pm

John wrote:So mir_azam_k, based upon what you have posted, you are now outside of term-time and accordingly can work unlimited hours.
According to UKCISA....and i quote
http://www.ukcisa.org.uk/student/info_s ... #term_time

" Where courses do not follow the usual August/September to June pattern, term-time means any period when you are supposed to be doing academic work. For example, when you be.....
* writing essays, a dissertation or thesis.

Your holidays, when you can work full-time, are the period when you do not have to be doing academic work. This will be different depending on the type of course you are doing. For example, if you are supposed to research and write a dissertation or thesis while other students are on holiday, this is term-time for you and you should restrict your work to 20 (or 10) hours a week during this time. However, if your tutor or supervisor agrees that you can take a break for some of that period and is happy to confirm in writing that this time is a holiday for you, you can work full-time during that agreed break.
"

all the best to OP, i suggest talking to your international student adviser and trying to do abit more background checking just in case....better to be safe than sorry
i'm not a professional, i'm just giving responses from personal experiences or from ukba or ukcisa links that appear appropriate to the situation. currently on PSW visa

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:47 pm

He has finished his dissertation and has submitted it. Accordingly in the terms of the words that you quote, he is not now in a "period when you are supposed to be doing academic work"

Seems pretty clear to me. Not sure what he needs to ask about.
John