ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Are Turkish spouses allowed to claim benefits???

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

pantalaimon
Newly Registered

Are Turkish spouses allowed to claim benefits???

Post by pantalaimon » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:34 am

This may sound like a silly question but my husband and I are about to apply for a spouse visa. He is Turkish, I am British. I understand that we must demonstrate that we will not need additional public funds (although the new wording on the ukvisa site has confused me even further as it now says without 'help' from public funds). I downloaded today the Public Funds PDF document from that site and it says If you are from Turkey, Morocco, Algeria,Tunisia or San Marino, you may be eligible for the following funds.

• Child tax credit
• Child benefit
• Income-based jobseeker’s allowance
• Income support
• A social fund payment
• Housing benefit
• Council tax benefit

So if my husband would be entitled (if I have not misunderstood this) then why is he only allowed a spouse visa if he is doesn't need it? Thanks for your help.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:37 am

Visa/immigration and access to public funds are entirely separate things, maybe the result of a reciprocal agreement but ur hubby still need to jump through the immigration hoops...
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....