ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Is it near-impossible for 40+ ???

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

vilasjoshi
Newly Registered

Is it near-impossible for 40+ ???

Post by vilasjoshi » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:32 pm

Hi all

I am 40+ and having good income from IT profession and can easily get tier 1 visa. However, getting an extension after 2 yrs in UK (FLR) looks nearly impossible as I will have to show an income of GBP 55000 during 12 months prior to applying for extension (35 points for master's degree, 5 points for UK exp BUT cannot get any points for age, thus have to get the remaining 40 points from 'previous income' -- am assuming that pass marks then will be at least 80).

Am I missing something here? OR should the 40+ like me keep away?

This is a serious question releant for may readers. Thus request only serious and well-studied answers. Please avoid casual and un-studied remarks.

Thanks in advance

ukswus

Re: Is it near-impossible for 40+ ???

Post by ukswus » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:25 pm

vilasjoshi wrote:Hi all

I am 40+ and having good income from IT profession and can easily get tier 1 visa. However, getting an extension after 2 yrs in UK (FLR) looks nearly impossible as I will have to show an income of GBP 55000 during 12 months prior to applying for extension (35 points for master's degree, 5 points for UK exp BUT cannot get any points for age, thus have to get the remaining 40 points from 'previous income' -- am assuming that pass marks then will be at least 80).
40 points for earnings is actually 65,000-75,000.

Honestly speaking, if you can now easily earn enough to apply for Tier 1 visa, I think you are much better of staying in your country. On top of the insane salary requirement for extension, there is no guarantee you will be able to get it even if you earn enough, as the government is now hinting they may cap extensions as well.

I myself think it was a mistake to come here. I am beginning to look into other alternatives.