ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Asylum seekers protest transfer plan

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Ben
Diamond Member

Asylum seekers protest transfer plan

Post by Ben » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:35 am

[quote="IrishTimes.com"]Hundreds of asylum seekers living at the Mosney accommodation centre in Co Meath are expected to stage a protest today to try to prevent the transfer of 111 residents to different hostels across the country.

The Reception and Integration Agency, an agency of the Department of Justice, issued the transfer orders last week and the first buses are scheduled to arrive at the former Butlins holiday camp this morning to begin taking people to new accommodation. But at a demonstration against the transfers yesterday many of those who are due to be moved said they would refuse to go.

“It is an attack on human rights to tell you to move with just a few days’ notice. I have been in Mosney for four years. But before that they moved me to four different hostels with no consultation. This time they aren’t going to move me,â€
I am no longer posting publicly on this website - PM me if needed.

xxxtieee

Post by xxxtieee » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:53 am

Tax payers interests vs Asylum Seekers' interests

Also interesting to see asylum seekers; who have left their home countries due to inhuman conditions, complaining that the country where they seek asylum has inhuman conditions..

tough life...
-xxxtieee-

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:59 am

4 - 5 years to process asylum claims? I didn't know it took that long.

agniukas

Post by agniukas » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:15 am

i believe the decision is made within 12 months and it's usually the refusal. then all the appeals start that take years due to the possibility to appeal higher each time the decision is negative.[/quote]

scrudu

Post by scrudu » Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:10 pm

agniukas wrote:i believe the decision is made within 12 months and it's usually the refusal. then all the appeals start that take years due to the possibility to appeal higher each time the decision is negative.
[/quote]
It's an absolute joke that we have asylum seekers waiting for 5 years to close out on cases. I'm surprised they aren't hunger striking over this rather than having to move homes.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:02 pm

This is very appauling indeed, for an advance western nation.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

knapps
Member of Standing

Post by knapps » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:16 pm

Advance western Nation :shock:

Is this an American Forum[/img]

agniukas

Post by agniukas » Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:19 am

http://www.independent.ie/national-news ... 53365.html

NIGERIAN mother-of-two Pamela Izevbekhai has vowed to continue her fight to prevent her deportation from Ireland after her defeat in the Supreme Court.

Ms Izevbekhai, who claims her daughters Naomi (9) and Jemima (8) face genital mutilation if they are deported to her native Nigeria, is "looking forward" to having her case heard before the European Court of Human Rights (ECHR).

Ms Izevbekhai exhausted all of her legal options in Ireland after a five-year legal battle that her new solicitor says will lead to "quite phenomenal" costs.

This is one example of why it takes so long to close an asylum case. She is not waiting for the decision all those 5 years, she is challenging the refusal and deportation by any means possible at the cost of the irish tax payer.

koded

Post by koded » Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:23 am

It is not the woman's fault, it is the solicitor's fault. Why not advice the woman to go back to her country. I am sure the woman dont really know much about the law. It is the advices that her lawyer is giving her.

agniukas

Post by agniukas » Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:02 pm

it would be a good idea, however unlikely, because most of the solicitors are getting money for each case they persue, so it is not in their interests. i believe in the new bill 2010 the solicitors will be held accountable for the cases they represent and the cost incurred if they keep on pushing the cases with no chances or reason for success

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:49 pm

agniukas wrote:Ms Izevbekhai, who claims her daughters Naomi (9) and Jemima (8) face genital mutilation if they are deported to her native Nigeria
I think by now we all know that that is bollocks. It's 2010. They (Nigerian "refugees") had a long run but the cat's out of the bag. We know that Nigeria is a safe country now.

scrudu

Post by scrudu » Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:28 am

koded wrote:It is not the woman's fault, it is the solicitor's fault. Why not advice the woman to go back to her country. I am sure the woman dont really know much about the law. It is the advices that her lawyer is giving her.
She was already dropped by her original solicitor after she was found out to have lied about the alleged FGM and death of her daughter in Nigeria. She then found another solicitor to take her case. As for her knowing nothing about the law, it seems she knows rather well how to play with the system.

archigabe

Post by archigabe » Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:46 pm

From Today's Irish Times
Asylum seekers living in limbo

IQU
Diamond Member

HIIIIIIIIII

Post by IQU » Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:53 pm

i am agree with ben nigeria is safe country now.asylum seeker case to be resulted within 1 year time .

walrusgumble
BANNED

Post by walrusgumble » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:04 am

koded wrote:It is not the woman's fault, it is the solicitor's fault. Why not advice the woman to go back to her country. I am sure the woman dont really know much about the law. It is the advices that her lawyer is giving her.
Sweet bloody jesus, have you seen the fact that she has used 5, count it 5 different solicitors all ready!!!! You tend to leave them when they advise you that there is no case, or that they could not represent you after being made aware of information that they would need to tell a court.

no one points a gun to their head or make the false claim

Don't make that women out to be ignorant. She is a lot smarter than one thinks, she was educated. she knew where the road to the ECtHR was without much prompting. there is oceans of information made freely available on the net

victor8600

Post by victor8600 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:17 pm

What I do not understand is why asylum applications are considered in Ireland at all. I would imagine that most of the people claiming asylum arrived here from other EU countries. Those EU countries should be considering the applications.
How many genuine asylum seekers can afford obtaining a ticket + visa to come to Ireland from their own country?
All your base are belong to us

fatty patty

Post by fatty patty » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:37 am

victor8600 wrote:What I do not understand is why asylum applications are considered in Ireland at all. I would imagine that most of the people claiming asylum arrived here from other EU countries. Those EU countries should be considering the applications.
How many genuine asylum seekers can afford obtaining a ticket + visa to come to Ireland from their own country?
Term asylum seeker does not solely mean a person landing on a dinghy or peice of wood from the sea. Alot of people already in the country on different visas do apply on different basis....for e.g. political asylum, threat to life etc. etc. The ones which are coming from different Eu jurisdictions are already being sent back (if they've applied in those countries first as refugee because asylum seekers are fingerprinted) as its now a EU wide refugee database.

agniukas

Post by agniukas » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:16 pm

http://www.independent.ie/national-news ... 35259.html
According to the Department of Justice, it takes the Office of the Refugee Applications Commissioner up to nine weeks to process applications.

In instances involving applications for High Court judicial reviews, the process can drag on for several years.

walrusgumble
BANNED

Post by walrusgumble » Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:52 am

agniukas wrote:http://www.independent.ie/national-news ... 35259.html
According to the Department of Justice, it takes the Office of the Refugee Applications Commissioner up to nine weeks to process applications.

In instances involving applications for High Court judicial reviews, the process can drag on for several years.
and?