ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

How soon after arriving in the UK on Family Permit can you

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Wandering ant
Newly Registered

How soon after arriving in the UK on Family Permit can you

Post by Wandering ant » Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:52 pm

apply for the residence card?

Do you HAVE TO wait 3 mths? Or can it be done shortly after arrival?

Are there any issues to consider if you do apply for RC soon after arrival - that is, before 3 mths?

Thank you.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:37 am

I think that you may apply as soon as possible.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Wandering ant
Newly Registered

Post by Wandering ant » Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:04 am

Thank you Vinny.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:54 am

I think it needs to be clear that the EEA citizen is exercising their Treaty Rights, either as employed, self-employed, student or self-sufficient person.

I make this point because if the EEA citizen is also newly-arrived in the UK, they have up to 3 months to start exercising those Treaty Rights. I don't think it makes any sense for the non-EEA family member to apply for a Residence Card, until their EEA citizen is properly exercising those Treaty Rights.

Or put it another way, if the EEA citizen is not exercising Treaty Rights, any application for a Residence Card by non-EEA family members would be bound to fail.
John

Wandering ant
Newly Registered

Post by Wandering ant » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:15 am

Hi John,

We are going under the self-sufficient route, would it be okay for me to apply shortly after then? My husband the EEA is filing that we are self suficient. We have more than enough funds, have bought a house and our entire family have global insurance.

I have already been given the family permit. Just trying to see how to proceed when we get there.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:53 pm

Indeed yes. Assuming your husband is there in the UK with you, and the insurance includes comprehensive sickness insurance, apply soon after arrival.
John

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:09 pm

Note that:
4. —(1) In these Regulations — wrote:(c) "self-sufficient person" means a person who has—

(i) sufficient resources not to become a burden on the social assistance system of the United Kingdom during his period of residence; and

(ii) comprehensive sickness insurance cover in the United Kingdom;
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Wandering ant
Newly Registered

Post by Wandering ant » Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:39 pm

Thanks gentlemen! Well we should be okay......fingers crossed! We fit very well into the self-sufficient category.