ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Police Registration

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Police Registration

Post by Wanderer » Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:44 pm

Does a Citizen of the Russian Federation here on six month student visa (long story!) but on three year degree course (dfes approved) need to register with Police?

We are doing FLR(S) now wrt to six month visa to extend.

We are confused because at first the uni said she *might* need to register with the police (before she arrived here), but now they've gone blank when we actually ask.

A fellow FSU student (second year) from Ukraine said she has never had to register with Police, so we are unclear on this, especially as FLR(S) needs to have proof of this registration if required.

Spasibochka!

Steve

Joseph
Member of Standing

Post by Joseph » Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:20 pm

I believe the stamp on the passport (or sticker) will say whether registration with the police is needed. If it doesn't say that, it's not required.
Joseph

Smit
Member of Standing

Post by Smit » Wed Nov 30, 2005 3:51 pm

Check this thread out. Police registration is required for Russians.

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=4287

Joseph
Member of Standing

Post by Joseph » Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:17 pm

Thanks Smit for the list.

Wanderer
Your entry visa should state that registration is required. But sometimes they make a mistake and don't state this, which means you haven't been officially notified and therefore are technically not required to register. :wink:

But if I were you, I would register in any case because Russia is definitely on the list and you now know it.

Joseph

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:21 pm

Smit wrote:Check this thread out. Police registration is required for Russians.

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=4287
Interesting.

Russia is indeed on Annexe A list for police registration. (Although not the Russian Federation - our Doctors are insisting they are different places - still no doctor registration!)

However, from the same page on the link, Chapter 1, Section 10 prior to Annexe A says:

"Paragraph 326 of the Rules states that a person should be required to register with the police if he is a "relevant foreign national" (see below) and he is given limited leave to remain which will allow him to stay for longer than 6 months from the date of his arrival (whether or not such a condition was imposed when he arrived)"

As hers is a six month does registration not apply?

Steve

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:27 pm

Joseph wrote:Thanks Smit for the list.

Wanderer
Your entry visa should state that registration is required. But sometimes they make a mistake and don't state this, which means you haven't been officially notified and therefore are technically not required to register. :wink:

But if I were you, I would register in any case because Russia is definitely on the list and you now know it.

Joseph
The visa says nothing at all about Police Registration.

Further to my previous post having read the IND docs linked I feel registration is not required as visa is 6 month one.

But!

We want to be sure our FLR(S) is complete and full

We wonder is registering late is gonna penalise us more than hoping we get away with it (assuming we need to register)

I just know when we go to register the coppers are not gonna have a clue and will tell us to go away!

Steve

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:41 pm

We already have a link to the previous topic on this subject. The last post in that, from me, reads :-
As a generalisation, if it is a condition of your visa that you need to register with the Police then you must do that ..... if not, you need not do that.
I'll stick with that. Let's not make this more complicated than it really is! That is ... look at the UK sticker in your passport. If it requires Registration with the Police then that must be done. However if there is no such requirement then easy, you don't!
John

Joseph
Member of Standing

Post by Joseph » Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:10 pm

John is absolutely right, if the visa doesn't state it you are not required. I was just stating what I would do if I were in your situation.

As long as you have the passport to show that the visa didn't require you to register with the police you are fine. But what if (heaven forbid) you lose your passport? Then the burden of proof is on you when renewal time comes up. That was why I suggested you do it--just to cover yourself. If you are comfortable with the risk, don't worry about it.

If the police balk about registering you, show them the list.

Joseph

Rogerio

Post by Rogerio » Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:23 am

From personal experience.... I'm from Brazil, but when I first entered the UK, they did not stamp anything on my passport as regards me being required to register. And I didn't. When I applied for ILR, I got it without a problem.... Rogerio.