ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UK Passport for Registered Child?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Enquirer77

UK Passport for Registered Child?

Post by Enquirer77 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:37 pm

Can someone please clarify the position of a 13 year old child who has ILR and is resident in the UK and wishes to register as a British citizen and have his own UK passport?

My wife who has ILR and has been resident in the UK for more than 3 years is about to apply for naturalisation as a British Citizen. I believe her 13 year old son (born in Ukraine), who also has ILR and who lives with us in the UK, can only apply for registration as a British citizen at this time and cannot apply for naturalisation until he is 18 years old. If his application for registration as a British citizen is approved can he have his own UK passport at this time, or does he have to wait until he is 18 years old and make an application for naturalisation before he can receive a UK passport?

Alternatively, once his mother is naturalised and has her own UK passport, can her 13 year old son appear on his mother's UK passport, so that he can travel freely with us in the EEA?

Thank you!

Enquirer77

Post by Enquirer77 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:59 pm

I guess I could simplify the above question by asking whether a 13 year old child who becomes registered (not naturalised) as a British citizen, is entitled to have his own child's UK Passport?

f2k
Diamond Member

Post by f2k » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:56 pm

How long has he lived in the UK. I may have read somewhere on this site that children over 13 need to have lived in UK for over 2 years to apply with parents.

He is probably to able to apply for registration at the same time as his mom applies for her naturalisation.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/briti ... thercases/

To apply have a look at the Form MN and Guide MN on the right hand of link below

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/briti ... shcitizen/

Enquirer77

Post by Enquirer77 » Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:37 pm

Thanks or your reply f2k.

My stepson has lived in the UK with us for 2 years already, his mum has lived here for three years.

No, it's not completely clear to me what his entitlement is. I haven't seen anywhere that he can apply for naturalisation at the same time as his mum (certainly he was entitiled to ILR at the same time his mum applied for hers but I'm not sure about citizenship). I had a look at the guidance notes for the MN form but it's not clear.

I think we can only register him as a British citizen, after which he can apply for a child's UK passport, but I think he has to be 18 years old before he qualifies and can apply for naturalisation as a British citizen and then apply for an adult UK passport.

If anyone else knows any different please let me know.

Thanks!

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:08 am

Enquirer77 wrote:Thanks or your reply f2k.

My stepson has lived in the UK with us for 2 years already, his mum has lived here for three years.

No, it's not completely clear to me what his entitlement is. I haven't seen anywhere that he can apply for naturalisation at the same time as his mum (certainly he was entitiled to ILR at the same time his mum applied for hers but I'm not sure about citizenship). I had a look at the guidance notes for the MN form but it's not clear.

I think we can only register him as a British citizen, after which he can apply for a child's UK passport, but I think he has to be 18 years old before he qualifies and can apply for naturalisation as a British citizen and then apply for an adult UK passport.

If anyone else knows any different please let me know.

Thanks!
You are very confused!

If he becomes registered British, he is a British citizen and does not have to reapply for citizenship as an adult.

Where is his other parent in all of this?

Enquirer77

Post by Enquirer77 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:13 pm

Thank you for clearing up the confusion JAJ. His biological father lives in Ukraine.