ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

How long a tier 1 visa will be valid before entering the UK?

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

umtstest
Newly Registered

How long a tier 1 visa will be valid before entering the UK?

Post by umtstest » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:32 am

Hi
I am planning to apply to Tier 1 General from outside the UK before July 19 to avoid the cap but have no intention to travel in the immediate time assuming I will be granted the visa. How long will the visa continue to be valide before you enter the UK? and when the two years start to count

Thanks

LearningCurve

Post by LearningCurve » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:06 am

The Tier 1 will be valid from the date from which you request in your application, which can't be beyond 3 months from the date of application.

There is no time limit to enter the country as such, you can enter as long as the visa is valid.

mnrao
Newly Registered

Post by mnrao » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:51 pm

If you are not planning to travel immediately, at max you can push 3 months, from the date of application. Even I applied my application on July 7th 2010, and filled the VAF9 form with October 8th 2010 as travel plan date.

Let me see how my passport will be stamped (If at all stamped). I am waiting to collect my Passport tomorrow.

prisat
Member of Standing

Post by prisat » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:04 pm

mnrao wrote:If you are not planning to travel immediately, at max you can push 3 months, from the date of application. Even I applied my application on July 7th 2010, and filled the VAF9 form with October 8th 2010 as travel plan date.

Let me see how my passport will be stamped (If at all stamped). I am waiting to collect my Passport tomorrow.
One quick question for you....

Why did you mention the travel date as 8th Oct and not as 6th Oct ???
Disclaimer :

I am not from a law firm or an attorney who provide Consultation for Immigration to UK.
Information that i provide is not the same as legal advice or legal advises. Use the message (s) and information at your own risk.

prisat
Member of Standing

Re: How long a tier 1 visa will be valid before entering the

Post by prisat » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:07 pm

umtstest wrote:Hi
I am planning to apply to Tier 1 General from outside the UK before July 19 to avoid the cap but have no intention to travel in the immediate time assuming I will be granted the visa. How long will the visa continue to be valide before you enter the UK? and when the two years start to count

Thanks
You can enter any time. The VISA start date can requested as any date which fall in within the 90 days period. Based on the Tentative travel date that you give in the form, your VISA will exactly start that day and will be valid for the next two years. But please refer ILR policies which is as of today. Please note that ILR policy may get changed any time.
Disclaimer :

I am not from a law firm or an attorney who provide Consultation for Immigration to UK.
Information that i provide is not the same as legal advice or legal advises. Use the message (s) and information at your own risk.

umtstest
Newly Registered

Post by umtstest » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:03 pm

Thanks all for the reply.
Please let me ubderstand one point. As some stated the visa will be valid from the date the applicant indicates in the application form (less than three months) and you can enter the UK any time on or after that date. It has also been mentioned that the two-year visa will start ticking from that date. Does this mean that if some one enter after six months he will have only 1.5 years inside the UK? Doesn't the rule for extension mention that you have to have two years real residency at stage 1. Please explain

aruni4470
Diamond Member

Post by aruni4470 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:19 pm

Doesn't the rule for extension mention that you have to have two years real residency at stage 1.
No such rule..

Midas
Newly Registered

Post by Midas » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:28 am

My understanding is that visa will start from the date when it was stamped and will end exactly after two or three years. I applied on Jan 18 and mentioned my travelling date as 6 June,stamped on March 10 and got passport back on March 29.
I inquired same from visa office and they said your visa is good between validity period.

Am i right or missing something here

prisat
Member of Standing

Post by prisat » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:33 am

Midas wrote:My understanding is that visa will start from the date when it was stamped and will end exactly after two or three years. I applied on Jan 18 and mentioned my travelling date as 6 June,stamped on March 10 and got passport back on March 29.
I inquired same from visa office and they said your visa is good between validity period.

See your VISA Printed page for the Validity Period. If iam not wrng, it should be 6th June 2010 - as long as 6th June falls within 3 months from the date of application filing.

10 'Q
Disclaimer :

aruni4470
Diamond Member

Post by aruni4470 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:40 am

indianinworld wrote:
Midas wrote:My understanding is that visa will start from the date when it was stamped and will end exactly after two or three years. I applied on Jan 18 and mentioned my travelling date as 6 June,stamped on March 10 and got passport back on March 29.

See your VISA Printed page for the Validity Period. If iam not wrng, it should be 6th June 2010 - as long as 6th June falls within 3 months from the date of application filing.

10 'Q[/quote

One can only ask for a post dated visa upto 3 months from the date of application. One cannot ask for a visa from June 6th when applying on Jan 18th.

mnrao
Newly Registered

Post by mnrao » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:43 pm

indianinworld wrote:
mnrao wrote:If you are not planning to travel immediately, at max you can push 3 months, from the date of application. Even I applied my application on July 7th 2010, and filled the VAF9 form with October 8th 2010 as travel plan date.

Today I got the Visa, and valid from Oct 8th 2010. I submitted app on 7th July, so this is my application date. So we can mention at max 3 months from application date.

prisat
Member of Standing

Post by prisat » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:29 pm

mnrao wrote:
indianinworld wrote:

Today I got the Visa, and valid from Oct 8th 2010. I submitted app on 7th July, so this is my application date. So we can mention at max 3 months from application date.
Congrats !!!
Disclaimer :

mnrao
Newly Registered

Post by mnrao » Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:43 pm

indianinworld wrote:
mnrao wrote:
indianinworld wrote:

Congrats !!!
Thanks.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:31 pm

umtstest, you can enter UK any day from the date of issue of the visa until the day of expiry. But an application for extension must reach UKBA before you leave to enter / remain expires.

E.g. - Assuming you are issued a 2 year visa beginning 01-Jul-10 and expiring 30-Jun-12. Now you can enter UK anyday between these two dates but your extension application must reach UKBA on/before 30-Jun-12.

regards

umtstest
Newly Registered

Post by umtstest » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:03 pm

Thanks sushdmehta. This is new to me. Now if I apply just before June-30 in the example, can I claim points for my earnings outside the UK for extension. The reason I am saying that is that I have a good job here in Canada and I don't like to lose it before I can get a good job in the UK. I can't get any point on my age as I am above 40 and as such I rely much on the earnings.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:06 am

umtstest wrote:This is new to me.
Shouldn't be, 'coz no country, including Canada, allows resident aliens (non-nationals) to stay in the country beyond the expiry date of their visa.
umtstest wrote:Now if I apply just before June-30 in the example, can I claim points for my earnings outside the UK for extension.
Not when those earnings were made in the period when you had not even entered / remained in the UK. Read the policy guidance where in you can find out all the details about extension criteria.

regards

umtstest
Newly Registered

Post by umtstest » Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:10 am

Thanks again. No I mean entering the UK to start the visa then trying to get a job for some weeks. If I wasn't successful then I will come back and keep trying from Canada. If I get a job in the UK I will go again otherwise I will stay in Canada and continue my job. Will I be able to earn points on the earning I make after coming back to Canada.
The other question which is different is that is there any rules currently regarding those who finished the five years stay but they have not stay continuesly in the UK during the five years.
Regards

Aladdin

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:01 pm

umtstest wrote:Will I be able to earn points on the earning I make after coming back to Canada.
Not for extension.
umtstest wrote:The other question which is different is that is there any rules currently regarding those who finished the five years stay but they have not stay continuesly in the UK during the five years.
Given the current rules, in such case one can only apply for further extension of temporary stay (e.g. - Tier 1) if eligible, but will not be able to apply for settlement in the UK.

regards

mahesh.lee
Newly Registered

Post by mahesh.lee » Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:14 pm

I think overseas earnings can be used for extension applications.

point 135 and 136 has reference to that. we cannot make any uplift calculations to the earnings for extension applications.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:45 pm

mahesh.lee wrote:I think overseas earnings can be used for extension applications.

point 135 and 136 has reference to that. we cannot make any uplift calculations to the earnings for extension applications.
There's more than meets the eye. Earning made overseas isn't necessarily same as living and being employed outside UK (and not contributing to UK economy by earning here, paying taxes, NI, or living here).

regards