ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can I study Masters on Tier1 or Tier1-Dependent visa?

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

pb80
Newly Registered

Can I study Masters on Tier1 or Tier1-Dependent visa?

Post by pb80 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:21 pm

Hi,

I have got an admission offer from a top UK university for a post-graduate (Masters) taught course, which starts in Oct'2010. I'm currently in the UK on HSMP visa, which expires next year in Jun'2011 (some 2-3 months before the course ends). My husband has a Tier-1 visa too.

My question is - can I do my post-graduate studies on Tier 1 visa and when it expires, on Tier-1 Dependent? I understand the rules have changed a bit (like a CAS certificate is issued by the University), hence the question. Also, for Student Visa (Tier-4), I would have to return to my home country, which would be a little difficult for me. So, wanted to explore other options - like studying on Tier1 or Tier1-dependent.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks,
PB

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:36 pm

1. Yes. But do check with UKBA directly.
2. CAS is only required when applying for Tier 4. To change to Tier 4, you'll need to return to home country to apply for Tier 4 EC there.

regards

pb80
Newly Registered

Post by pb80 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:05 pm

Thank you, that was really useful! I have another question though.

I saw this page - http://intsupport.glam.ac.uk/non-tier-4/ - which says - "You should be aware that immigration officials you encounter, for example, if you leave the UK and re-enter at any point during your stay might want to see evidence that you are undertaking employment in the UK and therefore fulfilling the remit for which the visa was issued. If you are not able to do so and can only provide evidence that you are studying, they may consider that your circumstances have changed since you applied for a visa in a work category. This could result in them cancelling or curtailing that visa on the basis that you should be in the UK with a Tier 4 student visa."

Now this sounds like trouble. Do you think this could be a problem even if I'm `Tier-1 dependent' and not Tier-1 holder?

I'll check with the Home Office as well.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:11 pm

Tier 1 dependent, not a problem.
Tier 1, you may face the situation as above.

Unfortunately, there is nothing in the immigration rules that would tell you one way or the other. Hence, best to check with UKBA.

regards

pb80
Newly Registered

Post by pb80 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:12 pm

Thank you very much for your help!!

mhkhan

Post by mhkhan » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:35 pm

Dear All,
I followed this topic and hence I wanted to share with what I learnt from UKBA officer in London over the phone today. He told me that part-time study is permitted on Tier 1 (G) provided you continue being economically active. Their definition of part-time study is less than 20 hours a week of formal study.

This helps me as I am a lecturer on Tier 1 visa and am interested in doing a part-time Phd.

thanks,

[quote="pb80"]Thank you very much for your help!![/quote]

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:14 pm

pb80, did you / husband apply for HSMP before Nov. 06?

regards

pb80
Newly Registered

Post by pb80 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:28 pm

I applied for and got my HSMP in 2008, while my husband got his Tier 1 in 2009.

Regards,

ukswus

Post by ukswus » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:06 pm

pb80 wrote:Thank you, that was really useful! I have another question though.

I saw this page - http://intsupport.glam.ac.uk/non-tier-4/ - which says - "You should be aware that immigration officials you encounter, for example, if you leave the UK and re-enter at any point during your stay might want to see evidence that you are undertaking employment in the UK and therefore fulfilling the remit for which the visa was issued. If you are not able to do so and can only provide evidence that you are studying, they may consider that your circumstances have changed since you applied for a visa in a work category. This could result in them cancelling or curtailing that visa on the basis that you should be in the UK with a Tier 4 student visa."

Now this sounds like trouble. Do you think this could be a problem even if I'm `Tier-1 dependent' and not Tier-1 holder?

I'll check with the Home Office as well.

Tier 1 dependent is definitely not a problem.

My wife has a Tier 1 General dependent visa and also studies for a Master's at the Uni of London. She re-entered UK on numerous occasions in the last year, and never had a problem with immigrations officers.