ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Getting Married in Japan

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

johnnythefox
Newly Registered

Getting Married in Japan

Post by johnnythefox » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:02 pm

Hello to all on the board.

I am considering getting married in Japan (to a Japanese national) in the near future and then coming back to the UK.

I have read the general procedure for doing this. My question was how long roughly would it it take to take to all go through (the marriage part). The reason being i would need to know how long to stay in Japan or even indeed if i would have enough leave to go to Japan and do it all in the time i am there.

Thanks in advance for any replies

John

86ti
Diamond Member

Post by 86ti » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:36 pm

All you need to do is to drop off the marriage form at the city hall (or whatever -yakusho is responsible) and you should get the marriage certificate immediately. You will need a certificate that essentially states that you would also be legally able to marry in your own country. And I remeber that you would also need the signature of two witnesses (one for each of you, witnesses do not have to be physically present at the city hall). What wonders me, however, is if that is really all so simple if you are not resident there...

johnnythefox
Newly Registered

Post by johnnythefox » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:41 pm

Maybe i wasn't clear i am in the UK now and would be going there to get married.

86ti
Diamond Member

Post by 86ti » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:53 pm

Yes, I understand that. What I said above needs to be done in Japan.

johnnythefox
Newly Registered

Post by johnnythefox » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:15 pm

Would my wife then be able to come to the UK with me straight away?

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:20 pm

johnnythefox wrote:Would my wife then be able to come to the UK with me straight away?
No - needs to apply for a spouse visa - nearest UK consulate, you need to prove you have suitable accom. and can afford to keep her with public fund.

Cost is £644.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

86ti
Diamond Member

Post by 86ti » Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:26 pm

For current processing times of settlement visas look here. Also, don't forget to get the Apostille for all documents of your future wife.

Gnosis
Newly Registered

Post by Gnosis » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:24 pm

You are getting married in Japan, so you have to know what they ask in case one party is foreigner. You are getting marry under their law and regulations. So all what you need your gf can ask and check better then to have problems when you arrive there.
Good luck!

johnnythefox
Newly Registered

Post by johnnythefox » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:05 am

Sorry for my ignorance.

What is the 'Apostille"?

Gnosis
Newly Registered

Post by Gnosis » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:49 am

Apostille you have to have for any document if it is going to be used abroad. Your documents (like birth certificate, certificate of nationality, marriage certificate and etc) will be recognized abroad if have Apostille.

johnnythefox
Newly Registered

Post by johnnythefox » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:04 pm

So i have to have this 'Apostille' for every British document i produce in Japan otherwise i cannot get married?!

86ti
Diamond Member

Post by 86ti » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:20 pm

The Japanese may require this but you will have to ask them. Maybe you can get the information you need from their embassy in London or through your future wife?

You may need the Apostille for the Japanese marriage certificate plus translation and possibly for any other Japanese document you'll need for the spouse visa application of your future wife. Three years ago the British embassy in Tokyo recommended me to do the translation myself and get my signature certified by a Japanese notary public who will also affix the Apostille (for about 10.000 yen, getting the Apostille directly from the Foreign Ministry would be free though). I had no problem later with the UKBA.

johnnythefox
Newly Registered

Post by johnnythefox » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:12 am

Some sites say i need a 'The foreign national's Alien Registration Card' or a 'Non-Japanese Registration Card'

Is this true?

doesnotcompute

Post by doesnotcompute » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:51 pm

@johnnythefox: I would strongly advise you to contact the authorities in Japan, and ask them if they require a Certificate of No Impediment / Certificate of Freedom to Marry. You *might* need to apply for this before you leave the UK from the Foreign & Commonwealth Office (if you are a British citizen getting married on your British passport), or from your nearest Embassy/Consulate (if you are not a British citizen, and you travelling to Japan on a different passport).

The only people who can tell you with any certainty what is required for marriage in Japan is the local authority / Registry Office in Japan that will be registering your marriage, so I would advise you to speak to them directly, or have your future spouse speak to them directly.