ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Apprenticeship in Belgium

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Rogerio

Apprenticeship in Belgium

Post by Rogerio » Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:34 pm

Hi guys,

my niece is 21 years old and is taking international law at university in Brazil at the moment. She has been offered an apprenticeship in Belgium for 2 months, with an international law firm, which she would like to accept.

I threw a spanner in the engine by telling her she could not simply enter Belgium on a tourist visa, as she would not be a tourist, and that the company would not be able to apply for a work permit, as this would not be a permanent position (on top of age, lack of experience,etc.)

The question is - is there any legal way for a non-EU young person (21yo)to work full time for 2 months in Belgium as an apprentice and then return to the country of Origin (Brazil, in her case) to finish her studies?

I really do not want her to do anything she is not allowed to.

Thanks for any info.

Rogerio

gani999

Post by gani999 » Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:42 pm

it is better you contact your local Belgian embassy and ask them

At the least, your niece will require proof of finances, and an offer for the apprenticeship from the organization she wishes to work for.

Good luck

Rogerio

Post by Rogerio » Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:48 pm

Thank you - she is naturally contacting the Embassy, but further to that, I was hoping to learn whether there is any such programme, or learn from experiences on here, as I have been unable to find it in the Belgian embassy website.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:23 pm

Rogerio wrote:She has been offered an apprenticeship in Belgium for 2 months, with an international law firm, which she would like to accept.
Maybe an international law firm with offices in Belgium might know the answer? :wink:

There must be someone there who knows about Belgian immigration law.
John

Rogerio

Post by Rogerio » Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:54 pm

Spot on John, I told her that, but still, I'd like to understand the process too.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:41 am

Rogerio, I think the point is this. Assuming that international law firm knows of her nationality and where she is living now ... Brazil ? ... I would be very surprised if they would make her an offer of an apprenticeship without also ensuring the she would be able to take up the position.

Can she not get back in touch with them and clarify that? And when she gets to Belgium maybe she could study Belgian immigration law and the Schengen area and become the expert on those subjects for this Board? :wink:
John

Rogerio

Post by Rogerio » Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:20 am

LOL - I will relay the offer !