ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Force marriage

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

zenbo
Newly Registered

Force marriage

Post by zenbo » Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:17 pm

I hope somebody can help me with this problem I have,, my head is completely screwed and I need some advice. Sorry its a bit long so please bear with me

Last year I went to Pakistan with my mum. Her relatives got her to ask me if I would like to marry their daughter, I said no as I didn't want to get married just yet. I had just started my new business and was studying for my degree at university and I was not in a position to get married.

But her relatives put the guilt trip on her, saying how poor they were and wanted their daughter to come to england and earn some money, they put us in an awakward position and also I didn't want to let my mum down so went through with the marriage... stupid I know but these realtives are very coniving people.

Anyway, once the nikah, the marriage had been done, I did not and haven't consumated the marriage as I didn't like her. They then strated treating me like dirt and said just get us the visa and then when she is in England you can divorce her. Just to get them off my back I agreed and came back to the UK the day after the marriage.

This past year has been hell with arguments with my mother, but I didn't want my mum to get upset so I applied for a visa. Last month in October my mum and sister went to pakistan and on the 30th my mum passed away after suffering a heart attack as my realtives were being extremely nasty to her. I went to Pakistan for the funeral and decided to give her a divorce as they were the root of all our problems this last year. I said to her I divorce her as this is suffiecient in an islamic marriage.

I got back from pakistan on the 6th November, I heard from some other people in Pakistan yesturday that the girl who is my "wife" has been in England for the past 5 day. I wasnt even aware of this!!!

My question now is who do I contact to get her sent back, I don't even know where she is, I know she is living with her dad in London.

Why did the embassy not inform that she had been granted a visa??

Please can you help me what to do, many thanks

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:31 pm

Why did the embassy not inform that she had been granted a visa??
They don't. They expect the applicant to tell their sponsor of any success or failure.
My question now is who do I contact to get her sent back, I don't even know where she is, I know she is living with her dad in London.
Don't think that you have some sort of veto over whether your wife, or is that ex-wife, stays in the UK. It is not as clear cut as that. It is for IND to decide that, not you.

Nevertheless I think IND might be very interested in knowing what you might say to them. After all a spouse visa holder is expected to enter the UK to live with their spouse, and that does not appear to be the intention at all. Contact details by clicking here.
John

zenbo
Newly Registered

Post by zenbo » Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:36 pm

thank you very much, I will get in touch with them.

Again thank you for replying so quick

bash_h

Post by bash_h » Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:55 pm

Zenbo,

You'll find some good advice on here and John is one of the most knowledged and experienced people here.

If you have given her a talaq (divorce) then AFAIK the marriage should've been annulled there & then, Im suprised you didnt notify the embassy as they would've probably stopped issuing the visa there.

The embassy does not have to inform you that she has got a visa, John's right, they expect her to tell you.

Anyway, I would suggest that leave things for now, in 2 years time when she has to apply for ILR, she wont have any paperwork etc to show her marriage is still valid.

However, in this day & age, I would not be suprised if some 'well-wishers' of hers would forge the paperwork, or indeed claim something like shes in a violent relationship (trust me, i've heard that one too). So I would go along with John's advice and indeed speak to the IND and just give them the facts ie. you're divorced and you have nothing to do with her any longer. Although again, I wouldnt be suprised if she challenged it somehow.

I can understand you are in a fairly desperate situation and coming from the same background, I know the kind of pressure relatives or parents put on.

Good luck, try to just give IND the facts and put it behind you and get on with your life.

All the best!
Bash

zenbo
Newly Registered

Post by zenbo » Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:05 pm

Hi Bash,

I really should have told the embassy whilst I was there but unfortuntaly I wasnt thinking straight and had to deal with my mums stuff back home aswell.

Anyway, hopefully I can sort this out and I will contact IND tomorrow.

Thanks again