ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Studying whilst on HSMP

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

mark79
Newly Registered

Studying whilst on HSMP

Post by mark79 » Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:02 am

Hi All

I'm considering taking up a full time MSc next September (2006), and was wondering if I there are any restrictions on doing so.

I'm currently on a work permit (3 years now and I should get my ILR in January 2007) and was hoping to go onto the HSMP in order not to lose my eligibilty to apply for my ILR after 4 years. Incidentally I should also qualify for ILR (based on the 10 year ruling) in January 2007.

Can anyone advise me on what the best course of action would be to start my course.

Thanks

Apologies if there is something already posted on this, but I couldn't find it.

Thanks
Mark

Chess
Diamond Member

Post by Chess » Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:16 am

HSMP is an employment related scheme. If you want to study full - time then get a student visa 8)

if you get HSMP and then study full time (without being economically active) - then you are claerly diving from the frying pan to the fire...
Where there is a will there is a way.

mark79
Newly Registered

Post by mark79 » Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:03 pm

Would there be an issue if I studied and worked at the same time. I would then want to apply for ILR in January 2007 (based on 4 years of work), which is 3-4 months into the course, which would then mean I'm not bound by an employment visa.

My concern for applying for a student visa is the requirement to leave the country for the application - which I think might impact my 10 year ILR application.

Thanks!

Mark

yodiyokun
Member of Standing

Post by yodiyokun » Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:12 pm

I dont think you should go for the 10year ruling.... thats just a concession ... you never know
and taking a student visa now ..to me isnt worth it cos a student visa dosent count towards your ILR on the 4yr route.

The question is do you have to take full time study...why not part time. I guess you can combine this with either work permit or HSMP so as to satisfy the economically active clause.

I think you should exercise caution here and think it through.
My bow has been renewed

mark79
Newly Registered

Post by mark79 » Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:41 pm

Sorry for being a pain here, but would it make a difference if I remained in part-time employment, and took up a full-time course at the same time? The course load is such that I have most of the week free anways.

Thanks for all the advise.

Mark

yodiyokun
Member of Standing

Post by yodiyokun » Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:50 am

i think the mods should help out here..Im not sure that parttime employment is considered under the hsmp scheme

but to me it seems you want to eat ur cake and have it
My bow has been renewed