ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Non EEA spouse of an Irish, help me pls

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

wizardland

Non EEA spouse of an Irish, help me pls

Post by wizardland » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:21 am

Dear all,

Just found this great forum last night and thought to ask for some help.

My situation is I am from a visa-required country (Indonesia), husband is Irish, been married for 5 yrs now and used to reside in the UK and I just got my Irish Join Spouse visa last week (after Dublin received it 12 weeks ago , well I read "smwhere" and was told that it was going to take 4 - 6 weeks, 8 weeks top, which is not an unheard of case here I believe. However, Im just grateful that it's approved).

Now, I am still blurred by what I need to do upon arrival and Im flying on Saturday. (Im flying in alone, with my document folder ready in my on board baggage incase I need to show some things)

What I know now:
1. As there is no allowed duration stay written on my visa, I was told that the officer at Dublin airport will decide how long Im allowed to stay.
2. Then I need to go to the Garda with my husband to register (has something to do with residency?) and will get stamp 4 on my passport, also a card?
3. That stamp 4 allows me to work.
4. I swear I remember reading smwhere that "if you intend to stay more than 90 days, u need to register with the garda for 150 Euro each time, and that has to be done every yr" Pls tell me im wrong.
5. Ive got 3 pdf files on join spouse info, residency information, and working in ireland. However, to hear directly from ppl who have practiced it is always best.

What I want to know:
1. So usually how long will the airport officer allow Join Spouse visa holder like me to stay in Ireland? If, say they give 1 yr, then can I renew it without leaving the country?
2. About stamp 4, I have read some ppl here put "temporary stamp 4" so is stamp 4 like a temp permit to stay? What is the permanent one then? Is getting stamp 4 free of charge? How long will it last? How long is the process? Do they just stamp you there and then?
3. Ive read some ppl put stamp 4 expired so and so days...... what is going on? does that mean they overstayed? isnt there a required minimum time to renew so ppl wont overstay? Some ppl even said they have applied 6 months bfore expiry? This is horrifying, I mean, I would never dream of abusing my visa, or overstay or breach any law in any country so we do it by their book, right? and I expect them to do it by their book as well. Not to compare, eventho sounds like it, I had UK Spouse visa before and it took about 2 weeks maybe less since submission. I dont know if it had anything with the fact that I paid 500 GBP for it, while I paid nil for the Irish one. Well I did pay about 50 Euro for DHL.
4. I know about FAS, am I qualified to join some courses or get help seeking for jobs? What are the odds for migrant getting a job, considering many Irish are out of jobs? I have always been a teacher here but I dont mind getting more education in Ireland to be more qualified or even downgrade my job description if Im not qualified to join any course.

Thanks in advance for helping me. Im sure I have more questions to follow, I just cant think of anymore right now. :)

agniukas

Post by agniukas » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:15 am

if i understand correctly, you have received a D join spouse visa? this visa allows you to stay in ireland for a year initially.
when you arrive in ireland, an immigration officer will stamp your passport with a 1 month or 3 months stamp (that's a standand procedure).
Within that time you have to register with GNIB, you will receive your stamp 4 usually for a period of 1 year (but you may be lucky and it could be valid for 5 years, it is up to the immigration officer and your particular case) and a GNIB card for 150e (I think spouses of irish nationals don't have to pay for the card, but I am not 100% sure). make sure to bring your husband with you and all the docs.
at the same time you may apply for re-entry visa to ireland, in case you decide to go on holidays. re-entry visa would be free to you.
if you receive a stamp 4 for a year, then you have to renew that on the yearly basis by going to GNIB with your docs and spouse, no need to leave the country.
with stamp 4 you are allowed to register with FAS and enter employment, if you can find one.
if your husband was excercising his EU treaty rights in another EU country, you may be able to apply for EU treaty right EU1 once you sort out your stamp 4 (it just makes it much easier for you, once you have yourself covered). under EU treaty rights you would receive Stamp 4EUFAM. the difference is that stamp 4 EUFAM is valid for 5 years and you do not need re-entry visa to ireland, and a schengen visa is not required if you are travelling with your spouse. EU treaty applications take 6 months to process and that's where applicants get temp stamp 3/4. so if you already have your stamp 4 at that stage you do not have to worry about that.
I hope that helps

scrudu

Post by scrudu » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:31 am

When you go to the GNIB to convert your temporary Stamp D to a "Stamp 4" Residency stamp, your passport should be stamped with a 5 year Stamp 4. It is incorrect for you to be issued a 1 year visa. Your Irish husband must be present with you and you will need to provide a copy of your marriage certificate and possibly health insurance. There is no cost for this Stamp 4 Visa. At that GNIB desk, they will also take a photo and when they return your passport to you (prob 1 hr later), you will also receive your GNIB card which will confirm the Stamp in your passport (i.e. 5 year Stamp 4 visa). There is no charge for either of these are you are a spouse of an Irish citizen. This is not a temporary stamp and allows you to work for any employer.

The issue that you'll likely have is that Indonesian passports are only valid for 5 years max, so the visa will only be issued for the duration of the passport. When the passport expires and you get a new passport, you'll need to apply for a new Stamp4. This requires a visit as above to the GNIB with your husband. Very simple procedure.

Next step is to queue at the INIS desk to apply for a Re-entry visa (also at Burgh Quay office). You can download the form for this online and again, will need the Irish husband and marriage certificate. Again, no fee for this. This stamp allows you to exit and re-enter the country as you will.

As Agniukas said above, as you were both living in the UK together, your husband was actually "exercising EU treaty rights" there, so you were entitled to apply for a Stamp4EUFAM visa under EU Treaty Regulations (plenty of posts on this). This grants all the same rights as Stamp4 but has the added bonus of you not needing to apply for a Schengen Visa for EU States that are members of the Schengen Agreement. This is a big bonus. Not sure if you can now apply for this at this stage.

Yes you can apply to FAS for a course. Expect to wait months to years to get a place though. They are extremely inefficient and the queues are very long for places on courses. As for jobs, you're moving to Ireland at possibly the worst time in years jobs wise, so it may be very difficult to get a job. It really depends on your experience and the are you're looking for work in. Still lots of jobs in IT but none in construction for example. Best of luck with that!

wizardland

Post by wizardland » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:21 pm

Wow, thanks a lot to the both of u.

Btw, I was residing in the UK because my husband is also British, he actually just got his Irish passport this yr (his father is Irish). So, does the same procedure apply for this condition? Am I entitled to apply for Stamp4EUFAM?

I didnt think it would be that easy for me to get a re-entry visa, thats great :) cheers.

Also, turns out, my father in law's friend knows the local immigration officer and we have contacted him, he said both husband and wife must be present, bring both passports and marriage certificate. As for fees, he said: to him, theres no fee. Come on Wednesday and we'll discuss it. Hmm, I wonder what that means.

Anyway great help. I really appreciate it.

Thanks a lot

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:32 pm

Hi wizardland,

You have a choice.

Once in Ireland, you can present yourself, with your Irish husband, at your local GNIB office and receive Stamp 4, free of charge, there and then. You will require a visa to visit other EU Member States with your husband.

-or-

Once in Ireland, you can apply to the Department of Justice for a "Residence card of a family member of a Union citizen", based on your marriage to a UK national who is resident in Ireland in conformity with Directive 2004/38/EC. After six months, the DoJ will approve your application and write to instruct you to present yourselves at your local GNIB office and receive Stamp 4 EUFam, free of charge, there and then. You will not require a visa to visit other EU Member States with your husband.

Selamat datang ke Ireland.
I am no longer posting publicly on this website - PM me if needed.

wizardland

Post by wizardland » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:06 pm

Ben wrote:Hi wizardland,

You have a choice.

Once in Ireland, you can present yourself, with your Irish husband, at your local GNIB office and receive Stamp 4, free of charge, there and then. You will require a visa to visit other EU Member States with your husband.

-or-

Once in Ireland, you can apply to the Department of Justice for a "Residence card of a family member of a Union citizen", based on your marriage to a UK national who is resident in Ireland in conformity with Directive 2004/38/EC. After six months, the DoJ will approve your application and write to instruct you to present yourselves at your local GNIB office and receive Stamp 4 EUFam, free of charge, there and then. You will not require a visa to visit other EU Member States with your husband.

Selamat datang ke Ireland.
Hi Ben,

Thanks for the info. I will surely bring this up when I see the immigartion officer. R u Indonesian or married to an Indonesian by any chance? I cant really tell based on the use of preposition :)

Terima kasih.

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:09 pm

wizardland wrote:Hi Ben,

Thanks for the info. I will surely bring this up when I see the immigartion officer. R u Indonesian or married to an Indonesian by any chance? I cant really tell based on the use of preposition :)

Terima kasih.
Be careful. GNIB officers may be ill-informed.

Once, my local GNIB officer tried to tell me that my son, born in Ireland, was not an Irish citizen since neither parent had lived here for at least three years prior to the birth. He said this even though he knew I am British.

My wife is Singaporean.

wizardland

Post by wizardland » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:24 pm

[/quote]

Be careful. GNIB officers may be ill-informed.

Once, my local GNIB officer tried to tell me that my son, born in Ireland, was not an Irish citizen since neither parent had lived here for at least three years prior to the birth. He said this even though he knew I am British.

My wife is Singaporean.[/quote]

Oh, I am not very clear on this matter. But I did briefly read smthg about a baby born in Ireland to Chinese citizen parents, eventually Ireland changed its law regarding babies born in Ireland after 2007 or smthg? So, are you saying that a baby is automatically Irish if he/she was born in Ireland eventhough neither of the parents are Irish?

Love Singapore. Superb transportation system

Xie xie nin

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:32 pm

wizardland wrote:Oh, I am not very clear on this matter. But I did briefly read smthg about a baby born in Ireland to Chinese citizen parents, eventually Ireland changed its law regarding babies born in Ireland after 2007 or smthg? So, are you saying that a baby is automatically Irish if he/she was born in Ireland eventhough neither of the parents are Irish?
Before 1st January 2005, every child born on this island was entitled to be an Irish citizen. Since then it is only true if either parent is a British or Irish citizen, otherwise residency conditions apply.

wizardland wrote:Love Singapore. Superb transportation system

Xie xie nin
Indeed, but Waterford is catching up. Nowadays we even have a bus on Saturdays. Woohoo.

esharknz

Post by esharknz » Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:56 pm

I got a 5 year stamp 4 based on having an irish husband last year, so I hope the procedure is the same throughout all GNIB offices. You don't have to pay for registration either, so that's €150 you can keep.

When registering, the garda was making some mention of bringing what irish spouses got into line with EU spouses, while looking at a sheet of paper on his
pin board (may have been this new policy??). I had heard previously that it was up to the garda to decide how often you had to register, but who knows in this country!

When I first came in (twice, after a break in residency) I got given 1 months permission to remain at the airport, then I had to go down to the local garda station/GNIB

wizardland

Post by wizardland » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:45 am

hi guys,

just arrived on sunday, havent done much. my local immigration officer is only available today at 6pm. i dont think i can get pps number bfor i get that stamp. hopefully i can get 5 yr, free of charge. its just confusing, the officer at the airport was nice and gave me 1 month to register with GNIB, however when i say the registration is free of charge he said its 150 euro for a 1 yr.

well we'll see tonight.

cheers

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:29 pm

wizardland wrote:hi guys,

just arrived on sunday,
Fáilte go hÉireann!

wizardland wrote:i dont think i can get pps number bfor i get that stamp.
You can..
CitizensInformation.ie wrote:In order to receive a number, you will need to fill out an application form and provide proof of your identity.
If you are not Irish, you will need to produce the following documents:

* Your passport or national identity card

Or

* Your Immigration Card

And

* Evidence of your address, such as a household bill (ESB, telephone, gas, etc.) in your name.
If you do not yet have proof of address, whoever you're living with can provide proof of their address and a note confirming that you are living with them.

wizardland wrote:hopefully i can get 5 yr, free of charge. its just confusing, the officer at the airport was nice and gave me 1 month to register with GNIB, however when i say the registration is free of charge he said its 150 euro for a 1 yr.
I can't say for sure whether the spouse of an Irish citizen is issued Stamp 4 for five your or less, or whether it is free or €150. Don't forget that if you obtain Stamp 4 as the spouse of an Irish citizen and not Stamp 4 EUFam as the spouse of an EU citizen, you will require an entry visa for trips to Europe.

wizardland

Post by wizardland » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:57 pm

Ben wrote:
wizardland wrote:hi guys,

just arrived on sunday,
Fáilte go hÉireann!

wizardland wrote:i dont think i can get pps number bfor i get that stamp.
You can..
CitizensInformation.ie wrote:In order to receive a number, you will need to fill out an application form and provide proof of your identity.
If you are not Irish, you will need to produce the following documents:

* Your passport or national identity card

Or

* Your Immigration Card

And

* Evidence of your address, such as a household bill (ESB, telephone, gas, etc.) in your name.
If you do not yet have proof of address, whoever you're living with can provide proof of their address and a note confirming that you are living with them.

wizardland wrote:hopefully i can get 5 yr, free of charge. its just confusing, the officer at the airport was nice and gave me 1 month to register with GNIB, however when i say the registration is free of charge he said its 150 euro for a 1 yr.
I can't say for sure whether the spouse of an Irish citizen is issued Stamp 4 for five your or less, or whether it is free or €150. Don't forget that if you obtain Stamp 4 as the spouse of an Irish citizen and not Stamp 4 EUFam as the spouse of an EU citizen, you will require an entry visa for trips to Europe.
hi Ben, so i can either get stamp4 or stamp4EUFAM? well i definitely get stamp4EUFAM then. and how does re-entry visa work? should i ask for that when i see him as well? thx

darn, if i knew i could get pps number bfor hand, then i would have, ppl around here kept saying different

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:12 pm

wizardland wrote:hi Ben, so i can either get stamp4 or stamp4EUFAM? well i definitely get stamp4EUFAM then.
Yes, providing your husband is either a UK national who is exercising Treaty rights in Ireland, or is Irish national who was pursing economic activity in the UK and is now pursuing economic activity in Ireland. Either way, Stamp 4 EUFam is obtained after apply to the Department of Justice for Residence card of a family member of a Union citizen. Applications are free, but take six months to process.
wizardland wrote:and how does re-entry visa work? should i ask for that when i see him as well?
Possession of Stamp 4 EUFam exempts you from the requirement to hold a re-entry visa for Ireland. Possession of Stamp 4 does not, and a re-entry visa must be applied for before leaving Ireland, from the Department of Justice.

wizardland

Post by wizardland » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:14 pm

just been to local garda. im gonna get a card in a couple of days, its valid for 6 months while i apply for stamp4eufam. first he was gonna give me 3 months because he said it took less than 3 months to be processed, anyway he agreed to give me 6 months. he didnt give me much info on how to apply for stamp4eufam, just said i have to write a letter etc etc along with copies of passports, marriage cert, visa page after i get that card.

now pls help me:
1. is there a form that i need to fill in? is it downloadable?
2. do i send original or copies?
3. how long does this take usually?

thanks

Dublin2011
Newly Registered

Post by Dublin2011 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:09 pm

1. For Stamp4EUfam, you can download the form here. (Form EU1)
http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/EU ... y%20Rights
2. Original. You have to send by registered post. You will get them back around 1-2 weeks.
3. 6 months

wizardland

Post by wizardland » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:15 am

just been to social welfare, trying to get a pps number. i brought my passport and proof of address (husband's name), obviously i wont have any proof of address as ive only been here 5 days. those werent enough for her, she asked why i needed a pps number, what i used to do. she needs the proof of my previous employment, written confirmation from husband that im living with him.

has this ever happened to anyone? non irish in particular? is this smthg i should be upset abt? cuz i am. i dont know y my passport isnt enough for her. i dont ask to have a pps number, this country asks me to have one.

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:20 am

wizardland wrote:just been to social welfare, trying to get a pps number. i brought my passport and proof of address (husband's name), obviously i wont have any proof of address as ive only been here 5 days. those werent enough for her, she asked why i needed a pps number, what i used to do. she needs the proof of my previous employment, written confirmation from husband that im living with him.

has this ever happened to anyone? non irish in particular? is this smthg i should be upset abt? cuz i am. i dont know y my passport isnt enough for her. i dont ask to have a pps number, this country asks me to have one.
When my family members were applying for a PPS number and had no proof of address, I went with them and supplied a mobile phone bill, addressed to me, and I wrote on the front "I confirm that XXX is currently residing at my address as stated on this bill" - and I signed my name. Simple as that.

Proof of previous employment is not a requirement in order to obtain a PPS number. See here. Print that page and take it with you.

wizardland

Post by wizardland » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:33 am

Ben wrote:
wizardland wrote:just been to social welfare, trying to get a pps number. i brought my passport and proof of address (husband's name), obviously i wont have any proof of address as ive only been here 5 days. those werent enough for her, she asked why i needed a pps number, what i used to do. she needs the proof of my previous employment, written confirmation from husband that im living with him.

When my family members were applying for a PPS number and had no proof of address, I went with them and supplied a mobile phone bill, addressed to me, and I wrote on the front "I confirm that XXX is currently residing at my address as stated on this bill" - and I signed my name. Simple as that.

Proof of previous employment is not a requirement in order to obtain a PPS number. See here. Print that page and take it with you.
exactly. it should be as simple as that. im upset because i feel im treated differently. and y is that, cuz of my nationality or race. i may sound a little too sensitive but this kind of thing had happened quite a few times, u would think i should be numb by now.

thanks for the info Ben

wizardland

EU1 application

Post by wizardland » Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:37 pm

just got my GNIB card after reporting 11 days ago (officer never bothered to call me eventho he said it took a couple of days, but nevermind). i was waiting for the card bfor submitting EU1 cuz the officer told me to. now im gonna start applying, my questions are:

1. what docs should i submit? do i have to attach copies for each doc? how many set?
2. am i allowed to work while applying? cuz i read:

Q.9 Can I enter employment while my application is pending?

A No. From 1 June 2010 you may be issued with a Stamp 3 endorsement while your application is pending. Stamp 3 allows the holder permission to remain in the State for the specified period on condition that the holder does not enter employment, does not engage in business or profession and does not remain later than the specified date.

Please note, receipt of a Stamp 3 for this period is not an acknowledgment of having EU Treaty Rights. This will be determined in due course when your application will be either approved or refused.

3. i was given 6 months temp visa by my local officer, cuz so many ppl here shared that their application takes more than 6 months, i asked my local officer if my application takes more than months, what should i do. he said, come back with the letter from DOJ saying that ur application is received and being dealth with, and ill give u another 6 months. sounds great to me. so do others get extension as well?

4. can i travel to , say UK (with my irish husband by plane, cuz they dont bother checking if i go by ferry) without any visa while my application is being processed? is the stamp or GNIB card sufficient enough?

thx for helping

wizardland

Post by wizardland » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:32 pm

btw, my husband is both british and irish citizen. he just got his irish passport in march. he was living and working in the uk until he came to ireland last june. now is eu1 form still the right thing for me? i keep reading eu1 form is for non EEA spouse of EU citizen (should include Irish citizen as well)

while im unemployed, am i entitled to claim any benefit or jobseeker allowance?

thx

Blueice2412
Newly Registered

Re: Non EEA spouse of an Irish, help me pls

Post by Blueice2412 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:56 am

wizardland wrote:Dear all,

Just found this great forum last night and thought to ask for some help.

My situation is I am from a visa-required country (Indonesia), husband is Irish, been married for 5 yrs now and used to reside in the UK and I just got my Irish Join Spouse visa last week (after Dublin received it 12 weeks ago , well I read "smwhere" and was told that it was going to take 4 - 6 weeks, 8 weeks top, which is not an unheard of case here I believe. However, Im just grateful that it's approved).

Now, I am still blurred by what I need to do upon arrival and Im flying on Saturday. (Im flying in alone, with my document folder ready in my on board baggage incase I need to show some things)

What I know now:
1. As there is no allowed duration stay written on my visa, I was told that the officer at Dublin airport will decide how long Im allowed to stay.
2. Then I need to go to the Garda with my husband to register (has something to do with residency?) and will get stamp 4 on my passport, also a card?
3. That stamp 4 allows me to work.
4. I swear I remember reading smwhere that "if you intend to stay more than 90 days, u need to register with the garda for 150 Euro each time, and that has to be done every yr" Pls tell me im wrong.
5. Ive got 3 pdf files on join spouse info, residency information, and working in ireland. However, to hear directly from ppl who have practiced it is always best.

What I want to know:
1. So usually how long will the airport officer allow Join Spouse visa holder like me to stay in Ireland? If, say they give 1 yr, then can I renew it without leaving the country?
2. About stamp 4, I have read some ppl here put "temporary stamp 4" so is stamp 4 like a temp permit to stay? What is the permanent one then? Is getting stamp 4 free of charge? How long will it last? How long is the process? Do they just stamp you there and then?
3. Ive read some ppl put stamp 4 expired so and so days...... what is going on? does that mean they overstayed? isnt there a required minimum time to renew so ppl wont overstay? Some ppl even said they have applied 6 months bfore expiry? This is horrifying, I mean, I would never dream of abusing my visa, or overstay or breach any law in any country so we do it by their book, right? and I expect them to do it by their book as well. Not to compare, eventho sounds like it, I had UK Spouse visa before and it took about 2 weeks maybe less since submission. I dont know if it had anything with the fact that I paid 500 GBP for it, while I paid nil for the Irish one. Well I did pay about 50 Euro for DHL.
4. I know about FAS, am I qualified to join some courses or get help seeking for jobs? What are the odds for migrant getting a job, considering many Irish are out of jobs? I have always been a teacher here but I dont mind getting more education in Ireland to be more qualified or even downgrade my job description if Im not qualified to join any course.

Thanks in advance for helping me. Im sure I have more questions to follow, I just cant think of anymore right now. :)

Hi,

I just arrived in Ireland 2 weeks ago. The immigration from the airport might give you 3 months and before that expires you can go to gardai station to register and they will issue you certificate of registration card which called stamp 4 and yes you are allowed to work when you have that. And there is no payment for getting it and you should bring your spouse with you when you want to get it. They give now 5 years stamp for spouses of Irish citizen. You can also enroll in FAS, they say they also give allowance weekly. Goodluck for a new life in Ireland. It is a beautiful country and people are warm and friendly :)

fatty patty

Post by fatty patty » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:23 am

wizardland wrote:btw, my husband is both british and irish citizen. he just got his irish passport in march. he was living and working in the uk until he came to ireland last june. now is eu1 form still the right thing for me? i keep reading eu1 form is for non EEA spouse of EU citizen (should include Irish citizen as well)

while im unemployed, am i entitled to claim any benefit or jobseeker allowance?

thx
there are few things to note in your case:

Marrying IRISH:

* there is no condition on your irish spouse to be working/studying here in ireland for you to get residency.

* you get 1 year stamp4 on your passport (or longer 1 depending on the mood of the officer) straightaway at the office after showing your docs (marriage cert, passports, bill, statements etc etc)

* you get 3 times yearly stamp4 and after that you get stamp4 until the expiry of your passport which can be renewed once your passport is. (again dependent on who you dealing with as there is inconsistencies on the lenght of stamps)

* you have to get visas at every EU country to get in even if you are traveling with your irish spouse. (obviously that is dependent on the passport you currently hold for e.g. if you are US/OZ/Canadian alot of countries let you in without visa as there is visa waiver thingy going on)

* you can apply after 3 years for citizenship (+ countless more years in citizenship app decision :roll: ) because you are married to irish citizen.

* as far as benefits/allowances are concerned you are basically an irish citizen without an irish passport ofcourse once it comes to these rights. check with social welfare on that i dont know much on it but i suppose if you have lived in UK and paid taxes over there you can get your credits transfered in EU jurisdiction.

Marrying EU:

* your Brit/EU spouse has to be working/studying before you can apply.

* you get 6 months stamp4 after submitting your case.

* after 6 months when you case is approved you get 5 years stamp straightaway.

* you can brandish this stamp at any EU port of entry to get in without visa for that country provided that you are traveling with your EU spouse. (doesn't matter what passport you hold)

* you have to wait 5 years (+ countless more years in citizenship app decision :roll: ) and should be paying taxes before you can apply for irish citizenship.

* as far as benefits/allowances are concerned habitual residence will play a part on this i.e. how long have been living in ireland, have you paid any tax elsewhere in EU etc. etc. if you have then your allowances can be transfered.

you can choose from the above whichever one you wanna go for.

Monifé

Post by Monifé » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:24 pm

fatty patty wrote:* you have to wait 5 years (+ countless more years in citizenship app decision :roll: ) and should be paying taxes before you can apply for irish citizenship.
That is not the only option a family member of an EU citizen has. After 5 years of residence in accordance with the Directive, the non-EU family member can apply for a permanent residence card, valid for 10 years. The application takes 6 months.

So you could apply for that and then apply for citizenship and the wait shoudn't bother you that much cos u will be sorted!
beloved is the enemy of freedom, and deserves to be met head-on and stamped out - Pierre Berton

acme4242

Post by acme4242 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:44 pm

Good Summary fatty patty,

a few little other differences, e.g. family reunification rights for EU family,
but none for Irish family. But its not relevant in this case.

As the lucky Husband is Dual Irish and UK citizen.
Lawfully, there is nothing stopping you wearing both hats, to the
extent you can apply for residence under EU law, as spouse of a UK citizen,
After 3 years residence, you can apply for Citizenship as spouse of Irish
Citizen, as you do fulfill the requirements.

The Irish Government cannot restrict your EU family rights, and the
requirements for Irish citizenship just requires lawful residence on the
Island of Ireland.