ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Chilly Question

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

prisat
Member of Standing

Chilly Question

Post by prisat » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:40 am

Are suits necessary for attending interviews in UK ???

LoL
Disclaimer :

I am not from a law firm or an attorney who provide Consultation for Immigration to UK.
Information that i provide is not the same as legal advice or legal advises. Use the message (s) and information at your own risk.

kenfrapin

Post by kenfrapin » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:15 am

Not a must have but more a nice to have - that being said, if you are going in for a Senior level Management post then no doubt you need a good one.

Tech related roles like Design Architect, Solution Designer and further down just smart formals is a must - no sneakers and sports shoes of course. Do remove any 'piercings' you may have and hide the tattoos 8)

Roles like Business Analysts, Design Authority, Team/Project Lead etc falls in the middle and its better to wear a suit than not. Still, personally, I dont think it has any bearing on your interview process other than hiding sweaty arm pits if you have one!!

For all management roles a suit is a must

KP

prisat
Member of Standing

Post by prisat » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:25 am

kenfrapin wrote:Not a must have but more a nice to have - that being said, if you are going in for a Senior level Management post then no doubt you need a good one.

Tech related roles like Design Architect, Solution Designer and further down just smart formals is a must - no sneakers and sports shoes of course. Do remove any 'piercings' you may have and hide the tattoos 8)

Roles like Business Analysts, Design Authority, Team/Project Lead etc falls in the middle and its better to wear a suit than not. Still, personally, I dont think it has any bearing on your interview process other than hiding sweaty arm pits if you have one!!

For all management roles a suit is a must

KP
Thank you !!!!
Disclaimer :

I am not from a law firm or an attorney who provide Consultation for Immigration to UK.
Information that i provide is not the same as legal advice or legal advises. Use the message (s) and information at your own risk.

*FC*
Member of Standing

Post by *FC* » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:57 am

When in doubt, I would prefer to be overdressed than being underdressed. As long as the role is a professional role, I would dress in a nice decent suit for the interview! :mrgreen:

kenfrapin

Post by kenfrapin » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:33 pm

FC is absolutely right - better to go looking our best especially for Professional roles

I only know of IT specific roles and hence I clearly mentioned that. As a general rule, suits make one look really professional but in IT, if one is interviewing for a pure development role wearing a suit or no wont make a difference

KP

gd_Shepherd

Re: Chilly Question

Post by gd_Shepherd » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:25 pm

indianinworld wrote:Are suits necessary for attending interviews in UK ???

LoL
Better to wear one. It is a question of blending with the flow. Suits are common in UK and believe me , you will feel comfortable after a while, when you start seeing so many gentlemen wearing them

Remember the saying: Be a Roman in Rome.

Good luck

Shepherd

prisat
Member of Standing

Post by prisat » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:42 pm

Another quick question -

Do we all go in suits daily or atleast 2/3 days in suits (in a week) to office ????
Disclaimer :

gd_Shepherd

Post by gd_Shepherd » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:44 pm

Not really. It depends on the dress code of the company you work for. But for meetings, yes it is recommended so as not be an odd man out.

Shepherd

*FC*
Member of Standing

Post by *FC* » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:07 pm

indianinworld wrote:Another quick question -

Do we all go in suits daily or atleast 2/3 days in suits (in a week) to office ????
Depends on the city you are in and the role you do. I find people who interface with clients/people dressed in a suit all week (same one with a different shirt everyday :mrgreen: )!

example: When I am not meeting anyone and just sitting at my desk, I go to work in my shorts and sneakers (In summer :mrgreen: ). If I have to meet anyone in the day I wear a suit. It all depends on your role and work for the day! ;)

FC