ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation Application documents question-certified

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

jspruit
Newly Registered

Naturalisation Application documents question-certified

Post by jspruit » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:22 pm

I'm eligible now to apply for citizenship through naturalisation and am in the process of filling out the application. I do have a question regarding the documents required though.
My marriage certificate with EU spouse is an Irish certificate, why do they wanted a certified copy? Can I just send them the original issued in English by the Irish state 2 years ago? Will they return the original? My US birth certificate is also in English as well and I can send them the original-why the need for a certified copy?
I'm asking this as getting someone to certify copies seems like I have to set up an appointment with a solicitor for 50+ euros and that just sounds silly when I can submit the originals with my application and have them send them back.

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:58 pm

Good question. It does seem a little silly.

I've just been emailing a solicitor here in Waterford, who will sign the Statutory Declaration on page 7 for €10 and will, at the same time, certify as true a photocopy of my birth cert and a photocopy of my marriage cert at no extra cost, providing I show him the originals. I thought this was reasonable.

I do agree with you though, I can't see why the DoJ want a certified copy and not the original.
I am no longer posting publicly on this website - PM me if needed.

jspruit
Newly Registered

Post by jspruit » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:23 pm

Ben wrote:Good question. It does seem a little silly.

I've just been emailing a solicitor here in Waterford, who will sign the Statutory Declaration on page 7 for €10 and will, at the same time, certify as true a photocopy of my birth cert and a photocopy of my marriage cert at no extra cost, providing I show him the originals. I thought this was reasonable.

I do agree with you though, I can't see why the DoJ want a certified copy and not the original.
That does sound better than prices that I've been getting quoted here in Dublin.
The question remains though-will they accept the original instead of a certified copy?

jspruit
Newly Registered

Post by jspruit » Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:21 pm

jspruit wrote:The question remains though-will they accept the original instead of a certified copy?
Finally got through on the phone with someone today and was told that they only accept certified copies of these documents. They are not interested in the originals oddly enough as they are not returning them back to the applicant.

Aceform
Member of Standing

Post by Aceform » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:13 pm

Does it have to be certified by a solicitor?

I had to submit some documents few weeks back to Govt bodies, I just took my originals along with the color photo copies to my local garda station, and he did it for me.

jspruit
Newly Registered

Post by jspruit » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:44 pm

Aceform wrote:Does it have to be certified by a solicitor?

I had to submit some documents few weeks back to Govt bodies, I just took my originals along with the color photo copies to my local garda station, and he did it for me.
I was informed that it had to be a certified copy and had to go to see a notary anyways to notarize some other documents so I just had him do them. I'm not sure if certified copies by other parties are accepted to be honest.