ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Umbrella contractor vs own company?

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

wabuthu

Umbrella contractor vs own company?

Post by wabuthu » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:30 pm

I would kindly like to hear from personal experiences which of the two options you chose and why and if you feel it is working out for you?

I am currently on PSW and about to start getting some online typing jobs as i job search (and once i'm in full time employment will use the online typing job to supplement my income). For this particularly online job i would need to register as self employed as i will just be paid net and have to hence pay my own taxes....and in future wouldn't mind venturing into more online jobs/services if available to do on the side.

So i am at the point where i'm trying to decide if i should register as self employed and hire an accountant to help do my accounts and taxes OR if i should just hire an umbrella company to take this load off my mind.

I have looked online at all the pros and cons...but would appreciate to hear first hand information from personal experiences. Thanks :)
i'm not a professional, i'm just giving responses from personal experiences or from ukba or ukcisa links that appear appropriate to the situation. currently on PSW visa

Idea

Post by Idea » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:18 pm

My advise would be start with an umberella company and see how it goes for sometime. if your work/part time work is continous and you see yourself doing it in the long term switch to limited company at that stage

wunder
Member of Standing

Post by wunder » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:27 pm

Register your own limited company (it will be cheaper than working with umbrella company) and use online accounting service like Free Agent (way cheaper than accountant - and unless you have some weird life circumstances it will work just as well).

I made the switch myself and it was surprisingly easy. I also like that I control everything myself and don't have do kick lazy accountant to do anything good :P