ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

The Police Registration Certificate and ILR

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

salavak
Newly Registered

The Police Registration Certificate and ILR

Post by salavak » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:40 pm

I have read trough quite a few topics and could not find the answer to my problem, that is why I decided to create a new one. My apology if this subject was discussed already.

After extending my student visa in 2001 I registered with the Police as it was required by HO, but since than I have never reported any changes in my addresses or visa extension ( it was not simply ignorance but I have not realised I had to do so)
In 2004 my status has changed as I got married to EEA national and got dependant visa currently valid till 2014.
This year I am planning to apply for ILR on the ground of 10 years residence and up untill I went through a list of supporting documentation on the application I was unaware that the up to date Police Registration Certificate has to be included among other supporting documents.
Has anyone had a similar situation ? Or can give any advice on it?
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

bb21

Re: The Police Registration Certificate and ILR

Post by bb21 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:19 pm

salavak wrote:I have never reported any changes in my addresses or visa extension ( it was not simply ignorance but I have not realised I had to do so)
This is what 'ignorance' means and unfortunately it is up to the individual to read the T&C on the registration certificate and report any changes asap. The police didn't use to mind if you reported something a few months late but they have tightened up in the last few years and if you missed your 7/8-day deadline by a mile then you WILL get a stern telling off which happened to me in 2008. They then record the fact that you have been reminded of your landing conditions and you can get prosecuted if it happens again.
salavak wrote:This year I am planning to apply for ILR on the ground of 10 years residence and up untill I went through a list of supporting documentation on the application I was unaware that the up to date Police Registration Certificate has to be included among other supporting documents.
Has anyone had a similar situation ? Or can give any advice on it?
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
No one knows how it will impact on your ILR application but it does not look very favourable if you have NEVER reported any changes in almost 10 years. Were you required to report your change of status in 2004 after you got EEA dependent visa? You might have been exempt from registration since 2004 but I'm not entirely sure. Unfortunately you would still have to submit evidence of PRC registration before 2004 I would imagine. I had a 'warning' on my PRC but it did not impact on my ILR application negatively however mine was only for reporting something late by 6 months.

Best of luck anyway

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:40 pm

Think it says on the PC info sheet that you can get fined 6k and six months in prison for not carrying it, so they do take it seriously.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

salavak
Newly Registered

Post by salavak » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:10 pm

Thanks for your comments guys.
I think I just apply for another PC, submit it with my application for ILR and hope for the best.

bb21

Post by bb21 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:38 am

Wanderer wrote:Think it says on the PC info sheet that you can get fined 6k and six months in prison for not carrying it, so they do take it seriously.
They are the standard terms I think, but it'll take a few steps to get there with the first being a warning.

IMO the training in this area varies greatly amongst different forces (of course as some areas don't have as many immigrants as others). For example, I got told off by Thames Valley Police in Reading for reporting a change of circumstance 3 days late. Then a year later Devon & Cornwall Constabulary in Exeter didn't know what to do with the Green booklet. They did exactly what I told them to do, to record, etc, and had to call me back a week later to apologise for forgetting to record one other piece of information. Then the following year Hampshire Constabulary laughed off my nervous disposition about telling them 5 days late for change of address and lightly brushed it off by saying "make sure you don't do it again".

mimimt

Post by mimimt » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:52 pm

I got really scared last night as I'm about to extend my Tier 2 on Friday and then ILR in a month (Sadly, my visa is 7 days short even with the 28 days concession). I reported my change of address this morning. I actually moved almost 3 years ago. Luckily, the local police was nice (the place that I moved to is very close to where I used to live) and I don't have any official warning on my PRC.

Hope my Tier 2 on Friday and ILR in a month all go well. I will report back just to keep every one else with similar problems updated.

dimsav

PRC and passport exchange

Post by dimsav » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:21 pm

We exchanged our national passports in April but realised that this also had to be reported to the police only recently. So, I did it - it went quite smoothly though I got verbally warned and informed on requirement of reporting any changes within 7 days, and strongly recommended not to delay next time. After the paperwork being completed, I got my PRC back but there was NO stamp or record about my new passport put there explicitly. I read somewhere that this is quite usual. Now comes the question:

A week after me, my daughter reported similar changes, to the same place, BUT she got a stamp on her PRC with details of her new passport. So, what is normal?

Should I be worried that I didn't get explicit record on my PRC, and what to do then?.. Anybody with similar experience please comment...

dimsav

Re: PRC and passport exchange

Post by dimsav » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:27 pm

dimsav wrote:We exchanged our national passports in April but realised that this also had to be reported to the police only recently. So, I did it - it went quite smoothly though I got verbally warned and informed on requirement of reporting any changes within 7 days, and strongly recommended not to delay next time. After the paperwork being completed, I got my PRC back but there was NO stamp or record about my new passport put there explicitly. I read somewhere that this is quite usual. Now comes the question:

A week after me, my daughter reported similar changes, to the same place, BUT she got a stamp on her PRC with details of her new passport. So, what is normal?

Should I be worried that I didn't get explicit record on my PRC, and what to do then?.. Anybody with similar experience please comment...
OK, I have clarified the above issue by myself and here is the answer... perhaps, it could be of use for someone else.

I phoned today Immigration Department of the local police and was told by an officer there that the only notes that need to be explicitly put on PRC are the changes of address, job and visa. The other changes, like a new passport in my case, need not be noticed on PRC itself but, of course, must be reported to the police in due time - they will update your records in their database accordingly.