ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Notarised copy of my passport

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

IzzyA
Newly Registered

Notarised copy of my passport

Post by IzzyA » Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:14 am

Hi everyone

Re Fiance visa application to be made in Canada, instead of getting a copy of my UK passport notarised (which I believe will be very expensive) is it OK to get a certified copy instead??

Cheers

batleykhan

Post by batleykhan » Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:19 am

Yes certified copies should suffice

blessed78
Newly Registered

Post by blessed78 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:00 am

Is it really that expensive? Ours cost £10, but that was in rural England.

batleykhan

Post by batleykhan » Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:07 pm

£10 is max you should pay to have them certified by a solicitor

IzzyA
Newly Registered

Post by IzzyA » Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:38 pm

Thanks for the replies. Will phone a solicitor first thing Monday morning to get this settled immediately. I'm hoping that it can be done in a day or so, and it's not a long protracted procedure. Do you think I should also get them to certify the pages that have my entry stamps to Canada, to add proof to my trips to visit my fiance, or will photocopies of those pages suffice?

Cheers

batleykhan

Post by batleykhan » Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:43 pm

Do every page to be on the safe side. Should still be a max 10 quid. Its a 10 minutes job by the way

blessed78
Newly Registered

Post by blessed78 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:49 am

Yes, get notarised copies of the entry and exit stamps, for sure. Lucky for us, our stamps were on the opposite page - no extra cost. :)
One thing - batleykhan, not all solicitors are notaries, am I right? We were told we couldn't just get a justice of the peace or someone like that to certify our copies, they had to be 'notarised' which involves putting a waxy red label on them as well as just the stamp and signature.
Look up one online in your area.

batleykhan

Post by batleykhan » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:17 am

The ones that I have seen are just stamped by the solicitors stating "Certified to be true copies of passport of Mr Fred Bloggs". This is done on every page and then signed and stamped by solicitors.

The reason why I always say have every page stamped including blank ones is that I have known several people to be refused because they did not submitt pages of refusal stamps of countries they visited, but submitted all other pages. I am not saying it happens all time, but to cut teh chance of being refused, I stamp every page, so the ECO is fully satified that he has seen every page of teh sponsors passport.

I dont think you need to go the length of having the red seal and wax job done on such things. You will pay extra for that type of service
Yes not all solicitors are notaries. Infact they are very few about where I live. Justice of the Peace certified copies of your passports will not be accepted as well:wink:

IzzyA
Newly Registered

Post by IzzyA » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:41 pm

Thanks BatleyKhan. Took your advice and spoke to a solicitor today. She's going to certify every page in my passport and only charge me £5, so I got very lucky!!
Cheers

IzzyA
Newly Registered

Post by IzzyA » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:07 pm

Just got back with certified copies of every page in my passport. I also requested that the copies be in colour. Very pleased at the cost of just £5. It was a lot simpler than I expected, I just hope all the other things on my 'to do' list will be as easy!