ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Earnings Proof: My case, your advice!

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

amuk

Earnings Proof: My case, your advice!

Post by amuk » Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:24 pm

Dear all,

I've been contemplating applying for UK Tier 1 (General) visa for quite a while now. I seem to have enough points to qualify, but my issue is with providing enough evidence for previous earnings.

Below is my case, and your advice will be greatly appreciated.

I'm an Software Consultant, and I work with both local and international clients. I'm NOT in the UK. And I do not have an accountant.

I mainly have THREE sources(?)/cases I'd like to prove:

Source/Case 1: Local company, irregular monthly salary payments
This is a former employer of mine, whom I've worked with again in a 5-month, telecommute project. I was paid a fixed "salary," but sometimes it was delayed and sometimes I was paid in advance. I was paid in cash - but immediately deposited the payments into my bank account.

Evidence available: employer is ready to sign a "payment history" letter, detailing net payment amounts and dates, which will match the bank statement.

I *think* this should be fine.

Source/Case 2: Local company, one-off payment
No contract or any documents were produced. I was paid only once.

Evidence available: bank statement showing transfer from a corporate account and a label of "functions for the company."

My question here: what other documents can I produce as evidence? I contacted the client and requested that we now sign a contract. They were fine with that. But will that be sufficient? What will make a credible evidence in this case?

Source/Case 3: two US clients, on-going relationship
These are two companies I've been working with for years. I basically have an hourly rate and we oftentimes work on project-basis. I do the work, send them a bill, and get paid to my bank account.

Evidence available: bank statement showing client's business name and the "invoice number." I also have _electronic invoices_ (FreshBooks) detailing the work done. No taxes collected or paid.

I'd really hate to ask them for a letter detailing payment details, mainly because I think it looks unprofessional, plus of course the hassle of having to collect the letters by a courier and ship them to my country. Do they even qualify for a "Letter from employer" even though I was not "employed"?

I have the bank statement as Evidence 1. But what can I produce as second evidence, knowing that no taxes were paid?

To summarize:
Case 1: I believe is not very problematic except for that fact that I was paid in cash AND irregularly. I can get letter from the company to corroborate my claims.

Case 2: bank statement is there, but no other documents. However, I can get a contract with the full payment amount. I'd rather not request a letter.

Case 3: FreshBooks invoices and bank statement, referencing the invoice number. I'd rather not request a letter.

For cases 2 and 3: will a letter from these clients even act as a "Letter from employer"?

Sorry for the long post, but I'm sure you understand. Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:03 pm

Reading the policy guidance is *strongly* advised. Documentary evidence(s) required to be submitted by salaried and/or self-employed individuals is clearly explained in there.

See INF21.

regards

amuk

Post by amuk » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:29 pm

sushdmehta wrote:Reading the policy guidance is *strongly* advised.
Thank you, sushdmehta. I did in fact read the policy guidance over and over -- both on the website and the PDF document.

My confusion comes from two things:
1. I'm not sure under which category I fall (self-employed, contractor, etc..) for EACH of the above three cases, and
2. Supposing I'm a Contractor, can I provide a "Letter from employer" as evidence? (even though I was not "employed" but rather freelanced?)

Thank you!

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:55 pm

1. That would depend on the labour laws of the country you work in. In UK, for example, you can be a contractor while being self-employed.
2. You are employed with an organisation when a salary is paid to you by that organisation and you have documentary evidence of employment. Do not confuse "client" with "employer".

regards

amuk

Post by amuk » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:41 pm

Many thanks to you, sushdmehta. I think you, to a large extent, answered my questions.

For #1, I started another thread [1] in which I'd like to discuss that more extensively. Your input will always be appreciated!

Thanks again!

[1] http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=61694