ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

FMRS vs EEA2

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

fml81
Newly Registered

FMRS vs EEA2

Post by fml81 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:00 pm

Hello all,

My spouse is an A8 national who has held a WRS registration card for approximately 2 months.

I'm currently in the UK and working with no problems with my EEA FP, but would like to get started down the UK citizenship road.

My spouse is a full-time student in a BA programme and her WRS registration was a bit of an afterthought - she works part-time and we didn't even know about its existence until I was in the process of applying for my EEA FP.

My understanding is that we currently have two options:

1) Take out private health insurance and apply for an EEA2 residency permit, which is valid for 5 years, on the basis of her being a student, or

2) Skip the private health insurance and apply for a FMRS stamp, which is valid for one year. By the time it expires she will have completed 12 months under WRS which would make applying for an EEA2 possible.

The big question is - would I then be able to apply for PR after 4 years of the EEA2 stamp, or would I 'lose' a year towards PR by doing this?

Thanks for any information!

fml81
Newly Registered

Post by fml81 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:17 am

Could anyone advise?

I'm not sure if I should apply now for FMRS, or go through the trouble of taking out CSI for both of us and applying directly for EEA2. How would it affect my time towards gaining PR?

jackEM

Post by jackEM » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:30 am

You dont need private health insurance IN ANY CASE, as long as she is working. Doesn't matter part-time or full time.

But u cant apply for EEA2, as she has not completed 12 months employment,
your only option is FMRS, with part-time employment documents.

fml81
Newly Registered

Post by fml81 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:08 pm

jackEM wrote:You dont need private health insurance IN ANY CASE, as long as she is working. Doesn't matter part-time or full time.

But u cant apply for EEA2, as she has not completed 12 months employment,
your only option is FMRS, with part-time employment documents.
Not true. I can apply for EEA2 as she is a full-time student, provided that private health insurance has been taken out, thereby bypassing the 12 months under WRS rule for those who only work.

The question was, and still is, if the year under FMRS counts towards my PR or not.

jackEM

Post by jackEM » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:09 pm

fml81 wrote:
Not true. I can apply for EEA2 as she is a full-time student, provided that private health insurance has been taken out, thereby bypassing the 12 months under WRS rule for those who only work.
Ok, if u really wanna take the insurance out, upto you.

fml81
Newly Registered

Post by fml81 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:39 pm

jackEM wrote: Ok, if u really wanna take the insurance out, upto you.
Obviously I'd rather not. It all depends on if the year under FMRS counts towards PR.

Interesting that you edited your post to remove the part of your reply where you said it does indeed count.

Perhaps an experienced member of the forum could weigh in on this?

Thanks.