ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

patter of interview, is certification an advantage?

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

vet

patter of interview, is certification an advantage?

Post by vet » Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:18 pm

Hey Guys, I am planning to move to UK in the month of September. I have 6.5 years of web development experience using Microsoft Dot Net. I have only a month left in front of me to prepare for the interviews. So, i am trying to come up with a strategy for my learning :)

in UK, Do the employers usually seek people who is fully specialized in a particular field? are the interview questions are generally very detailed / in depth and specific to that particular field? Or Do they seek people who can fit into any role and have an overall idea about all the related technologies ?

So, either i can spend all my time preparing for a certification in Dot Net. Does certification really carry an advantage ? Or, I can try learning multiple latest technologies that is related to Dot Net.

Seeking expert's opinion .. Thanks in advance

kenfrapin

Post by kenfrapin » Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:37 pm

Specific to IT Development
1. If the role is pure development on a specific technology, the company is usually only interested in knowing how good you are in that, nothing else
2. Companies tend to stick to what you have written in your CV and try and understand how much you really know - that will be the limit of the technical round
3.If your role demands a skill that you may not have worked on, dont have too exposure to then thats NOT the end of the world - If they have called you for an interview, then they already know your skills and chances are they want to see how good you are and whether you have the skills to pick up other skills as well.

My advice is to be a master at what you do and ensure you also have an idea of related products/technologies. Based on how well you do in your interview, many companies tend to hire you if they are impressed and believe you can upscale yourself and hence pick up the skills required.

Mind you, the market is already competitive so it wont harm you to learn a little more than an average guy with experience similar to yours. Do anything to STAND OUT - that always increases your chances of getting the job!!!! And please dont BS your CV - you will be caught out if you dont pull it off!!!!

KP

vet

Post by vet » Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:00 pm

Kenfrapin, thanks a lot for your reply. Really appreciate it
And please dont BS your CV - you will be caught out if you dont pull it off!!!!
what doe that mean? I didnt get it :(

gd_Shepherd

Post by gd_Shepherd » Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:04 pm

what doe that mean? I didnt get it.
Internet Slang.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 748AAhVS7F

Shepherd

vet

Post by vet » Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:11 pm

gotcha! thanks :)