ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Pls help needed ABOUT UK QUALIFICATION

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

tanvirtonu

Pls help needed ABOUT UK QUALIFICATION

Post by tanvirtonu » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:54 pm

I graduated from London Metropolitan University,London. But I did it in my own country as DISTANT LEARNING programme. Means I studied in my country but my course/exam e.t.c is conducted by London Metropolitan University in London. My certificate is issued by London Metropolitan University as a student of London Metropolitan University, there is no mention of my country or the affiliated institute of London Metropolitan University that I studied in my country. This is a complete UK Qualification BUT taught in my own country. Now can I claim 5 points for UK Qualification under Tier 1 (General). I have never been to UK to study the course but the course is completely conducted/maintained/controlled by London Metropolitan University under the direct supervision of British Council of my country. DO I DESERVE TO CLAIM THAT 5 Points? I have only the certificate and transcripts provided by London Metropolitan University.
THANX A LOT.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Re: Pls help needed ABOUT UK QUALIFICATION

Post by geriatrix » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:42 pm

tanvirtonu wrote: can I claim 5 points for UK Qualification under Tier 1 (General).
No.

regards

tanvirtonu

Post by tanvirtonu » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:07 pm

sushdmehta wrote:
tanvirtonu wrote: can I claim 5 points for UK Qualification under Tier 1 (General).
No.

regards
Could u pls explain a bit more why I cant claim that 5 points.
Isnt it an UK Qualification awarded by London Metropolitan University?
Where does it say that I have to be in the UK to get Uk Qualification (not experience). It says any qualification AWARDED by UK College/university etc will be valid.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:26 pm

tanvirtonu wrote:
sushdmehta wrote:
No.

regards
Could u pls explain a bit more why I cant claim that 5 points.
Isnt it an UK Qualification awarded by London Metropolitan University?
Where does it say that I have to be in the UK to get Uk Qualification (not experience). It says any qualification AWARDED by UK College/university etc will be valid.
Reading the policy guidance *carefully* is strongly suggested. The answer to your query is available in there.

regards

tanvirtonu

Post by tanvirtonu » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:44 pm

Reading the policy guidance *carefully* is strongly suggested. The answer to your query is available in there.
Thnx a lot for the advice. Now this is what the policy guide says-

Previous United Kingdom Experience
(Study) – Initial Applications only
158. An applicant may claim points in this
scoring area for their United Kingdom studies
provided he/she has:
• Been awarded a qualiication at or above
bachelor’s degree level;

• Been awarded this qualiication within the
last five years;

• Undertaken a period of full-time study
in the United Kingdom equivalent to at
least one full academic year, or three
consecutive academic terms in order to
obtain this qualiication;
• Studied during this time at a United
Kingdom academic institution or at a
United Kingdom based overseas academic
institution.

160. Qualiications submitted by applicants
will, in all cases, be assessed by referring to
the points based calculator which is available
on our website at www.ukba.homeoffice.
gov.uk. This tool contains information on
qualiications provided by UK NARIC.

161. Points will only be awarded where the
speciied documentation has been supplied
and the points based calculator conirms that:
• The qualiication claimed equates to
an appropriate United Kingdom level
academic qualiication;
and
• The qualiication was awarded by an
accredited institution.

Now after I mailed UK NARIC about my case, this is what the UK NARIC themselves told me-
In reply to my first mail they said-

"Please note that we do not assess UK qualifications. These should be automatically recognised within the UK and you should not require a comparability statement for them.
If you have any queries regarding UK qualifications please contact the Department for Children,............................."

In reply to my second mail they said-

"As your final certificate was issued by London Metropolitan University, we would consider it a UK qualification and will not be able to provide an assessment for it.
I hope this information is of assistance to you. If you have any further queries please do not hesitate to contact us.................."

Also download the Required evidence for scoring sections from -http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/siteco ... iew=Binary

I m just extracting the required portion from this-
Required evidence for those claiming points for previous full time study
Original Home Office granting letter; and
Original letter on headed paper from authorised Institute official showing that:
o The applicant achieved a qualification at UK degree level or above;
and
o The degree involved study for at least one full academic year or three
continuous terms making up one full year; and
o This was during the previous five years

[Home Office doesnt say u have to be in the UK to have that qualification]

After that I came to know(through immigration agencies' successful cases) that all the people from my country who had the same certificate as mine got this 5 points and were granted VISA. SO, DISTANT LEARNING through an
accredited institution is VERY WELL ACCEPTED and deserve 5 points.

Thanx a lot.
Reading the policy guidance *carefully* is strongly suggested. The answer to your query is available in there

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:25 am

:o
Pasting the policy guidance or highlighting the text that appears to favour you won't help. Reading carefully and understanding what is written in there will.

I hope you understand:
1. the difference between UK based overseas academic institution and overseas centres of UK institution(s).
2. what "Undertaken a period of full-time study in the United Kingdom" means?

regards
Last edited by geriatrix on Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

email257525
BANNED

Post by email257525 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:18 am

They provide 5 points for UK working experience or 5 points for UK qualifications which were gained after studying actually in UK not oversease.

It makes a sense people who actually live here have experience of life of UK either while working or while living. So HO keep it balanced.

tanvirtonu

Post by tanvirtonu » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:00 pm

sushdmehta wrote: 1. Do you understand the difference between UK based overseas academic institution and UK institution with overseas centre(s)?
2. Do you understand what "Undertaken a period of full-time study in the United Kingdom" means?
regards
You haven't answered the other parts of my REPLY.
1. The comment about NARIC about my certificate. I told them everything and they said....(read back pls)
2. There is a difference between UK based overseas academic institution and UK institution with overseas centre(s). SO WHAT????? DO they or Home office say/clarify the difference? Do they say CLEARLY that education from UK institution with overseas centre(s) WILL NOT BE accepted? UK NARIC says " As your final certificate was issued by London Metropolitan University, we will accept it as UK QUALIFICATION"
3. DIdnt u read the "evidence for scoring sections" from the link I posted.
DOes it talk about anything like that?
4. What abt the people getting VISA having Distant learning from my country? I met a few.
5. Why dont u urself ask UK NARIC and see what they have to say abt this.
6. WHY is then the point based calculator giving ME that extra 5 points?
Bcos after I selected graduation, I had to select UK as "country of award" (bcos my country didnt award me the certtificate, nor did I pay my country)and then "London metropolitan university" as the awarding institution from the list as an awarding body. It says" the awarding body" not where that university is or where I live or if it is an accredited center. Why is there not any option if it is UK institution with overseas centre(s) or not? How come they skip such an important feature in their calculator and give me that 5 marks. Bcos this is not NEW. Many universities have such overseas centre(s).
7. There is a huge difference between uk EXPERIENCE and uk QUALIFICATION. Experience can't be achieved without visiting the UK but Qualification can very well be. Bcos people from all over the world are doing their 'O' level and 'A' level and now ACCA/CAT e.t.c through British council/Edexcel e.t.c. Dont u think these are also UK Qualification or kind of distant learning. It really sounds ridiculous to think at this modern age that u have to live in a country to get a degree/qualification from that country.

AT LAST, THIS IS WHAT UK NARIC SAID in reply to my last mail-
"Dear Mr. Hossain
Thank you for your email.
As per previous emails, despite the fact that you have studied your course under the distance learning program, your qualification is still considered to be a UK Qualification. Queries concerning the Tier 1 points system should be addressed directly to the UK Border Agency."

Hope u understand..
Thnx a lot.
regards